Howdy, [H].

My current build is as follows:

i7-10700
Gigabyte H470 AORUS PRO AX
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-2933 CL16
TEAMGROUP MP34 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME
EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

The build itself has been... meh. I've built several machines before, and this one has had the most gremlins out of all of them as the system frequently hangs or freezes. Long story short, I really want to scrap it and move to SFF build.

It seems like I'm sort of in a shit place in terms of the current hardware cycle. I am not really sold on 12th gen intel due to the socket pressure issue, AM5 is a few months out, and we're now transitioning away from DDR4. While I love the value proposition AMD brings, I use Quicksync quite a bit on my main machine despite having a GPU.

Can anyone offer some insight into the pros/cons of rebuilding now vs. later? I have specced out like 6 systems in pcpartpicker and feel like there's really no clear or obvious path forward.

Case-wise, I've been eying the Phantex Evolv Shift XT. I would honestly rather build with mATX, but there aren't any solid cases that match the Shift XT in size.

You haven't listed your cooler or power supply. The higher end 10th gen parts require beefy coolers to tame their heat output. While Intel laughably specs the 10700 at a 65W TDP, it easily pulls double or more of that, especially on boards that ignore turbo boosting guidelines (which is basically all of them.) I'd at minimum recommend a 240mm AIO, but a 360 would be better to provide more heat sinking with peak loads.

As for the power supply, it could be inadequate and causing issues under some loading scenarios.

Howdy, [H].

My current build is as follows:

i7-10700
Gigabyte H470 AORUS PRO AX
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-2933 CL16
TEAMGROUP MP34 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME
EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

The build itself has been... meh. I've built several machines before, and this one has had the most gremlins out of all of them as the system frequently hangs or freezes. Long story short, I really want to scrap it and move to SFF build.

It seems like I'm sort of in a shit place in terms of the current hardware cycle. I am not really sold on 12th gen intel due to the socket pressure issue, AM5 is a few months out, and we're now transitioning away from DDR4. While I love the value proposition AMD brings, I use Quicksync quite a bit on my main machine despite having a GPU.

Can anyone offer some insight into the pros/cons of rebuilding now vs. later? I have specced out like 6 systems in pcpartpicker and feel like there's really no clear or obvious path forward.

Case-wise, I've been eying the Phantex Evolv Shift XT. I would honestly rather build with mATX, but there aren't any solid cases that match the Shift XT in size.

Just buy yourself a matx motherboard since it's not worth the money to upgrade to anything else right now

You haven't listed your cooler or power supply. The higher end 10th gen parts require beefy coolers to tame their heat output. While Intel laughably specs the 10700 at a 65W TDP, it easily pulls double or more of that, especially on boards that ignore turbo boosting guidelines (which is basically all of them.) I'd at minimum recommend a 240mm AIO, but a 360 would be better to provide more heat sinking with peak loads.

As for the power supply, it could be inadequate and causing issues under some loading scenarios.
That's fair. I am running the Cooler Master Hyper 212 in Push/Pull configuration. Idle temps are around 36C. The PC oddly seems to be worst when idling. I have run several stress tests (Furmark, Cinebench, Memtest) and it handles those as expected, but seemingly just freaks out when it's not doing anything for a few hours.

The PSU is a SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+.

Back