InstallShield Wizard problems

BigGreenMat

Limp Gawd
Basically it appears my Installshield wizard is completely screwed as nearly everything I try to install it corrupts or states is corrupted. Is there anything I can do short of trying to reinstall windows?

Edit: I'm not sure if the windows installer and installshield are related.
If you want to try and re-install the windows Installer from your Windows XP (ill assume windows XP, as you did not list an OS), then try this:

Boot to Safe Mode and log on with the Administrator account.
Delete the following 3 files from the <system root>\system32 directory:

msi.dll
msiexec.exe
msihnd.dll

Delete the following 3 files from the <system root>\system32\dllcache directory:

msi.dll
msiexec.exe
msihnd.dll

(Note: Additonal files may be found in the <system root>\ServicePackFiles\i386
directory.)

2) Place the Windows XP CD in the CD-ROM, drive "D:"

3) Go to START, RUN, and type "cmd" (Without the quotation marks)
Then Expand the files from the Windows XP CD. For example from cd-rom drive "D:"

c:\windows\system32>

Expand D:\i386\msi.dl_ msi.dll
Expand D:\i386\msiexec.ex_ msiexec.exe
Expand D:\i386\msihnd.dl_ msihnd.dll

c:\windows\system32\dllcache>

Expand D:\i386\msi.dl_ msi.dll
Expand D:\i386\msiexec.ex_ msiexec.exe
Expand D:\i386\msihnd.dl_ msihnd.dll

4) Go to START, RUN, and type:
"Regsvr32 msihnd.dll" (Without the quotation marks)

5) Go to START, RUN, and type:
"Regsvr32 msi.dll" (Without the quotation marks)

6) Reboot the system normally.

I'll assume its very similar with windows 2000, perhaps with diffrent locations of the files on the CD.

~Hope this helps.

You also might want to read this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;247925 or more specifically, just read the microsoft knowledge base (KB).

Did you recently do anything to the computer? such as upgrade to windows XP SP2... or what not....

If you are using windows XP, and you have System Restore enabled with a restore point that is before this problem started happening, you might want to give that a try as well. (if you don't mind loosing any programs/data that were installed after the restore point).

~Hope this helps, and keep us posted.

Back