Intel 10nm/7nm CPU/GPU Rumor Thread : Cannonlake, Icelake, Tigerlake, Sapphire Rapids, etc.

Interesting. Here's wondering if AMD will be ready with similar IPC and clocks to Coffee Lake while bringing more cores along for the ride.

Here's wondering if AMD will be ready with similar IPC and clocks to Coffee Lake while bringing more cores along for the ride

I say IPC is likely not. Frequency can happen since Intel's frequency will decrease to add more cores.

Paper launch confirmed. 9th gen is 2019

View attachment 93037
intel-2019-cpu-roadmap-1000x520.jpg

ok so FK which is it. Q1 2019 or Q3 2018? i thought intel gave xfastest the road map of Q3 2018 to kill off the rumors of Q1 2019 release, or is it the other way around.

One roadmap was for paper launch, the (edit) former one was for the consumer.

A Freudian Slip by Intel. :p

Last edited:
Right, it is just interesting that they are using Francois's suggestion for servers but not desktops.

It really seems weird that they are squeezing Cooper Lake (CPLx?) between CCLx and ICLx.

Is 2019 enough time for them to finish Ice Lake's early yield problems?

Having a dual core do 2.x ghz showing up in tests recently seems that there's quite a jump for the teams to fix before we can get a high clocking 8+core

Right, it is just interesting that they are using Francois's suggestion for servers but not desktops.

It really seems weird that they are squeezing Cooper Lake (CPLx?) between CCLx and ICLx.

They aren't using Francois suggestion. Copper Lake is not Ice lake ported to 14nm.

Cooper-lake-SP is needed on servers next year because die is huge and more time is needed to get enough yields. Unlike in client where they can go directly to icelake next year..

my laptop shall be upgraded to 8 cores once 9900k comes. anyone know if theres any group that tried to make vapor IHS?

So is Intel 9th gen is a paper launch then? It looks like Intel is having 14 nm shortages.

Not sure why 9000 Series/14nm chips are being discussed in the 10nm, Icelake, Tigerlake, etc thread

Not sure why 9000 Series/14nm chips are being discussed in the 10nm, Icelake, Tigerlake, etc thread
not sure. do u know roughly how much more optimization they can get out of the core arch? how much more ipc improvement we can get out of it, say ICL 10nm+ vs right now 14nm++ 1/2+.

Looking back at this thread, it is puzzling how things could have gone so wrong for 10nm.

The most rescent leaks show both leaks both Comet Lake and Icelake on the next LGA 1200 socket. We know Comet Lake is 14nm but it's still looking like we will get Rocket Lake (14nm Sandy Cove). After all, Intel still plans on releasing Cooper Lake which I guess is the HEDT version of Rocket Lake.

We all have known that the 10nm in Cannon Lake wasn't cutting it, but it seems like the more advanced (10nm+?) in Ice Lake is looking like a low clocker as well from early laptop tests.

Intel will want to maintain the gaming dominance and right now Ryzen 3 is too close for comfort. They need both IPC AND clocks to do that. It doesn't seem like Icelake is up to that is why it will most likely be Rocket Lake along the higher core count Comet Lake until Tiger Lake finally comes (10nm++?).

Last edited:
AMD has just surpassed Intel in single-core IPC. Now if they could only get some consistency for their advertised boost clocks... :smuggrin:

In the meantime, Intel is losing its mind...

Simulated 8C Zen2, testing only CoffeeLake, not Skylake-X, and batch of Wprime + rendering + rendering + rendering + rendering + rendering + rendering + non-CPU gaming tests. :rolleyes:

Intel still has a slight advantage in games due to higher clocks and lower cache latency. No matter what benchmark you use AMD is way too close for comfort.

If Intel stagnates on 14nm for 2 more years they leave the gate wide open for AMD to beat them on every metric.

Simulated 8C Zen2, testing only CoffeeLake, not Skylake-X, and batch of Wprime + rendering + rendering + rendering + rendering + rendering + rendering + non-CPU gaming tests. :rolleyes:
You either didn't read it or are just trolling... It included some of both of you bothered. AMD is indeed ahead in the majority of benchmarks, multi and single thread, a couple of games, and gets trounced in a few games. All and all, AMD IPC has mostly caught up but is still struggling with some latency it seems (hence most of the game benchmarks being slower). Either way, it's impressive they have caught up in IPC in most instances (not just rendering), but are still struggling to catch up in games (zen2 closed that gap some, but still a gap). Interesting seeing how far Intel missed their estimates though!!

