Installing NT4 onto SATA RAID, not accepting driver

vehement

n00b
I recently purchased a Dell poweredge to replace my current file server. After finding out there is no NT support for the onboard SATA RAID controller I purchased a NT compatible PCI controller. A Highpoint Rocket RAID 1520. I had no trouble getting the card physically installed and using it to setup my RAID 1. But when I try to install windows NT 4 I run into problems. When setup first starts I press F6 to install new controller drivers. NT reads the provided driver disk and lets me select between NT, 2000, and XP drivers. When I choose NT the installation goes to the previous screen with a list of drivers that will be installed. I can see the Rocket RAID at the bottom of this list. So I continue installing... soon I am confronted with a screen that says the only mass storage device that was detected is my DVD drive. I press S to specify an additional device. I am presented with the same driver selection menu I saw earlier. When I pick the NT driver the installer jumps quickly to a screen reporting the device im trying to load is not installed on my computer. I have tried new drivers and modifying the txtsetup but nothing seems to work. I have also tried a single disk non-RAID setup. Any idea what’s going on?

I should also mention this is the second PCI controller I’m attempting to install. The first one was a link depot sata RAID controller. When I tried to load the driver for that card the windows installer would crash.

FYI, NT is dead. Support expired at the end of '04, just curious why are you making a new install?

If MS isn't supporting it, why would vendors? MS support dates.

Sorry I can't give you much help, but I can tell you why your going to have a hard time finding it...

I realize MS has stopped supporting NT and I wish I could move to 04 right now but I’m on a tight budget. Luckily High Point has responded to my initial support request but I have yet to receive useful info. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Sata isnt supported on NT4 I believe, are there NT4 drivers for that exact card from the manufacturer?

Maybe you need to configure the RAID on the card's BIOS before NT recognizes it as a disk?

dbwillis said:
Sata isnt supported on NT4 I believe, are there NT4 drivers for that exact card from the manufacturer?

Yes. Most cards I looked at support it. I was specifically looking for one that had been reviewed by someone running NT. There is such a review for my card on NewEgg.com. The manual for my card has specific instructions for doing a new install with NT 4. I checked this out before I purchased the server with no OS (in case I had issues with the onboard). With so many new cards listing NT in there specs I figured it wouldn’t be a big deal. Now it looks like 2000 or 04 may be my only options.

vehement said:
Yes. Most cards I looked at support it. I was specifically looking for one that had been reviewed by someone running NT. There is such a review for my card on NewEgg.com. The manual for my card has specific instructions for doing a new install with NT 4. I checked this out before I purchased the server with no OS (in case I had issues with the onboard). With so many new cards listing NT in there specs I figured it wouldn’t be a big deal. Now it looks like 2000 or 04 may be my only options.

Why not just use Windows 2000 if you have it? Windows NT is so old by now. But at last Windows NT 4 is better than the POS Windows 95/98/ME are and were.

Super Mario said:
Why not just use Windows 2000 if you have it? Windows NT is so old by now. But at last Windows NT 4 is better than the POS Windows 95/98/ME are and were.

Bullshiat

95 had it's good points, and was the next logical step towards UPnP. Not my fave though.

NT4 - My fave of the old OSes. Both Workstation and Server I can lock down tight as hell. really frickin stable too.

98SE was the best of the 9x OSes, as long as you ran hardware that agreed with each other. My 2nd fave of the early OSes. You couldn't really do DX with NT so 98SE was the only way to go for gaming.

WinMe? Fock that POS Operating system. I tried for a little while and BSOD'ed constantly with it. I think I trashed it after 2 days and ghosted back to my 98SE. I don't think anyone out there is kidding themselves anymore saying they liked it.

</offtopic>

To the OP: Most of the time with OEM systems there is a setting in the BIOS for running different operating systems. It changes the way the Hardware appears for compatibility with the various OS variants.
The HP servers here @ work have a setting in the BIOS for a.) NT4/W2K Server b.) Windows Server 2003 c.) Linux

See if that's configurable. Hope that helps

Back