Installing FF2 on Ubuntu

BioHazard.89

Limp Gawd
I've kept with "stock" ubuntu software since i installed it and never have used ubuntu past what came on with it and never played around with installing anything but I want to install FireFox 2

How on earth do I do this? I already downloaded the tar.gz from Mozilla.com and have done a quick google search but found nothing.....

any help would be graciously appreciated... Dispite about 2 months of using Ubuntu Breezy Badger, I'm still a Ubu-noob.

Just untar-ungzip the folder and then move it to somewhere like /opt, then set your path. Also, remove older firefox first (apt-get uninstall mozilla-firefox (?))

Code:
tar xvzf firefox-2.0.tar.gz
Code:
sudo mv firefox /opt

Set your path so that it includes /opt/firefox

Then execute firefox.

And keep the known issues in mind: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/

Automatix2

Get that for Ubuntu and you will start to love your life even more.

I've untar-ungzipped it and its actually in two locations now... due to me not understanding "mv" was a move command..... It's in /opt/firefox, as well as /firefox

I'm afraid i don't know how to set the path in terminal, and i cant get it to execute

I'm kinda stuck without a browser now too.... I'm typing this from my DAW downstairs

'Preciate the help thusfar

In a terminal, run command, shortcut or whatever,
Code:
/opt/firefox/firefox

BioHazard.89 said:
I've untar-ungzipped it and its actually in two locations now... due to me not understanding "mv" was a move command..... It's in /opt/firefox, as well as /firefox

I'm afraid i don't know how to set the path in terminal, and i cant get it to execute

I'm kinda stuck without a browser now too.... I'm typing this from my DAW downstairs

'Preciate the help thusfar

I'll assume you use BASH, since that's the default shell in Ubuntu. Use your favorite text editor and edit the file at: ~/.bashrc

Put in a line like so:

Code:
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/firefox

Start a new BASH shell, type in "firefox" and see what happens.

Also, I'm pretty sure Firefox 2.0 is in breezy-backports now, or you could always be daring, switch all your apt repositories to edgy, and do a dist-upgrade.

Back