Installing programs in Vista 64bit

ChrisUK

Limp Gawd
Hi,

If you are running Vista 64 I guess you will know what I am on about here.

You know when you install a program and it asks for a location etc to save to, ie "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" does Vista 64 always default this to the latter folder, ie "Program Files (x86)"?

It seems to me that it always defaults there unless I specifically change the path myself.

Are my thoughts on this be correct?

Also, if I was to add a 32bit program to the 64bit "Program Files" folder and vice-versa does this have any effect on the performance at all?

Sorry if these are daft questions but I dont want to be installing stacks of programs and find they are going to the wrong folder.

THX

If the installer is built correctly it will install to the correct folder the reason is the x86 is for 32 bit and 16bit... where as the regular program files is for 64bit apps.

Just makes sorting the weat from the chaff easier.

Hi,

Hmm, I think that should be the case but having just rebuilt my pc with some new hardware I wasnt too sure.

If I remember rightly the Sound Blaster XFi Vista 64bit driver was still offered under the "Program Files (x86)" folder.

Also, my Logitech Vista 64bit driver was also offered to be saved to the same place.

Seeing as they are both 64bit drivers / apps I chose to sling them under the 64bit "Program Files" folder instead. Everything seems to be fine so thats good enough for me :)

Cheers

That from looking around is because perhaps the installer was not calling the vista specific environment variable correctly? Who knows but really as long as it works right?

Just for shits and giggles, I've tried changing the installation path from "Program Files (x86) to "Program Files" when the application was a 32-bit application. Depending on the install, this may or may not work (the Windows installer seems to install to "Program Files (x86)" even if you manually tell it to go to "Program Files").

I don't think there is any kind of performance hit either way.

Performance?

So if I have "c:\program files\SLOW PROGRAMS\" it will make those run slow?

Honestly, the reason they have two directories is so you, the user, knows which is which. There is a 32-bit Media Player 11, it is in "c:\program files (x86)\Windows Media Player". There is a 64-bit Media Player 11, it is in "c:\program files\Windows Media Player". It's like that so you, the user, knows which is which. That's all. It's simply for organization.

If you want to rage against the conformists and throw 64-bit things in "c:\program files (x86)\" or "C:\program files\NO CONFORMITY\" you are welcome to do so.

Back