Installing software

Notquiteanewbie

Limp Gawd
*Linux Newb

I'm giving linux another shot, I'm on Suse 10 this time.

I understand the process of unpackaging and compiling and all that stuff but how do I do an in place update?

FIrefox v.1.07 came preinstalled, how do i install it? I mean I can get it to run from its own folder but I want to update all the v.1.07 "shortcuts" as well, that can be found under the Application > Internet > Web Browser and next to the Desktop Menu at the top as well.

I have done some extensive searching, I wonder if I'm just thinking too much :confused:

unless you have to build from source due to experimentation or development, or testing features, just use the version from the package maintainers. In otherwords, for suse, just install it through YaST

I have recently installed Fedora Core 4 on my Dell Inspiron 8500, and have a question in regards to installing:

I downloaded the package for Firefox 1.5, how do I go about installing / updating? I got a whole bunch of files that look like shell scripts, as well as some executables, and nothing seems to work.

I typically place software like Firefox into the /opt directory and then make a symlink to it in /usr/local/bin

So you have the directory firefox, so what I'd do is this:

(either use sudo or become root to do these steps)
Code:
mv firefox /opt
cd /usr/local/bin
ln -s firefox /opt/firefox/firefox

You'll have to double check what the script that runs firefox is (I think it is firefox or firefox.sh).

BillLeeLee said:
I typically place software like Firefox into the /opt directory and then make a symlink to it in /usr/local/bin

So you have the directory firefox, so what I'd do is this:

(either use sudo or become root to do these steps)
Code:
  mv firefox /opt
  cd /usr/local/bin
  ln -s firefox /opt/firefox/firefox

You'll have to double check what the script that runs firefox is (I think it is firefox or firefox.sh).
There is an executable in that folder called "firefox", if thats what you are referring to.

And I assume I can run all that in some sort of command prompt? Should I run that in terminal?

BillLeeLee said:
Yes, execute those commands from a shell/terminal.
Well, I tried what you recommended, and still no avail. I was able to put the software in the /opt directory, then try to do a symlink over to my local/usr/bin directory, but nothing comes up. It appears as though it links the fine, however, after I type the last line of what you suggested, thats it, no acknowledgement whatsoever.

FYI, I'm runnning Fedora Core 4 with GNOME desktop, if that helps any. This is a workstation install.

Am I missing something here?? I went over your steps like 4 or 5 times already.

Oh, I didn't even know Fedora came with Firefox installed by default. That means that you already have a firefox symlink in /usr/bin.

Actually, I think you should just use the Fedora package manager to handle upgrading Firefox to 1.5

Check it out and make life easier:
http://www.fedorafaq.org/#getsoftware

BillLeeLee said:
Oh, I didn't even know Fedora came with Firefox installed by default. That means that you already have a firefox symlink in /usr/bin.

Actually, I think you should just use the Fedora package manager to handle upgrading Firefox to 1.5

Check it out and make life easier:
http://www.fedorafaq.org/#getsoftware
Well, I uninstalled the Firefox 1.0.4 from GNOME, but when I tried to re-install it, it told me I needed the DVD, and tried to reinstall 1.0.

So how do I tell it that it should be installing 1.5?

Back