Installed Windows 11 with TPM Disabled? Expect an Ugly Watermark on the Desktop

erek

[H]F Junkie
Unsupported Hardware watermark 💦

“Windows Setup is designed to prevent the installation of Windows 11 on machines that don't meet its minimum system requirements, most notably, the need for a hardware Trusted Platform Module (TPM). There are ways to circumvent this hardware requirements check during setup. The latest Patch Tuesday update apparently takes a quick check on whether Windows 11 is installed on a machine that actually meets its requirements as laid by Microsoft; and if not, places the watermark message on Windows Desktop. It's important to note here, that unlike the "Activate Windows" watermark, this "System requirements not met" watermark does not impact the functionality of Windows 11, and you probably won't wake up one day to find that your machine won't boot. It seems more like a means to get people to fix their hardware requirements using an eyesore.”

1677208141728.jpeg

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/305154/...abled-expect-an-ugly-watermark-on-the-desktop

There is no watermark, and there has never been a watermark on any release build of Windows 11. If you have any evidence to the contrary, please post it here. The article is click-bait BS intended to generate ad revenue, nothing more.

Just look at that screenshot, it's not even running 22H2. Looking at the the build version, you can see that it was actually a developer or release-preview version of 21H2 from last year.

Early last year, there were some developer and release-preview builds that started showing up with the watermark. That watermark never made it to any actual release build. Later on, the watermark also disappeared from the newer Developer and release-preview builds.

We already have a detailed thread about this here:
https://hardforum.com/threads/micro...at-dont-meet-the-system-requirements.2018427/

My X58 system in sig has watermark. My Z97 rig does not have it. Both don't meet requirements and have legit copies of windows.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Steps To Rid Your Unsupported Windows 11 PC From Microsoft's Watermark
What if you want to ignore Microsoft's scare tactics and run Windows 11 without the obnoxious watermark? Here's how to get rid of it...

Click on the Start menu and type Registry Editor, then open it
Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Navigate to and expand Control Panel
Click the UnsupportedHardwareNotificationCache folder
In the accompanying window pane, right-click the SV2 entry and select Modify
Change the value to "0" then click OK
Reboot your PC

Last edited:
There is no watermark, and there has never been a watermark on any release build of Windows 11. If you have any evidence to the contrary, please post it here. The article is click-bait BS intended to generate ad revenue, nothing more.

Just look at that screenshot, it's not even running 22H2. Looking at the the build version, you can see that it was actually a developer or release-preview version of 21H2 from last year.

Early last year, there were some developer and release-preview builds that started showing up with the watermark. That watermark never made it to any actual release build. Later on, the watermark also disappeared from the newer Developer and release-preview builds.

We already have a detailed thread about this here:
https://hardforum.com/threads/micro...at-dont-meet-the-system-requirements.2018427/
seems the water mark is real

1677282372323.png

What if you want to ignore Microsoft's scare tactics and run Windows 11 without the obnoxious watermark?
Man, I just use Win10 on systems that don't support 11 officially. The only reason I use 11 on my current PC is because it's got the Alder Lake job scheduler.

Man, I just use Win10 on systems that don't support 11 officially. The only reason I use 11 on my current PC is because it's got the Alder Lake job scheduler.
Personally I'm still running 10 until I upgrade to new hardware whenever who knows.

Personally I'm still running 10 until I upgrade to new hardware whenever who knows.
My other system is Zen 3 and I'm staying on 10 even though it meets all the requirements.

seems the water mark is real

View attachment 551768

It would be really nice to have some actual details, not just some vague claim. With all due respect to the poster who made that claim; I could say that I saw bigfoot, but that doesn't mean it's true. I would really like to know what build of windows this is supposedly showing up on, and as many other details as possible. God forbid, an actual screenshot.

I have over a dozen personal systems that are all running Windows 11 using a bypass, and when you include friends and family that rely on me to administer their systems, it's more like 30+. I also have multiple VMs that run Windows 11 that were installed using the bypass because they used a virtual legacy BIOS instead of UEFI. I have not seen a watermark on ANY of them, despite them all being fully updated. So it's not as if I'm simply trying to be argumentative. I believe that my skepticism is genuinely warranted.

If there is a watermark, then how is it possible that it doesn't show up on any of these systems, spanning literally every generation of CPU from the time that 64-bit x86 CPUs first came into being? IF there are systems out there that are actually showing a watermark, then it would seem that there is an additional variable at play here that is causing that to occur that apparently doesn't apply to ANY of my systems. I'd really love to know what that is.

