installing Fedora (linux)

option141

Gawd
ok, basically, i have this comp. i got for free....and it doesn't really want to boot from a disk...but it likes floppies.

I tried to make a fedora (linux) boot disk. Didn't work. Can anybody tell me how to do it (i know it takes some special program...). Thanks

I assume you have a floppy disk image file(*.img or something). If that's the case then you need rawrite to create a boot floppy. Also, there's a whole operating systems forum here(which this will probably get moved to).

well, i was going to ask about the computer. I was told it had some sort of BIOS problems...and that may contribute to it. But thanks. Sorry mods

So what is the problem? I'm just a bit confused at this point. What kind of computer is it and what exactly is happening?

ah - i got it, my good canadian friend is helping me. Linux god he is. Thanks for that rawwrite - that was helpful too.

Ok, this is definately something to do with hardware...maybe BIOS.

I say "install fedora". Does some stuff, then

<0>Kernel panic : Attempted to kill init!

:confused:

bump before finals.

some more info on the computer itself:

Pentium III 500 MHz with 384MB of RAM.

I was told by my uncle (who gave it to me) that he and his co-workers couldn't install a OS on it because of BIOS problems...? It was a quick phonecall, so he said something to the sort of: everything was so old that they needed some sort of drivers.

0_o help...

ok, go into cmos and just hit the "reset to default" option. That should get the bios to the point where you can get an os on there.

This is definatly bios not set up and not seeing the HDD, or the HDD is toast...

Drivers? It could probably use a re-flash of the rom (bios) but that wouldnt caust the maching to not install an OS

Also make sure the cd rom and the floppy are in the boot order before the HDD. Oh yeah and the HDD you want in the boot order (if there is more than one hdd) is HDD 0. Computers start counting at 0 (deal ;) )

Hope that helps

Back