Installing 64bit from 32bit ( vista )

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by zombix, Feb 7, 2007.

1. zombix

zombix [H]ard|Gawd

I just got my 64 bit upgrade in the mail. Its the 20 dollar up grade version not the ultra version thats next step up fromt he premium vista.

Im gonna do a copmlete format and install of vista on my system and was wondering how i would install the 64 bit software?

Do i freshly install 32 bit then as soon as windows loads up I should install vista 64 bit?

Or should i install all my drivers for my devcise's then install 64 bit?

If this is a stupid question then im sorry i just wanna know.

2. Dark_Eternal

Dark_Eternal Limp Gawd

Is your version an upgrade version or full retail/OEM?

If it's an upgrade version you have to install over the current install, you can install the 64bit over the 32 bit that is currently installed. If your version is a full version then you would be fine to format and can jump right into the 64. After the OS installs then go and download all your 64 bit drivers. This is what I did and I've had no problems.

3. zombix

zombix [H]ard|Gawd

yes i have the full 32 bit home premium version. So i guess im safe for reformating and installing vista then installing 64 bit.

Thanks alot guy you really cleared it up for me.

4. Catweazle

Catweazle 2[H]4U

You need to choose the 'Custom' installation option. A 64-bit version will not work with a prexisting 32-bit installation as an 'Upgrade' install.

No need to do a format. When you use the 'Custom' option and choose the same partition as an existing Windows installation a fresh install will be put on the drive partition, and all traces of the previous installation will be bundled into a windows.old folder which you can delete later.

That's the deal with the 32-bit install, and it should be exactly the same for the 64-bit install.

Edit: The same procedure can be used with a Full retail rather than a retail upgrade disk.

5. Dark_Eternal

Dark_Eternal Limp Gawd

He won't need to do a custom install. There is no point in him doing an upgrade install considering he just put Vista on his PC. The only reason to do this is if he had files on the drive he needed, which is unlikely considering he installed Vista within the last week.

6. zombix

zombix [H]ard|Gawd

yeah i just tried to install it over my 32 bit version and its telling me i cant because it wont install over the OS.

Then its telling me to install it from install media which i have no idea what or where thats at

Edit: is that were i go into my bios and boot from cd/dvd?

7. Catweazle

Catweazle 2[H]4U

The technique I described should allow the installation to proceed. A 64-bit Windows install can't be put in place over the top of a 32-bit windows install, as far as I'm aware.

Anyways, if you have full retail media (oe a full retail key code) you should be able to wipe and install.

8. zombix

zombix [H]ard|Gawd

so when i ordered the 64 bit version of vista they shipped me a full version of premium but as a 64 bit version instead of the 32 bit version i bought at retail?

So i can install vista using JUST the 64 bit disk that came in the mail for me?

9. Dark_Eternal

Dark_Eternal Limp Gawd

Yes, change it to boot to CD/DVD first. Then wipe the drive and reinstall when it gives you the option to do so.

10. Dark_Eternal

Dark_Eternal Limp Gawd

Yes, just use the 64 bit disc but of course use your product key that came with your 32 bit. I have 64 bit installed yet own the 32 bit retail upgrade disc.

11. zombix

zombix [H]ard|Gawd

ok great thanks for all your help i guess i was unclear if i had the 64 bit full version mailed to me.

Again thanks alot

12. Catweazle

Catweazle 2[H]4U

Not sure, primarily because your comments are confusing. Is this the scenario:

You first purchased a full retail 32-bit Vista Home Premium and installed it.
    You then followed instructions to order the 64-bit installation, paying only the shipping charge.
    You now want to install the 64-bit version.

If that is so, then all you need to do is install the 64-bit version, as a clean install, using your installation key code. The key code applies to either installation type, but you can only have one of them installed at a time.

Edit: Bloody mail delivery delays!