Intel 10nm/7nm CPU/GPU Rumor Thread : Cannonlake, Icelake, Tigerlake, Sapphire Rapids, etc.

Gentlemen settle it with fists. But personally if you quote something you should provide a link where you got it from.
Khelo, my name is Inigo Montoya...

Attachments

• inigomontoya.gif
    inigomontoya.gif
    492.5 KB · Views: 14
Can someone just confirm for me, which generation of Intel CPUs will address the Spectre/Meltdown vulnerabilities?

Can someone just confirm for me, which generation of Intel CPUs will address the Spectre/Meltdown vulnerabilities?

Gen 9 & Gen 10

Cannon Lake and Ice Lake will have hardware fixes for Spectre and Meltdown.

Cannon Lake (low power) is shipping. Ice Lake will be late 2018 (Q4) to early 2019 (Q1).

For AMD Zen 2 (next year) will have hardware fixes for Spectre.

Last edited:
Has CNL been released yet? I guess I don't understand what "shipping" means. Are they on a ship in the Atlantic waiting to go to Best Buy? It just seems like more marketing lingo similar to "ramping up production."

WHERE IS THAT F***IN' BOAT!

Last edited:
Has CFL been released yet? I guess I don't understand what "shipping" means. Are they on a ship in the Atlantic waiting to go to Best Buy? It just seems like more marketing lingo similar to "ramping up production."

WHERE IS THAT F***IN' BOAT!
Coffee Lake is available to buy everywhere right now.

Do you mean Cannon Lake? Shipping means they are shipping to manufacturers so they can start building their new mobile products with Cannon Lake inside. There will be no desktop Cannon Lake parts. We will probably start seeing Cannon Lake-equipped laptops "on the shelves" soon.

Yes, CNL. Fixed. Ah, thanks clarifying shipping. It is mostly up to the laptop makers now.

^
Yeah still remembered the Intel slide with Z390 board at q4 2018. Prolly for Ice lake and release will indeed ne similar to Coffee lake. Seems it be best to buy a lower tier cpu this year and upgrade next year where there are huge improvements expected from both AMD(real Zen2) and Intel(10nm finally).

I wonder when we'll see a 6,8 or 10 core Desktop (not workstation,...) processor that's smaller than "14nm+++" (no, 14nm+++++++ doesn't cut it)
No, not mobile either.

Next year, right?

Gen 9 & Gen 10

Cannon Lake and Ice Lake will have hardware fixes for Spectre and Meltdown.

Cannon Lake (low power) is shipping. Ice Lake will be late 2018 (Q4) to early 2019 (Q1).

For AMD Zen 2 (next year) will have hardware fixes for Spectre.

Good to know, was looking to build a new rig, pending sale of my beast but wasn't sure if Ryzen 2 was going to have hardware fixes for Spectre/meltdown and hearing ice lake wasnt going tobe out until Q4 2018 or 2019... i guess i got to settle for software fixes for spectre/meltdown

DZvGyq6X4AA-vxh.jpg

DZvHLt0W0AEtw08.jpg

upload_2018-4-2_1-21-36.png

Found listings that specifically mention the 8121U Cannonlake part for the Crimson Canyon NUC - It appears Intel will be launching their own CNL products.

Listing 1
Listing 2
Listing 3

Such listings suggest a launch is somewhat imminent - i'd say about a month or so.

No doubt a very basic system. I am curious to see how it will be priced compared to a similarly equipped Hades Canyon system.

No doubt a very basic system. I am curious to see how it will be priced compared to a similarly equipped Hades Canyon system.

Well the early listing pricing seems to indicate about 1/2 the price. Though these could be place holder prices - it could be higher or lower.

Ah yes this is an i3 with 8gb ram and an hdd. I am sure there will be a nice premium for an ssd, 16gb, and an i7.

Ashraf Eassa just dropped a MF BOMB on future Intel product, gonna have to be spoiler'd coz theres so many :D

Ashraf's tweets were referenced on the AMD discord, which is how I initially first saw them. Curious how that dGPU comes along, as perf/watt may not necessarily result in the target desktop performance that we would need, but who knows. Would be cool to see what Raja can do with a real R&D budget and a more realistic project schedule.

We already saw how well Pascal does in the mobile space, due to the substantial thermal savings vs Maxwell, so in 2 years time, it would be quite something to see a 3rd competitor in that space.

Ashraf's tweets were referenced on the AMD discord, which is how I initially first saw them. Curious how that dGPU comes along, as perf/watt may not necessarily result in the target desktop performance that we would need, but who knows. Would be cool to see what Raja can do with a real R&D budget and a more realistic project schedule.

We already saw how well Pascal does in the mobile space, due to the substantial thermal savings vs Maxwell, so in 2 years time, it would be quite something to see a 3rd competitor in that space.

Intel will probably focus on Kaby Lake G type products with their initial GPUs so they can have more integration for their platform - something OEMs tend to love - I'm excited to see what Raja and his team can do at Intel.

Very dependent on wild speculative rumors, but I'm really curious if the gaming focused branch of Arctic Sound that Raja is going with will continue in the Kaby Lake G vein. Will that be licensed Navi chiplets? Is this where the rumors of chiplets came from to begin with? I find it hard to believe that there would be enough time for Raja to have developed a new graphics core and to make a multi-chip design ready for implementation in the span of a single generation. It sounds more plausible if they were purchasing the IP outright from AMD, or licensing it like they have recently.

Edit: got my codenames mixed up

Last edited:
Very dependent on wild speculative rumors, but I'm really curious if the gaming focused branch of Arctic Sound that Raja is going with will continue in the Kaby Lake G vein. Will that be licensed Navi chiplets? Is this where the rumors of chiplets came from to begin with? I find it hard to believe that there would be enough time for Raja to have developed a new graphics core and to make a multi-chip design ready for implementation in the span of a single generation. It sounds more plausible if they were purchasing the IP outright from AMD, or licensing it like they have recently.

Edit: got my codenames mixed up

Unlikely they are using AMD IP for this, Intel have their EMIB that they can use to connect multiple dies. Arctic sound was likely in definition/development before Raja was hired

So long as it's an Intel GPU, it shouldn't have AMD IP...

Of course, I'm up for further Intel CPU <--> AMD GPU collaborations!

Shrink all the things!

Back