Intel Alder Lake-S 12th Gen Hybrid CPU Leaks Again With 16 Cores And 24 Threads

erek

[H]F Junkie
"The listing also identifies the Alder Lake-S chip as having a 1.38GHz clock and a...17.6GHz max turbo clockspeed! Better break out the vat of liquid nitrogen, because unless Intel struck a deal with the devil, there is no way Alder Lake-S is hitting 17.6GHz on air or even liquid cooling.

Of course, that is a mis-reading by Geekbench, given that this is a very early ES chip. But hey, we can dream, right? In any event, the listing also shows 30MB of L3 cache.

As to the performance of this early sample, it scored 996 in the single-core test, and 6,931 in the multi-core test. Those are ho-hum scores. For reference, in the Core i7-11700K versus Ryzen 7 5800X showdown we wrote about yesterday, both posted Geekbench scores that are around 100 percent higher in both single-core and multi-core categories.

That is not unexpected, though, given the early stage and presumably low clocks (based on the base clock reading). Finalized Alder Lake-S hardware should definitely perform quite a bit better than this showing, as well as bring some nifty new technologies to the table, like PCI Express 5.0 and DDR5 RAM support."

https://hothardware.com/news/intel-alder-lake-s-hybrid-cpu-leaks-16-cores-24-threads

Wait, what?

1.5 threads per core? Asymmetrical SMT?

Is this one of those large core / small core combination chips?

Reactions: erek
like this
Is this one of those large core / small core combination chips?
From the article: Assuming it is accurate, however, we are looking at 8 Golden Cove cores with 16 threads, paired with 8 Gracemont cores with 8 threads.

Assuming the single core is a bit faster for single thread that would be really nice.

Oh good, more artificial market segmentation from Intel to fill a void that was not asked for, nor is needed even remotely.
big.LITTLE works great for the ARM ISA, but this is copycatting what Apple has done with their own ARM designs except by using the bloated (Intel) x86-64 ISA.

The engineers are not at fault here - this nonsense proves that nearly all of Intel's upper management needs to be fired and/or severely disciplined, starting at the top.

Last edited:
CNBC release of Third Point Hedge Fund Report pretty much agrees on how clueless and un-innovative intel management has been.

After they subdued AMD through illegal business practices in the early 2000's they essentially turned the company into a big cash cow with little innovation. They didn't need to anymore. There wasn't any competition. They got fat and lazy, and now it's coming back to bite them in the ass. 15 years of talent at Intel have no idea how to innovate and be competitive. They have likely lost it in their corporate culture. That's not an easy thing to rebuild overnight.

I kind of like the idea of a big.little x86 chip. for a good part of my usage it's just Netflix and some web browsers, the Little cores can handle that easily and let the big ones nap.

I kind of like the idea of a big.little x86 chip. for a good part of my usage it's just Netflix and some web browsers, the Little cores can handle that easily and let the big ones nap.
SpeedStep already scales the CPUs with Frequency and Power. Seems like someone is searching for a solution to a problem that really doesn't exist or has been already been solved.

The real question, Lakados , is whether it even makes sense to do that with an x86-64 design in the first place.

on the desktop the power savings don’t do much, considering how much the amount of hardware offload for stuff like video playback keeps the CPU from getting heavy use. And on laptops they’re already doing a lot of tricks to keep power draw low.

but if more “general use” systems - the ones just being used for Netflix and web browsing - can run just fine on ARM and have better battery life than even low power x86, it’s possible the market will shift more to that for portables.

I’m sure they could find a way to make it work, but by the time they do it may not really matter. The segment of the market that could be interested in it might have moved on.

if for instance Dell, traditionally using only Intel in high end laptops like XPS systems, starts selling Windows ARM devices it might be a sign that Intel was just too far behind the curve for this tech to matter.

The real question, Lakados , is whether it even makes sense to do that with an x86-64 design in the first place.

on the desktop the power savings don’t do much, considering how much the amount of hardware offload for stuff like video playback keeps the CPU from getting heavy use. And on laptops they’re already doing a lot of tricks to keep power draw low.

but if more “general use” systems - the ones just being used for Netflix and web browsing - can run just fine on ARM and have better battery life than even low power x86, it’s possible the market will shift more to that for portables.

I’m sure they could find a way to make it work, but by the time they do it may not really matter. The segment of the market that could be interested in it might have moved on.

if for instance Dell, traditionally using only Intel in high end laptops like XPS systems, starts selling Windows ARM devices it might be a sign that Intel was just too far behind the curve for this tech to matter.
Well even if it just offloads the OS to the little cores and leaves 100% of the big cores for application work. More cores are better, I’m interested in seeing how it plays out.

I think it could be a cool tech for a laptop which needs to preserve battery, but on a desktop? Could not care less.

