Installing Windows 10 on C drive (looking for advice)

ParkyRFC

n00b
I have limited knowledge and looking for some advice. I'm currently still running Windows 7 on my C drive and looking to format it and install Windows 10. How straight forward is this to do? How would I go about doing it? Obviously I will back up anything I need on current Cdrive. Also have another two internal drives these I hope won't be affected ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

I have limited knowledge and looking for some advice. I'm currently still running Windows 7 on my C drive and looking to format it and install Windows 10. How straight forward is this to do? How would I go about doing it? Obviously I will back up anything I need on current Cdrive. Also have another two internal drives these I hope won't be affected ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers.
back up your data to the other drive(s) then disconnect them. load the windows installer and when you get to the partition window delete your existing partition(s) then click next and let windows set it up.

back up your data to the other drive(s) then disconnect them. load the windows installer and when you get to the partition window delete your existing partition(s) then click next and let windows set it up.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Would this work if I downloaded Windows 10 or would I need the disc version?

Hi, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Would this work if I downloaded Windows 10 or would I need the disc version?
no prob. d/l and use the media creation tool to make a usb. disc versions are out of date. also, another tip to speed up install is to not connect your ethernet/wifi so it skips checking for windows updates, it takes forever and usually doesnt find anything to update.

Be sure your system is running in AHCI mode, or newer versions of Windows 10 will refuse to install. You'll need to access to BIOS to make sure.

If you are currently in Legacy ATA mode, wait to switch until you are ready to install Windows 10 (or it will fail to boot your Windows 7 install)

Other than that, I found no issues re-installing Windows 10 on my older systems.

Last edited:
Go HERE. Insert a USB and follow the prompts. Keep the USB drive plugged in after its done being setup as a bootable drive and change boot order to USB first in BIOS. Win10 pretty much handles everything else from there. A few prompts to go through, and I concur, do not join network until after you are in desktop. Always best to format the drive during install, especially with SSD.

Yup, USB is best, backup important files. Double check BIOS is ahci mode, boot USB with network disconnected. Delete all partitions then continue and it'll create the necessary ones. Pretty straightforward for the most part. As long as you select the correct drive during the install (or better yet, temporarily unplug the.ones you aren't installing to so no chance you can mess it up) they won't be affected.

Don't do a clean install of Windows 10 off the bat... or else you will most likely have to buy a license for Windows 10.

After backing up your files do the free upgrade to 10 via the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.

Then after it is activated you can do a clean install if you want.

Note: I've done the 7 to 10 upgrade on dozens of computers and never had one mess up the existing programs or files. That being said, it is still a good idea to back up any needed files.

Back