Intel 8700K and 8600K Coffee Lake Reviewed at Lab501

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
A Romanian site, LAB501, has posted its full review of Intel's new Coffee Lake processors in the form of the Core i7-8700K and Core i5-8600K. Translated link here, but the site is very slow to load. Overclocking took it to an "easy" 5.1GHz, however I would expect some very high temperatures. A good delidding will be needed for sure. Thanks cageymaru.

Check out all the graphs.

Coffee Lake is here, the technological progress is real, and Intel has managed a big day launch, as I have not seen for many years. For this reason, next week you will be able to read a second review centered on 8600K, which will complement the information we provide today. Until then, we can not close this release without thanks to those who have made it possible, to those who have restored the competition to the forefront and gave Intel to a serious reason to get on the job. For Coffee Lake, for 4 cores on Core i3, for 6 cores on Core i5, for 5GHz in day-to-day use, let's all thank AMD for good. Thank you AMD for making this possible !!!

Those graphs make me realize what it must be like to be colorblind

I actually do have a slight colorblindness but the good thing is the list on the right side seems to be in the same order as the graph on the left so you dont' really need to see the color to know which processor goes to which graph / bar

see my first post for why i might be wrong but there is really only 3 different colors of bar graph despite it being many different bars. really the colors are just staggered so that the bars dont' blend together

My eyes! The goggles, they do nothing!

I can't read that, damn Romanians!

Not a lot of discussion here. Could be it's a Friday evening. Or could be not many are planning an upgrade to this. Probably a little truth in both.

I personally think this is a bad upgrade path for people since you can get a 7820x for $549 from Microcenter. This makes the price difference for a lot of performance only $150 dollars between the two.

I haven't done a lot of benchmarks but I have my new 7820x at 4.7ghz handbrake stable 30'ish minutes. temps around 75 - 76c at full load.

worst graphs ever!
the colors change and several have the same color

Came here to say exactly this.

Seems they don't teach proper graph making in Romania. (but they can make the fuck out a 7.62 assault rifle) lol

Not a lot of discussion here. Could be it's a Friday evening. Or could be not many are planning an upgrade to this. Probably a little truth in both.

I personally think this is a bad upgrade path for people since you can get a 7820x for $549 from Microcenter. This makes the price difference for a lot of performance only $150 dollars between the two.

I haven't done a lot of benchmarks but I have my new 7820x at 4.7ghz handbrake stable 30'ish minutes. temps around 75 - 76c at full load.

until it comes from one of the more trusted sites there isn't much to say.

So this can crush Ryzen if 8700k = 1800x on price.... 60Hz monitors they'd still be basically equivalent though.

But yeah, competition is definitely good consumers all around.

Hard to disambiguate those graphs. Very poor. It looks like the 8700K at stock is faster than the 1800X, across the board. Did they get the 8700K to 5 GHz?

Dude you keep pimping that 7820- you gotta upgrade your signature!

You always make a convincing argument.
I'm just getting into Plex and my 3770 does a pretty good job in Handbrake and I can't help but think that either of these would be a nice upgrade in a new rig.

I debated not waiting for the 8700k and getting a 7820x but all total between cpu, a *good* motherboard and two more sticks of b-die ddr4 it really didn't look appealing to me and would have easily cost almost double what a 8700k and a Maximus X Apex is going to run me. 360-380 cpu + 300-340 mobo = 660-720 usd my best estimate range based on announced prices on both. 7820x = 580 here (no microcenter just frys and a local chain) + Rampage VI Apex 400 2x 8gb more sticks of 4266 DDR4 = 225 total of 1,205 USD. thats an easy 500 dollars more plus i'd eventually want to send the 7820x off to get delidded and/or buy a delidder for coffee lake i already have one that will get the job done :)

Is a really tough choice though x299 is a very flexible platform for overclockers and i do possibly see myself eventually buying into it just for benchmarking comps eventually.

I debated not waiting for the 8700k and getting a 7820x but all total between cpu, a *good* motherboard and two more sticks of b-die ddr4 it really didn't look appealing to me and would have easily cost almost double what a 8700k and a Maximus X Apex is going to run me. 360-380 cpu + 300-340 mobo = 660-720 usd my best estimate range based on announced prices on both. 7820x = 580 here (no microcenter just frys and a local chain) + Rampage VI Apex 400 2x 8gb more sticks of 4266 DDR4 = 225 total of 1,205 USD. thats an easy 500 dollars more plus i'd eventually want to send the 7820x off to get delidded and/or buy a delidder for coffee lake i already have one that will get the job done :)

Is a really tough choice though x299 is a very flexible platform for overclockers and i do possibly see myself eventually buying into it just for benchmarking comps eventually.

Just trying to under stand the differences...
So in order to utilize one of the main advantages of the 7820x, you basically have to use 32 gigs of memory, to make use of the extra lanes.... Is that right?

I could see this being what makes me upgrade from the 4770k platform. I'm not sure if AMD was the cause of the 8 series being a big improvement, the Ryzen only just launched. I would imagine it takes longer to go from planning to market than the time since Ryzen's first reviews came.

Just trying to under stand the differences...
So in order to utilize one of the main advantages of the 7820x, you basically have to use 32 gigs of memory, to make use of the extra lanes.... Is that right?

quad channel vs dual channel. one could run it in dual channel but its lost memory performance on a platform made to use quad channel DDR4

I could see this being what makes me upgrade from the 4770k platform. I'm not sure if AMD was the cause of the 8 series being a big improvement, the Ryzen only just launched. I would imagine it takes longer to go from planning to market than the time since Ryzen's first reviews came.

6 core coffee lake's been on intel's roadmap but after ryzen's release they pushed up production dates and launch date of the performance segment of coffee lake. the rest of coffee lake range will launch early next year at the same time all of them were originally planned to be launched as well as the Z390 chipset which just adds a few minor features and built in wifi.

Honestly with all the buzz of single thread improvements I was hoping the gaming numbers might be a little more significant compared to the 7700k. Comparing it with the 1800x it just exaggerates how much better at gaming Intel is below 4k.

Back