Intel 5820K against 1800X

Hello everyone,

New to the forum. I had been doing testing between my 5820K clocked at 4.4ghz at the moment against an R7 1800X clocked at 3.9ghz I had picked up from my local Microcenter. With that said, I was curious as to others findings against those two CPUs. Just to throw to get this out there, I did game testing at 1080P. Even though I game at 1440P on my Acer Predators, the whole idea was to connect one of these systems to my home theater which is a 1080P projector. Since I ended up putting a 7700k system on that projector, I am now reconsidering the Ryzen 1800X in place of my 5820K on 1440P. Below are just some of my benchmarks.

For argument sakes, in cinebench my 5820k at its max scored 1260 (fresh install) multi and 172cb single. The 1800x max scored 1623cb multi and a 158 single.

One other benchmark of interest was CPU-Z.

- 5820k - 2002 single/13118 multi

- 1800x - 2277 single/19954 multi

When it came to the games the 1800x and 5820k more or less traded blows. We are talking the order of 2-5 fps between min/max/average.

Sample Games:
1800X -

Timespy: Graphics = 7677, CPU Score: 8373

Firestrike: Graphics: 22,826, Physics: 19,536,Combined: 5209

Tomb Raider: Min FPS: 140, Max FPS: 244, Avg FPS: 185.6

Metro Last Light: Average: 142 FPS, Max: 252.78 FPS, Min: 28.20 FPS

5820K -

Timespy: Graphics = 11958, CPU Score: 6724

Firestrike: Graphics: 20,854 , Physics: 17,022 ,Combined: 8707

Tomb Raider: Min FPS: 142, Max FPS: 224, Avg FPS: 189.5

Metro Last Light: Average: 135 FPS, Max: 255.17 FPS, Min: 24.99 FPS

I can't say I was expecting to see this after most of the reviews. I was running the Aorous X370 Gaming 5 board which seemed to be the most stable. I also don't know how other games will play, I just didn't have the time to test everything. a this point I am torn with hanging onto the 5820k machine and keeping it as my daily driver as it is now. I can always watch and see how Ryzen matures and/or the pricing and performance with X299. From speaking with members from different forums, it seems to be quite a mixed bag between the two processors. Some show the 5820k winning hands down gaming wise and some show the 1800x on top. I understand the multithreaded advantage of the 1800x. The only reason I have the 5820k is so I can utilize the additional cores for some light editing and CAD based work as well.

Quick Specs for both systems: (Windows 10 Pro)

Intel 5820k, Asus X99 Deluxe, 32 gb Gskill Ripjaws 4 (2400), Samsung 850 Evo 500gb, EVGA GTX 1080 Classified, EVGA Supernova P2 1000w, EK Predator 360

AMD 1800X, Aorous X370 Gaming G, 16gb Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666, Samsung Evo 250gb, EVGA GTX 1080 Classified, EVGA Supernova P2 1000w, Cooler Master Hyper 212.

Please note, temperatures were not a concern with either system cpu wise.

Thanks for any additional commentary.

I for one do not believe jumping to Ryzen is in your best interest unless you want to spend money on more of what I would almost refer to as a side grade in your case.

However, the Zen does apparently have issues in gaming to the tune of like .... 10 fps in titles already pumping 100+ FPS. If you have the resolution in your sockets to perceive a 10 fps difference at 120fps then by all means DO NOT buy a Zen and get a better or stick with your Intel.

It is in rare cases that the Zen doesn't bode well in low resolution games and it has been suspected that this is due to how Windows 10 handles the scheduling of threads within the Zen architecture. A patch is more than likely going to ensue regardless of what the anti's will propagandize.

From a multithreading perspective right now there is absolutely NOTHING beating Zen when you factor in the price of the chips into the overall equation. It is a massive performer in multi-threaded environments that are actually encoded for such.

Take for instance Zen does wonderful on photoshop and video transcoding and other pieces as such. In some games that are multithreaded heavily it is a stellar performer but in games that are mostly console ports with 1 or 2 cores at most the zen is falling a little short in performance due to the lower clock speeds and potential architectural differences of Intel's heavily matured design.

Given time and patches and BIOS and developers working with the very minor differences in Zen vs. Intel arch (on the software level) [Hardware is another story haha] you are bound to see a major uptick in those benchmarking numbers,.

Right now Zen is like a high performance race car running on poor gas because the refinery hasn't made the blend appropriate enough to harness the full horsepower. Lets hope this is the case.

CB15 and CPU-Z in your case is inflated by the 512KB cache. Its not heavy loads and SKL-X with 1MB L2 will show you it. And that's your upgrade path if you dont want to sidegrade or downgrade.

Did you use ingame benchmarks? They tend to be GPU focused and not CPU focused.

For my gaming testing, I used the In game for Tomb Raider only. I played through a missions on Metro Last Light and Battlefield 1 to get an idea of how the performance was. They seemed generally the same, like I said within a few FPS but nothing to write home about. Like tangoseal made mention to, it seems like more of a "side grade" at this point. I was more curious as the comparison between the 5820 and the 1800X. The numbers I had seen or synthetics and real gaming seemed to be all over the map. The multi-threading heavily favored Zen, but then the single core was a crap shoot. I just wanted to really get some other opinions on what I think I already new. I say it like that because I wasn''t sure if I was missing something.

Thanks for the input guys.

If you already have a 5820k, keep it. The real upgrades would come from those on the "mainstream" platforms, or older Intel HEDT platforms (like X58 and X79).

Back