Intel 4210y I5 No turbo boost?

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't see much turbo boost in my Yoga 11s 11.6 convertible. Following Info in Lenovo forums I disabled the Intel dynamic and thermal platform in Bios. Then I uninstalled the Intel dynamic thermal frame work in control panel. Apparently there are major issues when the yoga is folded into tablet mode. However using video converting,prime 95, and Ungines Heaven I don't see much turbo boost even in laptop mode. The Haswell 4210y is supposed to go from 1.6 to 1.9. under load. I am using Cpuz, and open hardware monitor and I get from 799 to 1596 but I rarely have seen 1896 (1.9). When I use the same software on my HP I7 I am getting full turbo boost. My yoga specs are: Haswell 4210y HD 4200 graphics, 8 GB ddr3l,Samsung 840 500gb evo msata, and wireless N. Yes I am in High perfomance power plan. Thanks for any info.

I don't know about the Yoga specifically but I do know that Lenovo has decided to disable Intel Turbo Boost on various models like the Y50 and my Y510P. In these two models, as soon as the CPU and GPU are active, turbo boost is turned off. If you are gaming full screen, most users do not even notice that this has happened other than the poor performance. When you go back to the desktop, Turbo Boost is turned back on. Very deceptive.

ThrottleStop can completely eliminate the turbo throttling problem in those 2 models and might be able to help with your Yoga.

ThrottleStop 8.00
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0dpSo9k93jDTE1fcHNtbUMwdGc&authuser=0

To set it up, check the Set Multiplier box and set that to the highest value. Make sure BD PROCHOT is not checked. Leave SpeedStep checked. It doesn't matter if C1E is checked or not. When setup correctly it should look something like this but the maximum Set Multiplier value for your CPU will be less.

http://i.imgur.com/gsYHCyo.png

Make sure that you click on the Turn On button to take ThrottleStop out of Monitoring mode and into active mode where it can actively work on maintaining your CPU at its full Intel rated speed. Then minimize it and go do some testing.

Post some pics or log files if you have any questions. I would suggest turning off CPU-Z and Open Hardware Monitor. They both lack the level of detail that a ThrottleStop Log File can provide you.

Edit - The 4210Y is designed to be a low power CPU. When you hit it hard with Prime95, you might not see any turbo boost due to power consumption being too high. When lightly loaded though you should be seeing some turbo boost. The Log File will keep track of temperatures and power consumption so you can pinpoint the problem.

Edit 2 - At the bottom of this page on the Lenovo forum is some good information about modding the Intel DPTF driver. Some people disable and remove this driver but it can also be tweaked.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...h-DPTF-amp-Yoga-machines/td-p/1311385/page/12

Last edited:
I tried out throttle stop and I got it up to 1.9,but under high load it dropped to 1.6 again. However I made a slight error (it was late and I was getting tired) The 4210y default is not 1.6 but 1.5 so I am getting some turbo boost at 1.6. Probably the most I will get on this machine. Thanks for the info though.....

Did you go into the Power Limits window and try increasing any of those values?

Some bios versions will lock these registers to prevent adjustment. If ThrottleStop shows an item as grayed out, that is usually what it means.

You can also lower the CPU, cache and Intel GPU voltage. This reduces power consumption which can increase the amount of turbo boost that is available. There are quite a few settings that you might be able to play with but at the end of the day, it is a low TDP CPU and those tend to be limited.

Back