Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe $ 82.99

I also bit when their Black Friday sales went live overnight.

Just as a heads up to prospective buyers: this drive uses QLC flash memory, so don't pick this up as an OS replacement drive. Perfect option as a Steam/games drive, though.

Use it on a drive you don't expect to use completely full. I have 3 660p drives in service. One as the OS drive on my Macbook Air and one as a OS drive on our Windows family gaming machine (games load from other SSD's). The only usage that I found it sucked at was as a cache drive for PrimoCache, which filled it up to 800GB (what I allocated)...and then it still worked ok, it just ran out of cache very quickly and was slow to write anything larger than about 10GB.

For cacheing or intense and constant large writes, I would stay away. But for anything else, they are fine...and don't use much power (good for notebooks). I wouldn't use this a scratch drive for video editing, I'll put it that way.

So fro a main drive is the Inland M.2 from MC a better option?
The inland is faster and won't slow down when full. If you fill drives over 90% and move large files you might notice slowdowns with the Intel drive, otherwise it's probably fine.

The only thing about the inlands and other 'cheaper' products is the soldering can be less than world-class (intel level) and can result in drive failures when the soldering fails vs the drive. (Seen this on other inexpensive ssds.)

The only thing about the inlands and other 'cheaper' products is the soldering can be less than world-class (intel level) and can result in drive failures when the soldering fails vs the drive. (Seen this on other inexpensive ssds.)

Would the NAND version going for about $70 be the better option vs. the M.2 for the inland?

Good to know, thank you. There is a lot more terminology with SSD's for sure, so it's confusing. I might look back at the Samsung EVO then.
To me that's the only difference these days between the more expensive brands of products with the same specs--build quality. And when these electronics don't have any moving parts, it's only the soldering and how good it is that really determines the lifespan.

Back