So much fighting, but over what?

Right now, AMD is just closing the lid on Intel's casket. But next year, in 2020, AMD is hammering the final nails in Intel's coffin with Zen 3. I wouldn't mind seeing Intel in second place for the next decade. They deserve it.

25MU.gif

So much fighting, but over what?

Right now, AMD is just closing the lid on Intel's casket. But next year, in 2020, AMD is hammering the final nails in Intel's coffin with Zen 3. I wouldn't mind seeing Intel in second place for the next decade. They deserve it.

View attachment 184926

Nail in coffin is a bit much, but missing targets is hurting them and allowing AMD with some much needed room to grow and catch up. I'm sure they will get it straightened out, but to what expense is yet to be seen.

Nail in coffin is a bit much, but missing targets is hurting them and allowing AMD with some much needed room to grow and catch up. I'm sure they will get it straightened out, but to what expense is yet to be seen.

Missing targets is putting it very mildly. AMD is hungry right now, and they will deliver for the foreseeable future. That said, I don't ever again want to see one company rule an individual market segment for extended periods. Intel is in decline at the moment, and their CEO isn't doing a great job. He is a glorified accountant who is currently selling off assets and doing just about anything to keep the stock price up. I doubt he has a long term vision for Intel. In other words, he has to go, and someone talented has to take his place. A lot hinges on the CEO, more than you know.

Missing targets is putting it very mildly. AMD is hungry right now, and they will deliver for the foreseeable future. That said, I don't ever again want to see one company rule an individual market segment for extended periods. Intel is in decline at the moment, and their CEO isn't doing a great job. He is a glorified accountant who is currently selling off assets and doing just about anything to keep the stock price up. I doubt he has a long term vision for Intel. In other words, he has to go, and someone talented has to take his place. A lot hinges on the CEO, more than you know.
Yes, I wish AMD had been more competitive for the last few years and hope they don't fall that far behind again.

Yes, I wish AMD had been more competitive for the last few years and hope they don't fall that far behind again.

AMD were total screwups to the point that when the rumors about Zen were "leaking" I discounted them as vaporware. If I had known better, I would have bought AMD stock back then. Unless you have insider info or a crystal ball, you can't predict the future. AMD will fall behind again if they have a significant change in management or when they will hit, inevitably, a big bump in the manufacturing process. Somehow, with their current CEO at the help, I doubt that Intel will be there to seize the moment. I enjoy processors from both companies in my systems, so I'm okay with how things are now. They won't stay like this forever though, that's for sure.

IBM as a perfect example
Compaq/HP as another

Reactions: STEM
like this
AMD were total screwups to the point that when the rumors about Zen were "leaking" I discounted them as vaporware. If I had known better, I would have bought AMD stock back then. Unless you have insider info or a crystal ball, you can't predict the future. AMD will fall behind again if they have a significant change in management or when they will hit, inevitably, a big bump in the manufacturing process. Somehow, with their current CEO at the help, I doubt that Intel will be there to seize the moment. I enjoy processors from both companies in my systems, so I'm okay with how things are now. They won't stay like this forever though, that's for sure.

I'm marking this for 2020-2021 so we can compare AMD/Intel financials and marketshare once we know Zen 2 has been around for a long time. People tend to underestimate Intel too much but fortunately I don't think AMD is that foolish.

like this
I'm marking this for 2020-2021 so we can compare AMD/Intel financials and marketshare once we know Zen 2 has been around for a long time.

AMD does not yet have competitive products in the mobile platforms which is where the bulk of the market is now.

like this
They also need to get OEMs producing more mobile devices using their CPUs. I really hope the 7nm APUs will be out in either Q4 or Q1 2020.

AMD does not yet have competitive products in the mobile platforms which is where the bulk of the market is now.

Not the market they are after, when production can be increased then my guess is you will see them take a stab at that market with more effort. Server and desktop market will eat all of their production right now I would think.

like this
Back