Installing Alpha PAL8942. Yea how many screws.

CentronMe

2[H]4U
I ordered one of the old but good PAL8942 heatsinks from SVC a week ago, I figured for $15 it was a descent buy. Thursday night I picked up an Abit IS7 for my Deleron 330 (2.66GHz). It is overclocked to a 166MHz bus speed for a CPU clock of 3.32GHz, using the default voltage.

The thing is, I don't know how much pressure should be applied to the CPU. How tight should the screws be tightened down? The stock Intel cooler put an incredible amount of pressure on the CPU, in fact enough to flex the board a few degrees. So when should I stop tightening it down?

The springs are calibrated to apply the correct pressure when the screws are fully screwed down. I turn the screw carefully until it will not go any more, then back off about a quarter turn. Be sure to do just 4 or 5 turns at a time, on opposite screws. That way the sink goes down evenly and spreads the paste properly.

And the fan needs to suck, not blow.

you should mount the standoffs to the board, install the board in the case, then install the heatsink this should help with the bending of the board

blindviper said:
you should mount the standoffs to the board, install the board in the case, then install the heatsink this should help with the bending of the board

If it was in a case yet, I would agree, but I have not put it into a case yet. :p

I finnished tightening them down as said above, did not seem to make a difference in the temps. O well I need to find a 80mm to 92mm adapter and put a 92mm stealth on it.

Back