Installing Vista/7 on sata drive

yadnom

Limp Gawd
Am I doing something wrong here?

Last night I tried installing Vista and Windows 7 onto a sata drive. These were clean install attempts. When getting to the point where its asks to load the drivers, I point it to the drivers I downloaded for my mobo, but after it installs the driver, it still does not detect the drive. This happened in both Vista and 7. I was trying to install the x64 bit version for both. If I go and reload the driver again, it no longer shows up as compatible hardware.

Drive shows up in BIOS just fine.

I tried with the drivers off of the mobo disk too and same results. I'm a little stumped.

Also tried AHCI vs IDE mode for SATA, no difference.

The drive was working as I just pulled it from another machine earlier that day.

I've installed 7 before on the same drive on an older Intel board and it worked fine after installing drivers.

Any tips? Installing it on an Asus M4A78T-E board.

Edit: Just occured to me that maybe I should have posted this in the Motherboard section.

7 supports AHCI without drivers, and im pretty sure vista does as well. I didnt need anything to install on my AHCI board anyway.

This was on an intel p35 chipset board.

Have you tried it without installing drivers?

Is it on a raid or external port or something?

You don't need to load any drivers at boot. Hell you likely won't need to load any drivers at all if your installing 7.

I ran into an odd issue that may help you - I was building a server w/ the intel ICH10R chip on it, and it kept asking me for drivers, and I thought it was looking for SATA drivers for the HDDs, but it was actually looking for a driver for the SATA DVD drive...........I used a different DVD drive and problem solved.

Not sure if its even related, but worth a shot.

I haven't tried without any drivers, but the hdd is not listed either. I'm using the internal sata ports, no raid setup, just one sata hdd and one sata dvd drive. I'll have to check the sata dvd tip too. Thanks.

I think I found the problem. Wasn't the drivers, it was the drive. The drive was an NTFS formatted secondary drive from a previous Windows 7 32 bit install. After I wiped the disk partitions, I was able to get the Windows 7 install to recognize the drive. Must have been the previous 32 bit formatted partition. I guess I learned something new. First venture into 64 bit OS.

Install hasn't completed yet, but it's zipping along.

Thanks.

Back