Intel 40 GB SSD $130 in stock at Newegg

I have the kingston version (I think its basically the same right?) and I love it :)

Plenty of room for my W7 install and all my apps

no the kingston doesnt have trim support yet........wonder if you could put the intel firmware on the kingston?

The issue with this drive iirc is that the normal X25-M is made up of 10 banks of flash in what is basically 10-way raid-0 within the drive. This drive has something like half of those banks, which unsurprisingly results in about half the speed!

Flash is really not a fast tech and it is only when you combine so many banks of them together that you get the speed people traditionally associate with an SSD.

Well, if you guys trim Win7, you can shrink the entire OS install + drivers to a mere 8GB.

That's what I did.

BTW, the drive absolutely flies. Great bang for the buck.

Sequential Access - Write up to 35MB/s

Gross. :rolleyes:

How often are you really going to do large sequential writes to an SSD? Even at "only" 35MB/s, that's still writing at 2GB per minute. Once you install Windows and your apps, the amount of sequential writes on the drive will be pretty much zero. Since the sequential read and random read/write of this drive are near more expensive SSDs, the only difference really is the capacity and price.

How often are you really going to do large sequential writes to an SSD? Even at "only" 35MB/s, that's still writing at 2GB per minute. Once you install Windows and your apps, the amount of sequential writes on the drive will be pretty much zero. Since the sequential read and random read/write of this drive are near more expensive SSDs, the only difference really is the capacity and price.

Point taken.

You write the os and apps, you do very little further writing; the drive does nothing but read. That's why SSD's obliterate platter drives.

As for Kingston's, no, they don't have TRIM. No you can't flash the Kingston to Intel f/w either. Kingston says TRIM is in the pipeline - no word on when though.

If I hadn't have picked up my Vertex already for the same price (actually cheaper especially after rebate - $94.99) I would snag one of these Intel drives up. SSD is arguably one of the best upgrades you can make to speed up a system.

Thanks for the heads up OP. Hey are you guys using a single ssd, or are you doing a Raid 0 setup?

I am using a single SSD. A 64GB Supertalent Ultradrive ME with the Indilinx 'Barefoot' controller and trim support. I have yet to get anywhere close to 32GBs. Currently my OS and all my programs (excluding games) are using 16GBs. Sadly my steam folder can't fit on my ssd, due to the holiday sale I now own over 600GB and thus can't even fit on my western digital 640GB black :(

I got my install down to like 12 gigs without that. Just disable page files and a few other things

Follow these, it cuts Win7x64 down to about 7gigs. (that's what I did)
Mainly deleting hibernation and the page file gives you the most space back.

Do tell..:)

Use Vlite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDR-N2mXL3Q

"Ok lets go to this step by step.You choose the fuctions you like to keep and then you remove lang-packs (1000mb) gadgets mediacentre video and picture samples and themes tv card drivers printer drivers scanner drivers modem drivers speech support and all that goes with it 2gb and twek it so pc with 256mb can also use this dvd you create -i will make a lite cd from ms enterprice then we will go to these steps again , dont worrie you can do it !!
Till the video ill go make it now real fast for you"

[QUOTE="I'm not a crook";1035167917]Use Vlite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDR-N2mXL3Q

"Ok lets go to this step by step.You choose the fuctions you like to keep and then you remove lang-packs (1000mb) gadgets mediacentre video and picture samples and themes tv card drivers printer drivers scanner drivers modem drivers speech support and all that goes with it 2gb and twek it so pc with 256mb can also use this dvd you create -i will make a lite cd from ms enterprice then we will go to these steps again , dont worrie you can do it !!
Till the video ill go make it now real fast for you"[/QUOTE]

Thanks!!..:)

PS..My W7 folder is 11.7 gb..Not very hungry even on its own.

If I had an SSD as an OS/programs disk and a regular SATA 7200rpm HDD, would putting the Page File on the HDD increase performance, since writing is faster to the disk, or keep it on the SSD since once stuff is loaded in the Page File, it reads extremely quickly from it?