It would be really nice to have some actual details, not just some vague claim. With all due respect to the poster who made that claim; I could say that I saw bigfoot, but that doesn't mean it's true. I would really like to know what build of windows this is supposedly showing up on, and as many other details as possible. God forbid, an actual screenshot.

I have over a dozen personal systems that are all running Windows 11 using a bypass, and when you include friends and family that rely on me to administer their systems, it's more like 30+. I also have multiple VMs that run Windows 11 that were installed using the bypass because they used a virtual legacy BIOS instead of UEFI. I have not seen a watermark on ANY of them, despite them all being fully updated. So it's not as if I'm simply trying to be argumentative. I believe that my skepticism is genuinely warranted.

If there is a watermark, then how is it possible that it doesn't show up on any of these systems, spanning literally every generation of CPU from the time that 64-bit x86 CPUs first came into being? IF there are systems out there that are actually showing a watermark, then it would seem that there is an additional variable at play here that is causing that to occur that apparently doesn't apply to ANY of my systems. I'd really love to know what that is.
Dm the bud

Dude, you saw bigfoot?? Tell us more!

Steps To Rid Your Unsupported Windows 11 PC From Microsoft's Watermark
What if you want to ignore Microsoft's scare tactics and run Windows 11 without the obnoxious watermark? Here's how to get rid of it...

Click on the Start menu and type Registry Editor, then open it
Expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Navigate to and expand Control Panel
Click the UnsupportedHardwareNotificationCache folder
In the accompanying window pane, right-click the SV2 entry and select Modify
Change the value to "0" then click OK
Reboot your PC

Screenshot of build # and watermark. Not saying you're making it up but a lot of people have... Never any proof.

Attachments

• 16773321805416878827150269264552.jpg
    16773321805416878827150269264552.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 0
Thank you for posting the screenshot. That does in-fact shed quite a lot of light on the situation. You're not actually running the current version of Windows (22H2, version 22621.1265), you are running an older version (21H2, version 22000.1574). So far, the only other person who has reported seeing a watermark, and confirmed their build number, is also running 22000.1574 (over on TechPowerUp). That would definitely explain why I'm not seeing this on any computer that I own or manage, since they have all been updated to 22H2. So it would seem that, for now at least, this issue is completely isolated to 21H2.

Is there any specific reason why you are still on 21H2 and have not updated to 22H2 yet? I strongly suspect that if you updated to 22H2, the watermark would disappear. If for some reason 22H2 has not been offered to you via Windows Update, you still have the option of doing an in-place upgrade using a 22H2 ISO.

Thank you for posting the screenshot. That does in-fact shed quite a lot of light on the situation. You're not actually running the current version of Windows (22H2, version 22621.1265), you are running an older version (21H2, version 22000.1574). So far, the only other person who has reported seeing a watermark, and confirmed their build number, is also running 22000.1574 (over on TechPowerUp). That would definitely explain why I'm not seeing this on any computer that I own or manage, since they have all been updated to 22H2. So it would seem that, for now at least, this issue is completely isolated to 21H2.

Is there any specific reason why you are still on 21H2 and have not updated to 22H2 yet? I strongly suspect that if you updated to 22H2, the watermark would disappear. If for some reason 22H2 has not been offered to you via Windows Update, you still have the option of doing an in-place upgrade using a 22H2 ISO.
I'm not too savvy when it comes to operating systems. I have windows update turned on and been letting it do its thing. That's also why I didn't post a screenshot. Not sure if I was going to post a product key,ip address or something that i shouldn't be posting. I'll see if I can update and report back.

I checked for updates and wasn't able to get 22H2 to install.

Attachments

• 16773393465798577244089984579675.jpg
    16773393465798577244089984579675.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 16773393807117200652182963574660.jpg
    16773393807117200652182963574660.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 0

I wonder if you even read that article before you posted it here? It says right in that article that those who got offered the update wouldn't have actually been able to install it. This thread is obviously for those who installed Windows 11 using one of the many available bypass methods. It also says that MS fixed the issue promptly.

I also notice you giving a free pass to the people who regularly drop off-topic Linux posts in every single windows thread, while implying that those making posts that directly address the topic at hand are somehow doing something wrong. Let me ask, when was the last time you saw someone drop into a Linux thread trolling about switching to Windows?

I better leave well enough alone. Not sure what I might be getting into with a reinstall. With my luck install will fail due to hardware requirements or something.

