Intel 560J and Abit AS8 Overclock

gclg2000

Gawd
Well i finally got everything in. From right off the bat, these new chips are amazingly fast. It was kind of a bitch though. The board out of the box would'nt work with 18x mulitplier, so i had to do a bios flash (with a different chip) and then install my new chip....a pain yes, but now its working. I'll be posting updates on this chip over time as i start to play with it more.

The setup is as follows.

Intel P4 560J
Abit AS8 w/ bios 16
OCZ 600w Powerstream
OCZ DDR Booster
Mushkin Black Level 2 PC3500 2x256
Win XP Pro

After booting it up finally immediately pluged up the booster and cranked on the 560J to 230 FSB 1:1 and isntalled windows w/ no problems. As of now, this is on stock cooler first try straight to 230.

E0.jpg

Very nice. I had to go to water cooling to get my 550 with AS8 running stable at 4 GHz. You have a great chip. What temps does the abit eq give you? I ask because mine seem kinda high... Also, I noticed that CPU-Z doesn't show your voltage, mine does the same thing. What volts are you running?

1.45v so far. I quit cuz i think my PowerStream is causing problems with it. PLus i had to go to work. I'll get more data and temps when i get back home this evening.

Little update. I read a little bit more about how others were doing with this combo and went ahead and upped it some. It really needs some voltage mods to get going.

Still on stock OEM boxed Intel cooler.

4_4Ghz.jpg

gclg2000 said:
Little update. I read a little bit more about how others were doing with this combo and went ahead and upped it some. It really needs some voltage mods to get going.

Still on stock OEM boxed Intel cooler.

That is incredible. What temps do you have idle/load? Also, could you link some of what you read about others were doing with this combo?

Sure :)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48760&highlight=560j

(DFI 875P-T board) http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50416&highlight=560j

Some more stuff at xtreme also.

I've found that the AGP voltage seems to help out a bunch with the Overclock. Mod exist to help drive up the AGP/NB voltage to more, i think this would also help a tremendous amount. The droop in the board also seems to need a fix for this too (which exists).

Best thing i think though, is if your board go's down.....its only about $80 for a new one. This board will go down in history, you watch....

I haven't had a chance to play with the 875P-T board by DFI, but i plan to. I just need to order it after i sell off some of this other stuff i have.

gclg2000 said:
I've found that the AGP voltage seems to help out a bunch with the Overclock. Mod exist to help drive up the AGP/NB voltage to more, i think this would also help a tremendous amount. The droop in the board also seems to need a fix for this too (which exists).

Best thing i think though, is if your board go's down.....its only about $80 for a new one. This board will go down in history, you watch....

Thanks for the linkage. Funny thing is, lots of people don't seem to know anything about the AS8. I have issues with the ABIT OC program that changes FSB from windows. Sometimes, it seems to change my ratio from 5:4 to 1:1. It still shows as 5:4 but CPU-z shows 1:1 and it's not stable. I have to do a reboot to get the ratio right again.

well the uGURU settings in the bios are awesome. You can adjust just about anything you can think of. And the DDR vdimm goes to 3.2v in bios....not to bad, still not enough though.

It's also fun watching the vCore drop from 1.45v to 1.3 idle............ :(

What are ur PWM temps when u were running @ 1.7 VCore. I cant seem to get my As8 stable with anything over 1.6 V selected in bios.. about 1.48-1.51 measured.

I'm really drooling over the 530J's on zipzoomfly right now. Only problem is there's an $11 premium for the 530J over the 530 which is probably just related to supply issues. I've heard of video cards being sold at inflated prices due to demand, but processors? This is getting a little out of hand.

These E0 core chips with the J suffix seem to be overclocking very very well. I just wish there were more results floating around using the less expensive models in the series (520J, 530J, 540J).

I'm trying to get my cascade done so i can put a serious test on this chip.

my PWM is 36 C

This is the first "J" series chip i've played with. And they do seem to be pretty incredible. 4.4ghz on the stock cooler is freaking nuts. Now it was by no means stable, but it was in windows under that. Anytime i try to crank the vCore up anymore, it gets bogged down by heat and hits the floor. Hopefully like i said, the cascade will just blast the chip to bits and i can get a handle on the heat. I'm also getting ready to do a vCore, vAGP mod to the board, cuz it needs it really, REALLY bad...especially on the vCore. I have the OCZ Booster in there holding it consistant for the vDimm.

damn nice temps. I cant wait to see how ur chip does when some real cooling is placed to it. My boards pwm temps are insane when 1.6+ is selected. 1.6 gives me aorund 80C and 1.7 gives me about 90-95C with heatsinks on them... The new J chips must be wonders to OC, now I wish I had one.

Yeah, should be pretty interesting. The AMD 64's however have proven to be faster for me at least though. It takes ALOT to get a P4 to ~5ghz.....which is about what a AMD ~3.2ghz stands up too. This P4 at 4.3ghz is "about" equal to the 3200+ and 3000+'s i've tested at around 2.8ghz. Now the air cooling on this chip isn't as good as the watercooled A64 Chips i tested, but they are still damn fast. I believe, with the proper modded Motherboard and A super sub cooled "J" series chip that 5.5ghz benchable will be obtainable. Only time will tell though. I'll get some more results posted up when i get the cascade done. I'm starting to feel though that maybe this "particular" chip isn't going to be a gem. I think 5ghz is obtainable, but i dunno about anything higher than that.

It just needs and evap, wire and gas. :( :( :(
It's kinda sloppy looking, but i'm building it just for testing purposes.
MVC_016F.jpg

Back