Intel 4965AGN Wireless Card Slow? Inspiron 1420

vietpho

Limp Gawd
I bought an Inspiron 1420 for 640$ shipped or so from Dell last month and now I've been using it at my school campus.

It has a Intel 4965AGN Wireless-N Mini Card and the network says it's 300 Mbps connection here but at times when I'm using the internet, it would be slower than AOL!

I did a speakeasy speed test and got

20k kbps and upload 28 kbps

A few minutes later I did speakeasy test again and got about same but upload speed went to 4kbps.

Specs:
Inspiron 1420, Intel Core 2 Duo T8300(2.4GHz, 800Mhz, 3M L2 Cache)
NVIDIA (R) GeForce TM Go 8400M GS with 128MB dedicated graphic memory
High Resolution, glossy widescreen 14.1 inch display
4 GB Ram sticks Kingston bought at Frys (memtest 20 hours no errors)
Intel 4965AGN Wireless-N Mini Card

Note: My lil bro is on a 4 yr old laptop and he got upload speed up to 7000kbps...
His download speed burst to 40000kbps and stayed there...
what is going on here?

Max speed the card supports != Speed of the wireless network your connected to.

Sounds like the campus network is the limiting factor, not your card. Heck, I would imagine that quite a few people (and maybe a handful of bandwidth hogs) are online at the same time.

And yes, I have the same network card in my laptop though I've only achieved ~130Mbps, which seems normal to me.

edit: Have you tried connecting to any other wireless networks besides your campus?

I havn't tried connecting to any other wireless networks in the area because a lot of them are all secured.

Also, my internet has been normal in the mornings so I guess they are doing something crazy during the night time to cause it to lag so much.

Back