Insurgency (2) - Steam Release

RX3

[H]ard|Gawd
[H]ey guys,

INS has been released on Steam. It is still currently in beta or 'early access' as the devs call it.

I just finished downloading. To all those who loved INS: Modern Infantry Combat, this should be worth a look. The original is one of my all time favorite HL2 mods. I will post my feedback after a few rounds/hours :D

http://www.playinsurgency.com/

About the Game

INSURGENCY is a first-person team-based shooter for up to 32 players designed for Windows® PC and Mac OS X (and in the future, Linux), using Valve’s Source Engine. INSURGENCY is based on the popular total conversion for Half-Life 2 – Insurgency: Modern Infantry Combat – that saw more than a million free downloads and was awarded the ModDB “Player’s Choice Mod of the Year” in 2007. It is a highly intense, realistic experience. This means no cross-hairs, realistic weapon damage, and careful maneuvering.
Key Features

• Experience intense 32 player online action with a focus on teamwork
  • Rack up supply for your team and customize the game’s arsenal to your unique play style
  • Several multiplayer game types and game modes including the intense online co-op experience “Insurgent Hunt” and a “Realism” mode crafted by the community
  • Multiple environments that span several unique settings and play styles
  • Three unique player classes that affect movement and gameplay on the battlefield
  • Highly immersive audio with 3D VOIP to coordinate with and track other players
  • Help the development team prototype new maps and game modes
  • Create custom maps and content using the Insurgency SDK
  • Playable on both PC and Mac OSX and supports multiplayer cross-compatibility
  • Dedicated Server Support for PC and Linux

Graphics are reminiscent of Battlefield 2 / Counterstrike

The graphics are not as dated as BF2.

If you're looking for a more tactical oriented game, than this is the one for you. In its current state, however, I would say that the original INS played better. It is still fun and promotes more tactical/methodical teamplay just as the previous installment.

I hope they can polish it up more before it exits alpha/beta.

insurgency is one of those games i wish had put more time into. i only played off and on sporadically. it was great fun when i did play though. i'll have to check this new version out.

All I remember from insurgency is camping spawns was stupid easy because of the lethality. There was one map where one teampretty much just spawned in the open and you could basically just kill them literally the instant they spawned.

I was very pesimistic about it when I first saw it on kickstarter, but some very nice user videos came out recently so i became more and more interested into buying this game.

Just got it during the steam sale, only 5 hrs played so far but i really like it, wish there were more FPSs with 3D VOIP, it's such an awesome feature ! graphics and sound are very high quality, so immersive, the gunfire the soundscape the bullet cracks .... you name it ! razer surround + 5.1 audio setting works excellent with a pair of good quality stereo headphones, you can soundwhore people so easily in this game, it's not even funny!

Plays like a nice mix of AA 2.x , counter-strike and RO2's "classic mode" or should I say ... Paintball !!!! Did I also mention that the graphics are very good for a 9yr old engine ?? :D

There are no peristent weapon unlocks / attachments bullcrap, all you have to do it is take it slow and use the terrain to your advantage.

Since TWI won't implement any troop transports before 2014 ( essential for maps like Rakowice and Arad 2 ) nor have I the intention of giving any money this year to EA / any other bunch of greedy bastards who like to ship half-finished games so they can maximize their profits.

This will be my multiplayer FPS of choice utill Contagion gets more content and/or save up enough money to buy a 4770k so I can run Planetside 2 properly.

About the spawn camping, it's very not effective anymore because the game forces you to lower your weapons when approaching the attackers zone, plus it's very easy to supress the enemy so he can't see shit :D

I don't remember ins hl2 to have supression nor crouch sliding ( really cool feature ! ) here's the very first steam player guide -> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=199171016

tl:dr 9.49 well spent !

Last edited:
Bf2 project reality is always number one in my book.

also they announce a stand alone game in cryengine 3

I remember playing the old one years ago. I loved it. Took awhile to get used to though.

played a bit of coop mode today, feels like R6 terrorist hunt, was last man standing 2 times, saving the day :p

good stuff !

I have it, and the Kickstarter had me very worried. It was essentially "we dumbed down the realism to make it more accessible".

I was since gifted the game and it is better than I had thought. Still, it is not that good IMO. Most of the maps are small and rather bad.

There are three options for more realistic/tactical team VS team shoots coming up that may or may not be good:

1) Festung Europa. Most promising, built from ground up on Cryengine 3. They claim there will be no unlocks and they seem to indicate they will not artificially balance or mess with the game mechanics.

