Intel 330 180GB SSD $100 @ Newegg's Shellshocker

I'm between this and the samsung 830 128GB for $70. From the bench the intel looks as good or better?
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/589?vs=533

It all depends on what you're willing to spend, along with brand, but you'll probably use this as a boot drive, and the more space the more comfortable you'll be.

120gb is okay, it's what I use, but I do have to transfer stuff to the storage drive on a regular basis.

I think Anandtech said this drive performed better for uncompressed data, so OS drives. Might want to go Samsung if you're using it for storage.

If you already have some Intel drives it's nice to have them all managed by the same toolbox. Intel's toolbox is slightly better than samsungs. Intel support is pretty nice too. Still think it's a coin toss.

Argh. Now I have to decide if I want to buy this or wait for the samsung 830's to drop down to $70 again for my HTPC build :( Curse you ever changing deals.

Snagged two 8 minutes after it launched. Got 1 last time around and was very pleased with the performance.

I got doubly pissed as I booted up my laptop, and noticed how god awful slow it took to boot up compared to my desktop, which has an older Kingston V100+ driver as the OS/boot drive

or black friday could be just as boring as the past years..with no ssd deals..

anyways..got my 2 drives today..nice..Newegg shipping fast.

Yeah for a few Black Fridays in a row, most of the deals on PC components have been about the same as the items normally cost when on sale.

Possibly, but last year SSDs were still relatively expensive. And while they might not be any cheaper than today's sale items, my point was there will be plenty of opportunities to snag sale item SSDs, not necessarily that you'd get a much better deal.

Was it last year around Black Friday/Cyber Monday that Intel had the huge sales on their SSD's or the year before?

I waited around and thought I nabbed one at a pretty decent deal only to see it cut in more than half after rebate just a week later.

I don't expect prices to go up from here, I'm going to exercise some patience...sit back and watch for awhile.

Best,

LC

I wish I would have seen this. I could have used a cheaper SSD for a spare cpu. Hopefully Black Friday has some.

Intel put their 320 on sale last year for $1/GB with huge $100 rebates, which made it a pretty hot deal, but the rebate was so huge because their regular price was pretty whack relative to the rest of the market. Vast majority of deals last year were on older or mid range range SSD like the 320. There were few, if any, deals on the M4, 830, newest Sandforces, etc. (and most of those had been out a couple months, save for the 830)

Not saying it'll be the same this year, just putting it out there. My gut feeling is there'll be decent deals on current gen Sandforce drives that have fallen out of favor, and maybe the M4 since it's been out so long. Any store that still has 830s will beclearing tthem out, but man, they go fast. Stuff like the Vertex 4 and Plextor M5S is also worth keeping an eye out for, pretty good drives that aren't the most popular recommendation so they might see some discounts to move stock.

I wish I would have seen this. I could have used a cheaper SSD for a spare cpu. Hopefully Black Friday has some.

That's what I'm looking for too. I don't need the latest and greatest SSD, just something decent I can slap into another machine.

Back