Installing Win 11 tips / tricks & software should I get?

SpongeBob

The Contraceptive Under the Sea
Why?!?! I'm installing it because my gf uses it for work (I'm her tech support and last time I was in there I was like uhhhhh is this a mobile OS?). Also I just got a new SSD so might as well try it out. This PC is mainly used for gaming. I'm leaving my current Win 10 install on it's current 250GB drive just in case things go sideways.

So despite all the massive hate it seems like there are quite a few people using it just fine. That being said what tips or tricks should I know about so I don't want to bash my head into my keyboard? Any decent Software to stop the M$ spying, how to move the start button, annnd honestly anything else? Are there any new or actually good features I should take advantage of?

I heard about an RGB control from windows in a preview build or something that sound promising but I don't think it's out yet.

Do I still need to download this patch for Ryzen or is the fix integrated into their just normal updates now? KB 5006476 read something about this and L3 cache or something.

Thanks

1677770438765.png

its w10 with a face lift. install it, turn off the crap ad stuff during setup, install drivers(chipset first), move the start button back to the left, call it a day.
ps: that patch is a year and a half old, its been integrated.

If you mod it too much you're back to w10, and then haven't learnt w11 to help others.

That being said...:

First thing I did was install startallback or some such Taskbar changer, changed the right click menu back from the new crap, and basically had a windows 7 start menu with a 10 Taskbar. The only good feature on w11 that comes to mind is the added window sizing/docking features. Windows pushed harder for the crappy lifeless settings page, but control panel is still there too, and you still have to use both to get certain tasks done.

If you mod it too much you're back to w10, and then haven't learnt w11 to help others.

That being said...:

First thing I did was install startallback or some such Taskbar changer, changed the right click menu back from the new crap, and basically had a windows 7 start menu with a 10 Taskbar. The only good feature on w11 that comes to mind is the added window sizing/docking features. Windows pushed harder for the crappy lifeless settings page, but control panel is still there too, and you still have to use both to get certain tasks done.
100% good point. With stsrtallback can I can just put the start button on the left instead of the middle without the other changes?

Sooooo after fiddling around with windows 11. Found out you can just change the position of the start button to the left. Turned off my news feed from popping up. Honestly I like windows 11 more than 10 so far. I have both on my desktop right now but I really don't know that I have a reason to go back to 10. I think it looks cleaner, you can pretty much do everything you could before, also when you switch from a game to desktop it isn't a shit show it just does it smoothly. Until I see ads popping up on my desktop I have no reason to go back.

I kinda feel like most people who complain about it at this point haven't even tried it. I'm not doing anything shady so what do I care if it's stealing my data I'm not convinced it wasn't on windows 10 either. I'll keep my win 10 license just in case but honestly if you guys have a windows key your not doing anything with give it a try. For gaming I just love how I can flip from game to desktop with ease I'm still blown away by this. Something Win 10 never did well for me even with 2 separate systems.

Seriously though click on the taskbar as the first thing you do and just move the start button over. I like being able to see all the programs I want pop up and not the useless crap I don't being displayed in alphabetical as well.

After running the program.

86-process.jpg

Last edited:
If it is no on by default the very first non brainer thing would be to enable full right click menu option imo:

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-open-full-right-click-menu-by-default-windows-11/

Get-activate winget:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/package-manager/winget/

get a fuzzy terminal search or an other alternative to windows search if you ever have to find stuff.

When a pc is just for gaming too, I imagine in many case it does not matter much windows 10 or 11 or anything, if you do not complicated modding-streaming affair.

Install steam, launch steam, launch game, windows 7, 10 or windows 11 what does it change....

Back