2) Project Reality stand alone. Also on Cryengine 3, but free.

3) In Country: Vietnam. A mod for RO2. While RO2/RS is okay now, it still suffers from some technical issues and the fact that it has 3 different game/difficulty modes. In Country appears to me a stand alone mod still so they might be able to change that, but if TWI ends up buying them out and sells it as an official addon like they did with RS then a lot of the potential goes out the window.

In any case, I believe all three of these will be better than INS.

The graphic are not that bad. The gameplay is fun. 1 or 2 shot to kills is fun.

Some maps are cool but some are bad.

Not much players, like 32 all the time.

A game I would have play more if I had the chance and if the number of players was higher.

How is it in comparison to RO2/Rising Storm, for anyone who has both? I enjoyed the original (except for the Source engine's horrible clunkiness when made to do... anything, really, I guess) and wouldn't mind looking into this.

Edit "High-on perfect" says RPS. Ha. Do they have an editor?

I will be getting this! I played quite a bit of the original mod. It had the most polish of any mod I've played in a long time.

How is it in comparison to RO2/Rising Storm, for anyone who has both? I enjoyed the original (except for the Source engine's horrible clunkiness when made to do... anything, really, I guess) and wouldn't mind looking into this.

Edit "High-on perfect" says RPS. Ha. Do they have an editor?

Feels kind of similar, but with less innovative shooting/moving mechanics. Overall it feels plain and they're going the "sort of realistic" root. If you liked the mod I would check it out though.

I saw that this launched yesterday so I picked it up for $20...and like 3 hours later it went on sale for $13.49. Great timing! :p

Anyway, check out this post from the developer, New World Interactive:
Dear Insurgency Community,

It is with great pleasure we bring to you the official launch version of Insurgency!

It’s important to understand fully what this “soft launch” entails. Early access allowed us to work with our community over the past 10 months, in which time the game has evolved drastically to shape itself into what we feel has become the most intense and strategic, yet rewardingly fun, shooter on the market. This has always been our goal from day one, but a lot of things have stood in our way. A small team, a failed Kickstarter, constantly running out of money - just a few of the hurdles we’ve dealt with. Ultimately, early access is what saved this game. It allowed us to buy more time and expand our community; vastly improve the game and discover a niche in the process.

There is a very fine line when it comes to early access, and its concept spurs questions such as: “What makes a game ‘final’?” For developers like us, using an iterative approach to multiplayer game development, it’s really hard to answer this question. On one hand we want our product to be perfect, but on the other hand we have bills to pay, workers to feed and simply want to keep building this game. So I think to us, the concept of releasing signifies a turning point where we are accepting our game as “reviewable” by the press and can begin promoting the game to a larger audience...

more...

I remember playing the old one years ago. I loved it. Took awhile to get used to though.

yup, same thing here.
it was just a source mod though wasn't it?

i just remember kills were hard to get, and guns were hard to control.
was a hell of a game.

but from what i hear insurgency 2 isnt really anything spectacular.

On the contrary! I love the new release. In a world of COD/BF madness, this really satisfies that need for a slower pace tactical shooter- especially when playing with a good team.

giphy.gif

Nightfall Free DLC Released
Community Announcements - Argyll
Insurgency: Nightfall - YouTube

New World Interactive (NWI) is excited to announce that the latest free content update for INSURGENCY, called Nightfall, is now available on Steam. As the name suggests, the DLC focuses on night-time operations, featuring night themed content such as night-vision goggles and flare guns, as well as an exciting new cooperative game mode called Survival.

In this new mode, players must move from safehouse to safehouse with their friends in an effort to slowly gain supply and survive an endless onslaught. Players use stealth to evade their enemy or directly engage in tense firefights to survive, creating an open-ended, sometimes frightening experience.

“This new content update is our most significant one to date,” recalls Jeremy Blum, Founder and Game Director at New World Interactive. “Night warfare is intense and sometimes scary in Insurgency. The Survival game mode has proven to be a great addition to the game, catering to players interested in a compelling cooperative experience that focuses on scavenging and evasion rather than progressing linearly through a map.”

A new map has been added to the game - Verticality. The map features both day and night versions and can be played on a wide variety of Insurgency’s game modes.

The new party system is also in its first stage of implementation. Players can now form a lobby and all join a server together. The system will be further expanded upon in the coming months, and will eventually include a competitive matchmaking system where one party can face off against another.

