Insurer Offers Apple Watch 3 for $25 - If You Exercise

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Life insurance company John Hancock announced today that all new and existing customers can earn an Apple Watch Series 3 for $25. Instead of the full $359 price tag, John Hancock will give you an Apple Watch for an initial $25 fee, then if you meet the monthly exercise goals your monthly installment for the device is waived.

I think this is a great idea, similar to when car insurance companies had the little OBDII tracker to see that you didn't drive terribly. It is also noted on the Vitality webpage that you can get a Fitbit if you wish instead of the Apple Watch Series 3.

Hancock Vitality members have embraced the Apple Watch using it 6 out of 7 days a week, increasing their step count by an average of 2,000 steps per day after enrolling in the program, showing a 20 percent increase in weekly physical activities after getting their Apple Watch, about half of them are paying $0 each month (i.e. fully funding their watch) by achieving their monthly activity goals

Strap it to your dog in a heavy duty case and let him/her run around the back yard.

How soon until we get monitored how much we sleep, eat, drink , etc for a better health insurance premium? They already have this for auto insurance (monitors speed, fast braking, time of day, and location you drive.)

Strap it to your dog in a heavy duty case and let him/her run around the back yard.

What's the point of getting this then? Your dog is going to have fun and answer calls with it? lol

How soon until we get monitored how much we sleep, eat, drink , etc for a better health insurance premium? They already have this for auto insurance (monitors speed, fast braking, time of day, and location you drive.)

They already do to some extent. My insurance for instance has a whole damn survey for food and other stuff and give discount from a yearly premium. Doing biometrics provides a second discount. Discount is pretty damn good so there certainly is lots of motivation. Not sure I'd bother for a watch but for overall premium discount, hell yeah!

Most health plans will pay you $300/year in cash simply claiming to exercise a few days per week.

Still, I'd take the watch and put it on my dog while I watch TV all night

Let's hope it isn't like the OBDII sensor thing. You have to drive like an 80 year old grandmother to actually save money, and in the fine print, they reserve the rights to raise your rates depending on how you drive. Plus, they weren't exactly designed for driving a manual transmission. It kept telling me it didn't like how I accelerated :rolleyes:.

While there are some good ideas to give a good "fuck you" to this kind of shit, I fear this is a trend that too many are just going to accept and it will continue to become the norm and EVERYONE will have no choice.

I personally am tired of the fucking people who just gobble this corporate shit up and become good little corporate drones, the problem is, YOU'RE dragging the rest of us reasonable, responsible and self controlled people down this rabbit hole with you, to that I say FUCK YOU!

Let's hope it isn't like the OBDII sensor thing. You have to drive like an 80 year old grandmother to actually save money, and in the fine print, they reserve the rights to raise your rates depending on how you drive. Plus, they weren't exactly designed for driving a manual transmission. It kept telling me it didn't like how I accelerated :rolleyes:.

Of course it will be exactly like that, fucking people think corporations/governments are their friends and they are going to make life better for you, constantly falling for the "it's for your safety" or "it's in your best interest" line. Once you're locked in (actually once we're all locked in because of the tools that sign up for this crap), it will become the ultimate corporate nanny state and people like me who take care of their own business are going to have to pay out the ass to keep the same freedom we had just a decade ago (spoken from 10 years in the future).

I'd take the fitbit instead.

It's way more limited overall, but no other company is as accurate when it comes to tracking.

Back