Intel 10-Core Skylake-X Core i9 7900X: 4GHz Base Clock, 4.5GHz Turbo Boost

How the @#%@# do you cool 175Watts TDP? I don't even think some of the big 280mm water coolers out there can handle this much heat.

lol that's easy, a cheap and simple TRUE 140 Power have a 360W TDP support, and it's a relative small single tower cooler, big badass dual tower coolers should have even less issues with that kind of TDP.

Look at the last series prices. intels 10 core Core i7-6950X is going for $1650. the 8 core 6900k is $1050.

you think a new 10 core part that is a whole GHZ faster than 6950x is going to be $1000? the 6900K is a K part, not X and its 1050.

lots of wishful thinking going on here.

in the mainstream segment Broadwell was way more expensive than Skylake, offering a very low stock and turbo frequencies, they do the same jump to Skylake-X increase clock speed and still have lower prices. i7 6700K was cheaper than the i7 5775C.

Also AMD Ryzen should be taken in consideration.

But maybe Intel will surprise with $1k.

They could do it just to compete with AMD. It'd be one hell of a blow. I'd love to see a price war. Intel can handle it, I'm not so sure with AMD.

Won't happen, but I'd like it to.

Look at the last series prices. intels 10 core Core i7-6950X is going for $1650. the 8 core 6900k is $1050.

you think a new 10 core part that is a whole GHZ faster than 6950x is going to be $1000? the 6900K is a K part, not X and its 1050.

$1999.99 would be my guess, financing available...

Reactions: dbr1
like this
in the mainstream segment Broadwell was way more expensive than Skylake, offering a very low stock and turbo frequencies, they do the same jump to Skylake-X increase clock speed and still have lower prices. i7 6700K was cheaper than the i7 5775C.

also them lowering the bar from 6 core to 4 core for this HEDT platform should be taken in consideration. starting prices for 6 cores even higher is a possibility.

We should also not forget they have a 12 core coming i believe. Anything is possible really. Could get pushed up or down,with these new ones and now 4 and 12 cores entering consumer HEDT.

I tend to agree but I have no idea what Intel is thinking of Ryzen. Ryzen is certainly a big step forward for AMD in the CPU space but maybe not enough for Intel to feel any heat. In any case, I think Intel would like their newest killer consumer CPU to be better received than the 6950x, which everyone glowed about especially in multi-threaded performance while condemning the pricing. So I think Intel will make some adjustment there. Maybe not $1k but I don't see $1.7k as realistic.

That's why you keep OC headroom when you're on top. AMD want to play cores, just dump that headroom on people.

Still gonna cost a liver.

They'll probably be charging $1500 for it. They could triple their profits for the entire line if they sold this one for $800 and adjusted all the others accordingly, simply because they'd sell more, but they wouldn't listen to that. Their monopoly just screws us all over.

6950x is already $1700. They'll throw this right on top of that so I'm guessing around $1,999 to $2,499 because AMD doesn't have a 10-core processor. That just seems to make sense to me.

They could do it just to compete with AMD. It'd be one hell of a blow. I'd love to see a price war. Intel can handle it, I'm not so sure with AMD.

Intel can do one of two things:

1 go to war with amd, kill them and then go back to rape us.

2 ignore amd, counting on the blind fanbois which would buy intel no matter what and keep the high prices.

I hope they go for option 2.

I've been waiting for an 8-core that can do 4.5Ghz on air with an IPC similar to broadwell or skylake. I would certainly take a 10-core. Last year, an 8-core Broadwell-E (4.3GHz OC) had too large of a performance gap compared to the 4-core Skylake under most workloads to justify the increase in cost. With Kaby Lake's 0% IPC gain this year, I think this upgrade was worth waiting for and probably last me another 8-1/2 years. It's probably going to be Q1'19 before we see the next IPC improvement, with a new 4-6 core architecture on a 10nm process.

They waited 7 generations before using that i9 nomenclature. I'm unsure if I should be impressed or not.

Also, 175W TDP, good luck having a quiet workstation.

With a processor like this, why would the user not use a fucking xeon? At least that way you could do dual socket...

Seems like the only market that would actually push this CPU, already have better options.

My money is on $1799.99 if Intel doesn't do a limited, low volume release. I think competition from AMD will keep this sub $2k.

For video editing and rendering, this would be utterly amazing.
Games outside of RTS, not so much.

How the @#%@# do you cool 175Watts TDP? I don't even think some of the big 280mm water coolers out there can handle this much heat.

My FX-9590 is 220 watts TDP and my H100 keeps it in the 50s while gaming. Really don't think this is an issue.

A 280mm radiator can keep a 10c /\T up to 200w. Easily.

Sounds high, but it's really not. I just picked up an Arctic Freezer 240 which is rated 300W (350W peak), not to mention many air coolers rated the same or higher.

Exactly. Nobody seems to be taking this into consideration. Intel's prices are where they were before Ryzen, and depending on how well it does, they may need to adjust things accordingly.