For a full changelist, please see the following link:

'Nightfall' Content Update October 29, 2014 - Game Updates - NWI Forums

fap-o.gif

Is there a reason there are pretty much no threads about this game? I just barely heard about it today and picked it up on the steam sale for $7.50, and it has already proven to be a very fun, tight, tactical FPS. It's everything I've wanted in a modern FPS, but never got. It instantly gave me BF2 vibes mixed with CS mixed with Red Orchestra. It's an excellent game, and can be exhilarating if you have some good teamwork/coordination going.

I definitely recommend picking it up, especially right now.

For the price, this game is hard to beat. I haven't had this much fun in awhile. Once this game goes competitive. You know where to find me.

For the price, this game is hard to beat. I haven't had this much fun in awhile. Once this game goes competitive. You know where to find me.

it is where the spirit of the old CS is alive and well

It is so nice and refreshing to play a game that was designed to be more hardcore and intense from the start, rather than having a "hardcore" option added as an afterthought. I highly recommend this game.

I still can't get into it. Maps are tiny, "floaty" feel to movement and other things. It is decent, but it is no RO. I even prefer RO2, which is largely fixed now. Although IMO that is a step back from the first game.

I still can't get into it. Maps are tiny, "floaty" feel to movement and other things. It is decent, but it is no RO. I even prefer RO2, which is largely fixed now. Although IMO that is a step back from the first game.

I don't mind the maps to be honest. They all seem to be well-designed, and provide for more focused action. If I want big maps, I'll just go play Battlefield. But, I'm sick of Battlefield, and this provides a nice reprieve from that.

As for "floaty" movement, I personally don't feel that it's floaty to the point of annoying. My only gripe with movement and collision detection is how easy it is to get stuck on doorways. They really should fix that. Otherwise, it's just a minor annoyance, and I've only died a few times form it.

This game makes the old battlefields movements feel smooth, it's so damn clunky! Still pretty fun, although a lot of times it's just one team rofl stomping the other.

Yeah, the teams can get pretty unbalanced pretty often. However, the times that you have a good mix of players, the games are intense and very enjoyable. For $7.50, I've definitely enjoyed my time with it.

I think it's Panj and the assault one (where one team tries to defend and the other capture points) is hilariously on sided though. The first hill is so easy to defend, as are almost all the other points (C being quite funny since there are so many spots to camp in)

New update brings new PvP and CO-OP maps to Insurgency. Fixes galore!
http://steamcommunity.com/games/insurgency/announcements/detail/222140631750289687

Update March 25th, 2015 Changelist
March 25 - Mikee
Content

New PVP maps:
Tell (Push, Ambush, Strike, Occupy)
Station and Station Night (Push, Firefight, Ambush, Strike, Occupy)
New Coop maps:
Tell (Checkpoint)
Station (Hunt)
New Insurgent Gurkha knife
Updated Coop maps:
Peak (Hunt)
Heights (Hunt)
Market (Hunt, Checkpoint)
Revolt (Hunt)

Features

Added support for Soft Particles (option to enable or disable in Video Settings). This effect improves the volumetric look of various kinds of particles including dust and smoke using a technique called depth feathering.
Matchmaking preferences are now saved from your last session.

Stability Fixes

Fixed some thread safety issues with the main menu HTML that was causing some rare startup crashes.
Fixed an animation-related Linux dedicated server crash.
Fixed a Linux dedicated server crash related to AI nav area checks in Coop.
Re-enabled render batching to improve stability on Revolt.

Improvements

Scope parallax effect has been adjusted so its quicker and never obstructs the center of crosshairs.
New sprint and crawl animations for pistols and grenades.
New knife animations.
In Push and Strike, each team will have access to different classes depending on if they are attacking or defending.
In Strike, both teams will know where the cache is located at the start of the round.
In Hunt, enemies are now more responsive to a cache being blown up, and hunt players at the end more consistently.
The matchmaking process will now ignore servers you have on your server browser blacklist.
Improved overview art for District, Market, Ministry, Revolt, Siege, and Uprising
Separate crosshair texture for Mosin 7x.

Bug Fixes

Fixed being able to skip the bolt sequence on a sniper rifle by hitting reload and quickly switching weapons.
Fixed 7x Scope not being visible on the SKS world model.
Fixed M40 crosshair rendering in front of lens.
Fixed restricted area at SEC spawn on Market skirmish.
Fixed Invisible wall in Sinjar and small displacement seam.
Fixed issue preventing direct impact damage from grenades from working.

I really like the two new maps. They feel very well designed and can be intense, though the rounds do tend to last longer.

Back