Intel 670p NVME $46, 2tb $79 @ Newegg

Burticus

Supreme [H]ardness
Last edited:
With Motherboard having 4-5 slots there days, $100 2TB lower performance drive will quite interesting to some

Localized image drive, storage drive, heck, games stored on it should be plenty fast enough for most people. You could even purchase these to put in an enclosure to make a little portable USB flash drive @ 2TB.

Hmm my server with a current 120gb NVMe drive is screaming at me for an upgrade...

I paid 129 for mine from Newegg last year. It’s a dedicated game drive and works great so far. Stupid cheap at this price for a game drive. I’m tempted to get another one since my mobo has one m.2 slot left.

I bought the WD Blue SN570 1Tb from Best Buy for $60.49, the crazy part about this buy was they had it my mailbox next day, free shipping from the store 15.9miles away. I been using it as a game drive on B550/5600x,

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-blue-sn570-1tb-internal-ssd-pcie-gen-3-x4/6483709.p?skuId=6483709

I also picked this 1Tb model up for $49.99, game drive on an x470 / 5700x, shipping took a while at free.

https://www.newegg.com/patriot-1tb-p300/p/N82E16820225191?Item=9SIAMB8JGG7025

I know, but they are cheap, fast for what they are, and have a 5 year warranty? The one I put in my laptop is faster than the samsung I pulled out of it
You can issue a 10+ year warranty on QLC drives because you will hit the TBW limit well before the warranty ever need be honored. Once TBW is reached the warranty is invalidated.

TBW ratings on QLC are stupid low.

NVME's have been seriously declining in price - I'm wondering how far down will it go? 2TB for $50 - $60 by Christmas 2023?

I might pick 2 these up for storage, have 2tb and 1tb already, 4tb sounds good to me!! :D

These are basically read-only drives - QLC drives use something like 1/8th of their free capacity as SLC cache but drop to sub-gigabit write speeds once you go out of the cache. I wouldn't buy a 1TB QLC drive unless I really knew what I was getting myself into, 2TB is borderline (you still get 128GB of cache half-full).
4TB QLC drives are OK since there is so much flash that even the out-of-cache writes are going to be fast (likely limited by your network or card reader).

So I meant to use this as a steam/game drive on my PC rebuild... but stuff happened and money went to home repairs, so that's not gonna happen any time soon.

I was bored today and decided to put this 2tb 670p into my nvme-usb (o r i c o) enclosure... and slapped it on the PS5. I've been moving PS4 games to it so free up space on the internal NVMEs for PS5 games. So far it has been super speedy, 20gb game transfers happen in seconds, not minutes.

And that I got this for $79 is crazy. It is still that price on Amz BTW

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X4XL71S/ref=twister_B0BVNZW15H

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
$79 for 2TB....wow..

Would these be worth a $hit for ssd based shared storage for VM's, containers, etc? ( development, lab use...not production level performance needed )

$79 for 2TB....wow..

Would these be worth a $hit for ssd based shared storage for VM's, containers, etc? ( development, lab use...not production level performance needed )

The main complaints I saw on here were about endurance / lifetime of the QLC, and write performance. If you're mostly doing read work (perfect for console games) like vm images etc, not necessarily running VMs off it, which would be constantly reading and writing? For $79 I say give it a shot

How bad for minor davinci scrubbing. sata3 ssd is slightly not cutting it at 1440p to 1080p but don't know if the occasional maybe like 5 seperate single minute clips a day would do to the endurance rating.

Ordered a 2 TB today. It's supposed to arrive at my house tomorrow.

The way I figure, if it can last 5 years, I'll consider it money well worth spent for my work PC. I'll move my 4 TB 7200 RPM drive to another system.

$79 for 2TB....wow..

As noted, depends on how hard you run em, sure you can run some VMs off them, but dont expect super performance when running more than a couple

How about gaming drive. Worth buying a heatsink?
I mean that's what I intended it for. It doesn't come with a heatsink but I would just used the one that came with my mobo. Since I ended up using a USB enclosure, the enclosure is basically the heatsink. And it does get warm.

I dunno. I would at best put a Steam library on one of these, and only if the games don't have investments in mods.

But for games that can easily be restored and not constantly reinstalled they probably rock.

Just finished cloning my 4 TB Seagate Barracuda SATA drive to the 2 TB Intel 670p drive. Since I'm typing this now, I can assume that all went well using Macrium 8 (free).

One small gripe about the drive, though. You have to have it secured down into the M2 slot, that this drive doesn't like being kept at the 30 degree angle.

I can't find the tiny M2 screw specific for my MSI X470 Gaming Plus board, so I had to order a kit of mounts and screws from Amazon, just for the future. The way I see it, 12 bucks for a 500 piece kit should hold quite well for the forseeable future.

In the meantime, until that kit arrives, I'm simply keeping it secured down with black electrical tape.

The way I see it, 12 bucks for a 500 piece kit should hold quite well for the forseeable future.
Oh man, speaking of which I love a feature on my Am5 board. Idk if they all do this now, but the m2 slots are screwless. You just rotate the mount until the lip of it rotates over the lip of the drive to hold it down. No more dropping those tiny screws.

Oh man, speaking of which I love a feature on my Am5 board. Idk if they all do this now, but the m2 slots are screwless. You just rotate the mount until the lip of it rotates over the lip of the drive to hold it down. No more dropping those tiny screws.
Just got to experience this on my new-to-me Z690 Hero, it is a huge improvement. Those damn screws are tiny.

Just finished cloning my 4 TB Seagate Barracuda SATA drive to the 2 TB Intel 670p drive. Since I'm typing this now, I can assume that all went well using Macrium 8 (free).

One small gripe about the drive, though. You have to have it secured down into the M2 slot, that this drive doesn't like being kept at the 30 degree angle.

I can't find the tiny M2 screw specific for my MSI X470 Gaming Plus board, so I had to order a kit of mounts and screws from Amazon, just for the future. The way I see it, 12 bucks for a 500 piece kit should hold quite well for the forseeable future.

In the meantime, until that kit arrives, I'm simply keeping it secured down with black electrical tape.

A couple of nails would do the job just fine :D

got mine the other day and just finished putting into my Sabrent 10Gbps External Enclosure.

Intel 670P Sabrent CrystalDiskMark_20230331155007.png

I’ve got lots of smaller drives, but only two 2tb ones and it’ll be nice to consolidate some of them. This isn’t much more expensive than buying an old 2tb says ssd off eBay! Granted, those have much higher endurance ratings! But I’ve found that I really don’t end up writing all that much data over time to most of my drives anyway.

Bought a 500GB for the OS drive going into my home security system build. Hard to go wrong for $30.

Back