Installing Win 7 on a netbook

playafly187

Limp Gawd
Could use some help here. I have an Acer Aspire One 0751h netbook. I am trying to install Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit on it using a Western Digital SiliconEdge 64GB SSD.

I am using a Silverstone external optical drive. Everything goes as planned until I get to "copying Windows files" and the system locks up. Every time. I have tried the following:

Latest BIOS flash
Tried different RAM
Tried a USB flash drive install
Tried an OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
Tried a different installation disc
Memtest and windows memory diagnostic both pass

Also tried installing Vista, which worked just fine, then went to do an upgrade install of 7 which locked up along the way too.

I previously had an OCZ Apex SSD installed with Win 7 RC without issue.

Any ideas?

Try using this:

http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

and then get:

http://imgburn.com

Make an ISO of your Windows 7 installation DVD and then use that DVD tool from Microsoft to transfer the contents and make a USB stick (if you have one, at least 4GB in size). The installation will go much faster, I assure you, and more than likely won't stop as it has been doing. It could, of course, but...

I would say if you have any options in the BIOS on that laptop, reset all of them to factory defaults (I know OEMs lock down options but you should be able to do a full factory reset on the BIOS somehow).

Give that USB stick method a shot and see what happens. Can't hurt, I suppose.

I listed in the original post that I had already tried the USB flash drive method and it failed.

Very confident. The WD drive is a few months old, the OCZ drive is about two weeks old.

I have no tried that yet, but I will shortly. I have seen multiple others online running 7 with the same system, however. I'll reply back in a bit once I test it.

well, i found a workaround!

got to thinking... if i complete just the first part of windows install in another notebook, then when the PC reboots to complete installation, I shut it down and put the SSD in the netbook, maybe that would work... and it did!

Back