Installing Vista Ult. x64 BSoD 0x7e, pci.sys

Carv

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright I'm having a problem installing Vista Ultimate x64 for the first time on this new build.

Specs:

Intel Q9450
DFI LP LT x48-T2R
mushkin XP ASCENT DDR2-800 (2x2GB)
Sapphire Radeon HD4870
74GB Western Digital Raptor (Boot Drive)
250GB Western Digital Caviar
Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Thermaltake Toughpower 750W

I go through the first part of the setup where it installs everything to the hard drive without a problem. After that process it restarts automatically, and when it trys to go into the next portion of the setup (setting up user) it gives the following stop error:

stoperror.jpg

The physical memory dump occurs quickly and the blue screen is there for only about 2-3 seconds, then it restarts, and will just continue to do so when it encounters the error.

I first got it when trying to install with all 4GB of RAM. (I forgot about the problems when instaling with past 2GB). So I removed the second RAM module, ran a memtest on the RAM that remained, cleared the BIOS, and tried a clean install again from the beginning.

Same stop error.

When I go home today I'm going to remove the soundcard, and second HD (250GB) then try reinstalling again.

One thing that does worry me though, and I don't know if this could be the problem or not, is that in the Newegg description for the motherboard, it says it supports DDR2-800, but on DFI's website it says it supports DDR2-1066. Could that be one of the reasons for the error as well?

I know this is a common error, I've searched since last night for solutions, but all of them are mostly solved by istalling with 2GB of RAM.

Is there any chance that the Vista media, DVD drive, or data cable to the DVD drive are corrupt or bad?

As for the memory question, you are fine. The only consideration is to make sure your RAM's voltage is within spec of the board.

Umm you are using 4gb of ram there and there is a known issue when installing Vista with 4gb. I would go down to 2 and try again. Once Vista is intalled you can install more ram with no problems. I usually just use 1gb when I install Vista.

when i tried to install vista for the first time i kept getting al sorts of weird BSODs then i found out my HD was toast and that was causing a problem, then i found out that Vista 64 (in my case) dosent like to install with more that 2BG of ram. and lastly that it dint like my Xfi to be installed on my board when i tried to install vista. I got a new HD, removed One stick of RAM and Took off my Xfi. When Vista was installed, i put all the things back and it worked.

Looks like you got a PCI card that Vista install doesn't like

Umm you are using 4gb of ram there and there is a known issue when installing Vista with 4gb. I would go down to 2 and try again. Once Vista is intalled you can install more ram with no problems. I usually just use 1gb when I install Vista.
The OP stated that the memory was removed. I also wish this "warning" was given with the correct info, so it doesn't send people into a panic. First, only some motherboards had an issue with this, and they were mainly Nvidia chipset boards. Even then, if the memory was removed, you couldn't put it back in right away...you needed to install hotfixes first, then it could be reinstalled. Secondly, this issue was resolved in SP1, so with most new media already having SP1 incorporated, or with the amount of people slipstreaming SP1 into their older media, this issue is non-existent.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

It's an XP page but the same stuff may apply to Vista. One thing to try is setting the hard drive controller to 'legacy' or 'not AHCI' mode, or providing manufacturer drivers during the initial setup.

I took a look at that KB and alot of the information there has to do with drivers with the OS already installed. What I could apply from there is updating the BIOS, but that's one of my last resorts.

DeaconFrost said:
Is there any chance that the Vista media, DVD drive, or data cable to the DVD drive are corrupt or bad?

As for the memory question, you are fine. The only consideration is to make sure your RAM's voltage is within spec of the board.

The DVD drive is also new, a Samsung 20X drive, it's connected with one of the new SATA cables the mobo came with. My only concern in this area could be the Vista media. It's a burned DVD that I was able to make through my TechNet subscription. But if it passed the first part of the installation, I have some faith in the Vista media. (Not that I'm ruling out it could be causing a problem though)

As for the RAM's voltage I need to take a look at what it's set in the BIOS when I go back home.

Try a redownload/reburn of the dvd, there is actually a faq on the technet site about a lot of install issues related to bad image downloads or burns. You can verify your image checksum prior to burning too.

Try a redownload/reburn of the dvd, there is actually a faq on the technet site about a lot of install issues related to bad image downloads or burns. You can verify your image checksum prior to burning too.

Hmm, I'm going to have to look into that. The image is Vista x64 with SP1 already, I'm wondering if that could also be an issue here. I trust the image, but reburning is another last resort.

Back