If not, we just have to wait for them to do some price-fixing, get busted, and get a partial refund. lol

For video editing and rendering, this would be utterly amazing.
Games outside of RTS, not so much.

Yeah, but you could play a game and have the video rendering done in the background with the other 8 cores (given enough memory).

Then again, there might be some bus bandwidth issues there...

Coming soon for the low low price of $999.

$999 would be low for Intel standards on such a CPU.

We're looking at possibility $1499 or so, and the 12 core part, $1999.. unless Intel has learnt their lesson and decides to price it reasonable.

And here I am, still flogging my poor little 2600k. And I'm gonna continue to beat on it until I can get 8c/16t at 5ghz. Not budging until then.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
A good idea is to look at the Xeon counterpart and subtract anywhere from 20%-50%. Usually the higher clocked part isn't that much less than the Xeon but the chipset as a whole will end up cheaper too.

This gives the option for a high end workstation on solid support all the while being MUCH cheaper. I tried using an AMD RyZen workstation and it still has issues. I don't think the issues will continue much longer but honestly I'm over with how long its taking to mature. My next upgrade (maybe next year?) will most likely be the next generation HEDT chipset from Intel unless AMD smashes their HEDT out of the park.

Sandra have failed multiple times with showing correct TDP. SKL-SP CPUs for example.

Come now,

My stock 120mm closed loop coolers keep my crossfired Fury X 300 watt TDPs at no more than 55*

They'll probably be charging $1500 for it. They could triple their profits for the entire line if they sold this one for $800 and adjusted all the others accordingly, simply because they'd sell more, but they wouldn't listen to that. Their monopoly just screws us all over.
For one quarter they could triple their profits -- and then have idle lines for the next five years and lose everything because nobody would have cause upgrade. :)

If they put this at the price some people in here are hoping for, they would be undercutting current prices for the HEDT chips they have now, I doubt they do that. Only option would be a huge price cut of the older chips, which would not be a bad thing, I am sure people would love really cheap 8 cores even if they are last gen.

So for all of us early i7920/930 adopters who haven't upgraded, are we supposed to be throwing the money from under our mattresses for these $2k+ chips?

I made a 5820k rig 15months ago and it still works awesome. My only gripe is dont buy refurbished/returned motherboards from NewEgg. This Asrock board is great, but it doesn't sleep (keeps everything powered) and was not stable with a modest OC after a few months (the performance impact is negligible because we arent taxing the system).

Have had my 8-Core 5960X running at 4.5Ghz for almost three years ($800), be it with a butt load of water cooling.

But it looks like you could get some good OC headroom on this, may be able to hit 5 or even 5.5Ghz :snaphappy:

Still not going to drop another 1K+ on CPU anytime soon... Likely keep mine around for some time and just upgrade my cards to Volta, if I get another four years out of the rig it would be nice.

I agree, I suspect prices will be insane as well. Help me obi wan threadripper you're my only hope!

Seems people already forget what a 12C high clocked Xeon SKL-SP is priced at. Broadwell-E 10C was priced where it was due to Xeons.

Coming soon for the low low price of $999.

OTOH, can I drop it into my Z170 board? That'd be interesting... if I won the lottery.
That would be nice, but nope -- new socket LGA2066. And that price would be, well, just unbelievable from Intel.

Seems people already forget what a 12C high clocked Xeon SKL-SP is priced at. Broadwell-E 10C was priced where it was due to Xeons.
Like if the Xeon price is set by someone else, and untouchable by intel.
And in the end it doesn't matter what's the excuse, it still costs 2000 I'm not interested in the why.
With each generation the tiers should've been pushed down. Instead intel started introducing newer and better cpus above the previous processors. So in the end you still pay the same for similar performance as you paid 5 years ago. And if you want faster you pay more. That's not what we're used to in computing.

I tend to agree but I have no idea what Intel is thinking of Ryzen. Ryzen is certainly a big step forward for AMD in the CPU space but maybe not enough for Intel to feel any heat. In any case, I think Intel would like their newest killer consumer CPU to be better received than the 6950x, which everyone glowed about especially in multi-threaded performance while condemning the pricing. So I think Intel will make some adjustment there. Maybe not $1k but I don't see $1.7k as realistic.

With clocks as those they will not have to worry about Ryzen/Threadripper for gamers (no way for Ryzen to come even close). Other folks... they will have to care a bit, after all rendering and such tasks are easier to multithread and 16 core Threadripper will beat 10 core cpu even with 500-700Mhz difference (assuming Threadripper will reach clocks similar to Ryzen). All that taken into consideration, if they were even a bit scared for 6950 performance vs AMD it's price would have been cut already. My crystal ball says around 2000$ for the 10 thread and 2400$ for 12 threads taking into account higher clocks.
Frankly the worst thing is again changed socket (this time 2066 pins) so bye bye old motherboards. Well, there will be some sweet deals on aftermarket :)

Back