installed Xeon E 1680 v2 want to OC advice please?

SLP Firehawk

Limp Gawd
After the great help here I swapped my 3930K for an E 1680v2 on my ASUS P9X79 Pro.
I also upgraded my 120mm AIO to a 240mm and added another 200MM fan.
So now I want to OC it to a stabil speed and I've never done that before.
This is a work computer running Adobe Premiere CS6 and 3ds Max so it will process long renders for many hours straight.
Is 4.00 GHz reasonable? Stability and dependability are important.
I am running Win 7 64 Pro and have 64GB of 1600MHz RAM if that makes any difference

Is this good advice?

I forgot to mention that CPU temp says its running at 3.4Ghz now and I haven't changed anything so I'm not sure how that is since it's a 3.0Ghz chip. Maybe it's turbo-ing all the time?

Last edited:
I dont have any X79 experience, but in general if this is a production system, overclock it as far as it can go WITHOUT adding voltage, then drop it back 100mhz (one multiplier). I know the older 2XXX and 3XXX desktop chips can do 4ghz pretty casually without any voltage changes, and I think the V2 is just an ivy bridge chip, so id say shoot for 4.0ghz without voltage changes, run Prime 95 small FFT, do a superPi before and after to verify performance improvements (silent corruption is a thing), IBT 2.0 is a good stress test, OCCT is great for full system stability (PSU, GPU, CPU and RAM). You can monitor voltages/clockspeeds with CPUz, and since youre on windows 7, you have the luxury of using Realtemp or Coretemp for temp monitoring, speedfan is great too, and it can sit in your system tray so you can monitor temps while running other tests.

That's a 130W chip at stock.. It's going to throw insane amounts of heat. Good advice in the above post. Don't add voltage.

When fully utilized with stock settings, all-core turbo should be 3.4GHz if I am reading the spec right. I can't remember if Ivy Bridge needs turbo off to effectively overclock or not.

Around 44x is limit for these, I had one that went higher but I think I toasted it a bit with too much voltage and now it doesn't run that high anymore lol. JS's suggestion is probably a solid one.

22nm Intel chips weren't great clockers, you're guaranteed 3.90 GHz on the 1680V2 because of how Turbo works on Intel's products, but anything over 4.2 will be a stretch. You can go higher for gaming type loads where the CPU gets hammered maybe once a week transcoding but if you are doing renders every night you want to ease off on the voltage or you'll get bitten by electromigration real fast.
1.25V seems reasonable, maybe 1.2V if you want to play it safe - 22nm was ironically less tolerant of voltage than the 14nm++++++ variants the various Skylake clones were built on. You could also consider a 2697V2, which will give you the same multithreaded performance as an overclocked 1680V2 but save you the hassling of overclocking a pretty temperamental generation of CPU.

Back