Installing Win2k Sans Floppy Drive

svet-am

Supreme [H]ardness
My rig is an Abit KT7A-RAID that I am running without the floppy drive enabled. I'm running hard drives off the HPT370, so obviously my problem is installing Win2k and getting the drivers for the HPT370 during the install.

I have a USB JumpDrive that I figured would work, but I cannot access it during the install, even if it is plugged in at boot time. I figured the install would allow me to specify path for the drivers, but it only looks for the drivers on A:\

Is there any way to map the USB drive to A:\ or some other way that you guys can think of to make this work?

thanks for any help you can provide. I've already hit Google and found nada and I hit the obligatory Paul's KT7 FAQ page as well.

here's another idea. Would it work to extract the neccessary driver files to the i386 directory on the install CD and then burn a new CD?

I figured that I was probably out of luck, but thought I'd ask anyway...

thanks! when I have the time to read it all, I believe it will be the ticket.

Most people will just hook a floppy drive up for 30 seconds and be done with it. a USB floppy drive should work as well.

Floppy drive = 12 bux

Slipstreaming = pain in my rump..

Originally posted by mfm
Prefer to just add the SPs after the install?

Slipstreaming a Service Pack is cake, but drivers are a whole other issue. I was going to attempt it until I read the guide and said "screw it", way to much work. I would do the 30 second floppy deal, or install it on the normal channels and move it back to raid after Windows has installed.

Adding device drivers to the windows driver database is a bitch. There are just too many files and potential syntax errors to make it worth the trouble. Last time I tried integrating some Symbios drivers I went through 14 reburns of a CDRW and still didn't get it to work. There are even some scripts out there that allege they do this, but no go.

Back