Installing Windows 7 on Macbook air

Ok so I have a macbook air and no external cd drive and I want to install Windows 7 on it via bootcamp. First I set up my partitions using the bootcamp utility. After that I tried loading the windows 7 disc using the remote disk utility from my windows desktop, but no dice, the bootcamp utility wouldn't recognize it even though I could mount it just fine with finder. So then i tried holding down option key and booting from the remote disc, it couldn't even find the remote disk this way (neither over ethernet nor wireless). So then I tried making a bootable Windows 7 USB flash drive using these instructions http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/ . The only difference is I formatted it in Fat32. Anyway I installed rEFIt so i could boot from the USB drive but when I select it in the rEFIt boot menu it throws this message Error: Not found returned from from legacy loader

Also I noticed the usb drive still shows up as a removable disk in windows, how do i make a usb flash a fixed drive? would that help?

well I would rather not have to buy one to be honest. I dont ever see myself using it after Im done installing everything. I have a dvd-rw in my thinkpad thats never been used the 2 years ive had it, and two of them in my desktop and they have only been used a couple times. Discs are old hat

You could pick up a IDE/SATA to usb adapter and connect it to your PC DVD ROM/RW.

Actually I would hold off on Windows 7 on Mac. Bootcamp is really buggy with Windows 7.

Really buggy? I have had 0 issue with mine and my wife's macbook running windows 7 since the supported drivers came out... What bugs are you addressing?

Really buggy? I have had 0 issue with mine and my wife's macbook running windows 7 since the supported drivers came out... What bugs are you addressing?

Hell, my iMac has been running 7 full time since the public beta.... Not a single problem.

All I did to install Win7 from USB is to copy the dvd contents to the flash drive and boot from it... which you can do with your Air and would probably be the easiest/best option.

Copy the DVD contents to a flash drive, hold option upon restart and choose it as the boot drive, then point it to install to the bootcamp partition you made, and copy the windows-side contents of the snow leopard dvd or just download the update online.

Also I have no real with my Win 7 Ult x64 install on my MBP, so I'm not sure what bugs the poster above is talking about, only thing that is any sort of issue is the lack of ability to turn off the backlit keyboard.

All I did to install Win7 from USB is to copy the dvd contents to the flash drive and boot from it... which you can do with your Air and would probably be the easiest/best option.

Copy the DVD contents to a flash drive, hold option upon restart and choose it as the boot drive, then point it to install to the bootcamp partition you made, and copy the windows-side contents of the snow leopard dvd or just download the update online.

this seems highly unlikely :confused:

Back