Installing XP Home retail with volume license key?

miro

Limp Gawd
I just reinstalled XP Home on a Compaq system after a couple upgrades. I only had a retail disk handy and it won't take the key that came with the system (I'm assuming it's a volume license). When I go to activate Windows, it says the key is invalid. Is there any way to get around this and force it to take the Compaq key?

Worst case I suppose I can order the recovery disks from HP, but I'd rather not have to wait.

Edit after reading sticky: I'm not asking for anything illegal. I have a good key, just not the disk. I'm just trying to find a way to make it work with a retail disk. Mods, if this is in a grey area or otherwise not allowed, PM me and delete the thread.

The key on the case is an OEM key, and won't work with a retail disc. You're options are either to find someone that will let you borrow their OEM disc, or order one from HP.

The key on the case is an OEM key, and won't work with a retail disc. You're options are either to find someone that will let you borrow their OEM disc, or order one from HP.

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well, I guess I'll start looking for a disk to borrow.

you could download a oem copy as well.

not sure why it wont work for ya though, i have used an old ass xp install disk (pre sp1) with an oem key on my 700m laptop.

Back