installign Vista 64bit with 4gig memory

tsonka

Limp Gawd
Im still waiting on my 64bit Vista disc to get here, be a week monday. I know there is a hotfix on MS website for Vista 64 and 4gig memory.

I looked and this hotfix is about 6mo old so should my 64bit disc already have it in place?

What Im getting at is I have this nice shiny new G.Skill memory sitting here that Im itching to throw in my machine

The common sence part of me is telling me to wait untill I have Vista 64 installed and patched before I go messing with my memory, but the other part of me cant stand having this new hardware sittign here.

i have no idea what youre talking about, i put everything into my machine then installed vista 64 without any trouble or patches?

I have read that some people get blue screen when booting / installing Vista 64 if they already have 4 gig installed. The fix was to install Vista with less then 4gig then downlaoded a hotfix from MS to support 4gig memory

64bit operating systems have been able to support 4+g since... well, forever I think. I haven't heard of any issues installing Vista 64 with 4g either..... maybe a link to this hotfix would help clear things up a bit...

I've heard of the issue, but I think it was only with the betas. (Pre-RTM) If you're that worried run one stick during the install and update, then shut down, unplug, stick the other stick in and go. It's /not/ a big deal, and as you were already aware of the work-around, you really didn't need a thread for it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/en-us

Guess its not a big deal.. yesterday I did a search and read about some people having troubles which drew my attantion to it ... trried to find the post again but searching Vista 64 / 4gig / install and any combination fo that pulls up too many pages

Same as silent-circuit, I was under the impression this was a thing of the past. I'd definitely heard of it, but I thought it was for RC or beta versions.

I wouldn't worry about it.

its old, forget about it...

my only advice is if your going to have an raid anywhere on the system.. to set that up before you try to install.. vista wasnt forgiving about installing with 4 drives just hooked up, dunno why just didnt like it..:p

but i was using a SATA dvd drive as well so maybe that was it :)

Its not an old issue and its still very much a big issue. Lots of people are experience the BSOD when trying to install Vista 64bit with more than 3gb installed.

You won't know if your affected till you try it tho.

It seems to be only some Nvidia boards that have this issue, like mine. Anytime I've tried it on an Intel chipset mobo, the install went fine without removing any memory. It isn't that big of a deal though, as you just pull 2 sticks, install, update, and then replace those two sticks.

i can't install vista with all 4gb of my memory installed, i have to take out 2gb and everything works fine. its something that really shouldn't happen but since i don't install my os everyday its no big deal.

Mac[X-D];1031837898 said:
i can't install vista with all 4gb of my memory installed, i have to take out 2gb and everything works fine. its something that really shouldn't happen but since i don't install my os everyday its no big deal.

I also had issues like that but ONLY with my Socket939 system that uses 4x1gb sticks...my Intel C2D setup with 2x2gb sticks was shocking fast OS install took really like 20-30minutes tops with drivers and everything and I was done good to go Gaming.

The AMD setup took hours to get installed with all the issues that popped up

I also had issues like that but ONLY with my Socket939 system that uses 4x1gb sticks...my Intel C2D setup with 2x2gb sticks was shocking fast OS install took really like 20-30minutes tops with drivers and everything and I was done good to go Gaming.

The AMD setup took hours to get installed with all the issues that popped up

yea i currently have 4 1gb sticks, once i figured out what the hell was going things went pretty fast. but i bet i spent 3-4 hours going in circles

I had this issue as well. The install would just hang and hang. I then tried to install with just one stick and all was good and that was on a Intel X38 Chipset board.

mine system or my buddys would not install with 4gbs in, both p35 chipset mobo's, both running 2x2 ddr2 sticks. I am running home premium 64 he is running ultimate 64

I just built an Ultimate 64 system with 4 gigs and it went smooth as butter....and I might add it kicks some major ass :cool:

I believe that the problem only shows up if you have an older chipset that cannot reallocate the DEVICE I/O memory to a spot above the 4GB physical ram........

I installed Vista Ultimate X64 on a Foxconn G33M mainboard with 4x1GB sticks and had no issues but the BIOS is set to allocate the device IO above physical ram.

Back