Intel 660p M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVME SSD - $84.99 w/ code NEFPCA96

Shoot. All this talk got me thinking. I bought the inland 512 nvme and was going to have that as my OS drive for my plex server. Its got rated 780TBW. I only have a handful of users and most don't transcode anymore. Usually direct play.

Shoot. All this talk got me thinking. I bought the inland 512 nvme and was going to have that as my OS drive for my plex server. Its got rated 780TBW. I only have a handful of users and most don't transcode anymore. Usually direct play.
I use exactly that in my plex server. I also have my users primarily direct play. Just keep the transcode directory off there, and you'll be fine.
Edit: It went into service immediately as my plex server's boot drive, I imaged the old ssd. It has 1,485 hours powered on (I run it 24/7 so that's almost 62 days) and 5741GB written. Let's average that to 5.7tb per two months, or 34.2tb written per year. From the first two months, it seems like it will last a very long time under these conditions.

Last edited:
Check out win-raid forums where they specialize in that and have tons of good info and tools. Be sure to have an SPI flasher just in case!! Raspberry Pi and jumper wires work in a pinch.

If I can borrow your ear a bit more, can you re-read my question retarding the slots in the diagram and tell me if there will be any bandwidth limitation if I use the (slot 2) pcie 2 vs pcie 3 at x8 mode (slot 6) slot in the diagram shown above. And also which m.2 adapter would work under the circumstances I've described. Thanks.

Put your Plex transcoding folder on it and see how quickly it wears out. Killed a Crucial M4 that way and have just left it in the system because it's on the back side of the motherboard and would be complete pita to pull out.

View attachment 179509
You've gotten some serious life out of that ssd (57k hrs!) that would have probably killed even a good mechanical drive in that capacity.

I'm doing a lot of Plex transcoding on my server so it's using a 970 Pro for this. I wouldn't have purchased the drive for this reason but it got re-purposed from another box.

Back