I think it could be a cool tech for a laptop which needs to preserve battery, but on a desktop? Could not care less.

Hedge Fund Urges Intel to Outsource Chip Production: Reuters

1609296600847.png

SpeedStep already scales the CPUs with Frequency and Power. Seems like someone is searching for a solution to a problem that really doesn't exist or has been already been solved.

Even further, they introduced Active Idle with Haswel lowering idle power consumption enough to make it act like an active atom.

Why the fuck did they feel the need to move backward with their CPU design just to hit to Atom Idle? at most that saves you 200 mw

We don't need big/little core crap on desktop pc. Keep that garbage on mobile.

This chip is the death of Intel. lol

I know engineering sample. But really desktops have zero need for 8 atom cores. There still going to look like power hogs compared to apples M1... and oh man if Nvidia throws their hat in the ring around the same time. (which is likely to happen sooner then later)

Unless Intel has some crazy new bits we have never heard of or something... they are digging their own grave. Its going to loose at the high end, its going to be too expensive for the low end... and in the mobile space ARM is going to compete in performance terms and very likely still destroy x86 on power usage.

At this point I'm almost (almost) cheering for Apple.... I can't wait for Intel to hype this only for Apple to drop desktop class ARM chips that make Intel look like Qualcomm.

Even further, they introduced Active Idle with Haswel lowering idle power consumption enough to make it act like an active atom.

Why the fuck did they feel the need to move backward with their CPU design just to hit to Atom Idle? at most that saves you 200 mw

Let's hope Intel has abandoned the Atom and its ideas. It was a good idea at a time but they completely failed to develop it they way the should. Today, it is completely uncompetitive in any and all market spaces.

Let's hope Intel has abandoned the Atom and its ideas. It was a good idea at a time but they completely failed to develop it they way the should. Today, it is completely uncompetitive in any and all market spaces.
Those P54C cores in the Larrabee were pretty weak too :(

"Intel's Larrabee multicore architecture project uses a processor core derived from a P5 core (P54C), augmented by multithreading, 64-bit instructions, and a 16-wide vector processing unit.[15] Intel's low-powered Bonnell microarchitecture employed in early Atom processor cores also uses an in-order dual pipeline similar to P5.[16]"

Those P54C cores in the Larrabee were pretty weak too :(

"Intel's Larrabee multicore architecture project uses a processor core derived from a P5 core (P54C), augmented by multithreading, 64-bit instructions, and a 16-wide vector processing unit.[15] Intel's low-powered Bonnell microarchitecture employed in early Atom processor cores also uses an in-order dual pipeline similar to P5.[16]"

And I feel the pain. I had a number of Atom powered Netbooks and Compute Stickes over the years. They had great initial ideas and features but were all neutered to keep from competing with other Intel products so they all withered on the vine. For all of those apps various AMD APU's do the job today.

We don't need big/little core crap on desktop pc. Keep that garbage on mobile.
Disagree. Energy savings = smaller utility bill, quieter/cooler operation and better for planet. I'm not some green activist (at all)...just saying.

However...Intel isn't likely to pull off a convincing case for these advantages in their products as once you do try to compute something w/their chips...they burn through any savings.

Disagree. Energy savings = smaller utility bill, quieter/cooler operation and better for planet. I'm not some green activist (at all)...just saying.

However...Intel isn't likely to pull off a convincing case for these advantages in their products as once you do try to compute something w/their chips...they burn through any savings.
Your cpu spends more time at low wattage idle than high wattage usage.

If you fish a dime out of the sewer you'll probably break even.

Your cpu spends more time at low wattage idle than high wattage usage.

If you fish a dime out of the sewer you'll probably break even.

Right, adding a second stick of ram to your desktop system will probably use more power than this would save.

Intel Active Idle was the magic that made the Haswell Macbook Pros hit over 10 hours light battery usage.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7085/the-2013-macbook-air-review-13inch/6

55644.png

Since then, they have been doing slow improvements over Active idle over the last 8 years, and become desperate for massive progresss again!

Right, adding a second stick of ram to your desktop system will probably use more power than this would save.

Intel Active Idle was the magic that made the Haswell Macbook Pros hit over 10 hours light battery usage.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7085/the-2013-macbook-air-review-13inch/6

View attachment 314046

Since then, they have been doing slow improvements over Active idle over the last 8 years, and become desperate for massive progresss again!
"Intel Alder Lake PCIe 5.0 Configuration Reportedly Detailed In Coreboot" -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-alder-lake-s-cpu-pcie-5-configuration-detailed-coreboot

I'll bump this thread in December 2021 Intel said for years chips were going mobile. No way would the abandoned Desktop users they might be the minority in a decade or more.

Reactions: erek
like this
Back