AFAIK there is no way to tell Windows to use a pagefile on another disk (D, E or whatever).
It either puts the pagefile on the SSD (Windows volume) or doesn't (if you tell it not to use a pagefile).

These days - most of us [H] members have enough ram that we don't need the pagefile anyway.

AFAIK there is no way to tell Windows to use a pagefile on another disk (D, E or whatever).
It either puts the pagefile on the SSD (Windows volume) or doesn't (if you tell it not to use a pagefile).

Advanced System Settings > "Advanced" tab > "Performance" click "Settings" > "Advanced" tab > "Virtual Memory" click "Change"

Ok let me rephrase that:

I don't see where you can tell Windows to make a C directory pagefile on a D, E or whatever drive.

If you put a pagefile on another drive, it will only enhance performance on overhead on *that drive*, not the C drive with a pagefile on the D drive. (again, from what I can tell)

Ok let me rephrase that:

I don't see where you can tell Windows to make a C directory pagefile on a D, E or whatever drive.

If you put a pagefile on another drive, it will only enhance performance on overhead on *that drive*, not the C drive with a pagefile on the D drive. (again, from what I can tell)

I could pretty easily be wrong, but I never thought page files worked like that - it seemed like a more OS-wide thing.

Especially stuff like people constantly throwing page files on entirely separate disks.

I could pretty easily be wrong, but I never thought page files worked like that - it seemed like a more OS-wide thing.

Especially stuff like people constantly throwing page files on entirely separate disks.

Correct. Zero2dash is mistaken. The page file is virtual memory for general use by the OS. There is no "page file for C:" or anything like that. If the page file is stored on a different drive than your OS/programs, the drive containing programs/OS will not be accessed for page file reads/writes, and this should generally speed up your system. Furthermore, you can have two page files. The best way to optimize your page file(s) is to place one page file on a different partition, preferably without any system files or data, and have a smaller one on the primary drive partition (the one that stores the OS) as well. Due to an internal algorithm in Windows it will fall back to the page file on the least accessed partition, whichever one that may be for your system.

I reduced my page file to half of my ram, works great. I also did some other tweaks which moved the isntall size from 12gb to like 8. I'm a power user who uses my comp mostly for business(Excel , Word, Lightroom, Dreamweaver, Premiere) and I have 20.3 gigs free after installing a ton of my programs. I don't need to install anymore either. I have torrent software on there, Canon soft, drivers, you name it. 40 GB is the magic number for an O.S. drive and Kingston knows this very well.

Also, I keep all my data on a WD Caviar Black 1 TB. Steam is also installed there as well as My Documents and anything I save. I've always done it this way simply because O.S. drives always seem to have trouble first, and this just helps save my data, or make it more retrievable.

I highly recommend this 40 gb SSD. I bought it for $130 from Newegg and don't regret it one bit. Besides the crazy speed and no wait time for apps, there's almost no hard drive noise EVER except when I pull stuff off the caviar black. It's pretty sweet. You guys will like it.

I can enjoy this blazing fast SSD for my O.S. now, and then buy a bigger data SSD for my Lightroom Library and maybe Steam when prices come down in a year or two. It's a win/win. :)

I picked up 4 of the kingston versions for a raid 0 when they were on sale for 80 with fs. I am very happy with them, $320 for 160gb and 600mbs reads. :)

Ok thanks for clearing up the info on page files for me. :eek:
Again though seems like in cases with a lot of ram, the page files are never used anyway. I've never bothered with removing them before now, but after getting my 30gb SSD and doing so I haven't had any issues.

I own a 80gb g2 and I love it!!

The fact that this is INTEL support TRIM and Intel tool box is good enought for me I just order one for my new itx htpc. :D

This is the best technology at a cheap price - great drive.

I picked up the Kingston SSDnow 40gb and I am VERY pleased with it.

Back