intel ahci or windows ahci driver for sata3 ssd?

mobbmann

n00b
I have an asus maximus v gene mobo and a samsung 840 pro 256gb ssd. I was wondering if there is any difference between using the intel ahci driver which comes bundled with the rapid storage technology or use the windows ahci driver is the default. any idea which I should use and why?

The Intel driver is faster and actually supports everything hardware feature wise.

I am probably wrong but I remember reading that the intel ahci driver is the MS ahci with just some features added.

While I have no AHCI support, that is entirely due to a chipset quirk (for some weird reason, Intel G41 + ICH7, despite being consumer-stable and corporate-stable, does NOT support AHCI, despite supporting every Core 2 and their LGA775 progeny); I've had AHCI support previously, back to the Intel 875P/ICH5SR tag-team and Windows XP. AHCI is always better than non-AHCI when the chipset supports it, and Intel's AHCI support (other than this quirk) is top-drawer. The biggest quibbles with AHCI is that implementations for non-Intel SATA controllers are controller-specific, and that you cannot transition at all between AHCI and non-AHCI without a reinstall of the OS. (That is what will make departing G41 a late-night exercise for me - having to reinstall all my boot-drive-based software, not just Windows.

Back