An in-place upgrade is not a re-install, it's more similar to upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11, except in this case you would be upgrading from Windows 11 to a newer version of Windows 11. Either way, if your system doesn't meet the requirements, you wouldn't be able to install simply using the media creation tool. You would have to use the media creation tool to create an ISO, and then use a requirements-bypass again.

I wonder if you even read that article before you posted it here? It says right in that article that those who got offered the update wouldn't have actually been able to install it. This thread is obviously for those who installed Windows 11 using one of the many available bypass methods. It also says that MS fixed the issue promptly.

I also notice you giving a free pass to the people who regularly drop off-topic Linux posts in every single windows thread, while implying that those making posts that directly address the topic at hand are somehow doing something wrong. Let me ask, when was the last time you saw someone drop into a Linux thread trolling about switching to Windows?
In the last linux thread I was in. It happens happens in most Windows issues or any Linux threads so I tend to ignore them on either side. It honestly would never occur to me to switch OS's due to some watermark with unsupported hardware. That would be on me for bypassing specs.

The watermark was unnecessary. So he bypassed installation without TPM, is that a reason to watermark his desktop? Does his PC perform any different or lose any functionality from Windows 11 without TPM? TPM does jack shit other than Microsoft setting up the future of PC's to be as locked down as Apple. It literally adds no benefits to Windows 11 other than making Microsoft happy. Windows 11 with TPM is still less secure than Linux without TPM. The only reason people are switching to Windows 11 without TPM is because they don't want their expensive PC to be left out of updates and security patches, which ends in 2025 for Windows 10. You can keep using Windows or switch to Linux where TPM isn't a requirement. It's natural to suggest switching to their competitor (not Apple). This is why I switched to 100% Linux a year ago when I heard the bullshit Microsoft was doing with Windows 11.

5f1kur.jpg

The watermark was unnecessary. So he bypassed installation without TPM, is that a reason to watermark his desktop? Does his PC perform any different or lose any functionality from Windows 11 without TPM? TPM does jack shit other than Microsoft setting up the future of PC's to be as locked down as Apple. It literally adds no benefits to Windows 11 other than making Microsoft happy. Windows 11 with TPM is still less secure than Linux without TPM. The only reason people are switching to Windows 11 without TPM is because they don't want their expensive PC to be left out of updates and security patches, which ends in 2025 for Windows 10. You can keep using Windows or switch to Linux where TPM isn't a requirement. It's natural to suggest switching to their competitor (not Apple). This is why I switched to 100% Linux a year ago when I heard the bullshit Microsoft was doing with Windows 11.

WTF are you ranting about, and why are you ranting at me about it? You obviously skipped over the entire contents of this thread. We've established that the watermark he is seeing is because he is running an old version of Windows 11. No one who is running the current version of Windows 11 (22H2) is seeing a watermark, regardless of a bypass having been used or not. I'm all about bypassing the requirements, and I've helped literally hundreds of people do exactly that. Sorry if pointing out that "Hurp Durp switch to Linux" posts are off-topic and not particularly helpful got your panties in a twist
rolleyes.gif

View attachment 552066
I'll put in the same effort you just did with your post...

Linux desktop = lol. These Linux celebration posts are completely off topic.
(insert silly meme)

WTF are you ranting about, and why are you ranting at me about it? You obviously skipped over the entire contents of this thread. We've established that the watermark he is seeing is because he is running an old version of Windows 11. No one who is running the current version of Windows 11 (22H2) is seeing a watermark, regardless of a bypass having been used or not. I'm all about bypassing the requirements, and I've helped literally hundreds of people do exactly that. Sorry if pointing out that "Hurp Durp switch to Linux" posts are off-topic and not particularly helpful got your panties in a twist View attachment 552073
According to TechPowerUp which was posted on Feb 23rd that this was a recent update. Also yes, this does appear on current Windows 11 22H2.

"Users of Windows 11 on "unsupported hardware" report that since the most recent Patch Tuesday (monthly) Cumulative Update, an ugly watermark message began appearing on the Windows Desktop screen for the Windows 11 22H2 Update operating system. The bottom-right corner has a permanently-overlaid message that reads "System requirements not met. Go to Settings to learn more." This is visually similar to the watermark you get when you haven't activated Windows with a valid license."

According to TechPowerUp which was posted on Feb 23rd that this was a recent update. Also yes, this does appear on current Windows 11 22H2.

"Users of Windows 11 on "unsupported hardware" report that since the most recent Patch Tuesday (monthly) Cumulative Update, an ugly watermark message began appearing on the Windows Desktop screen for the Windows 11 22H2 Update operating system. The bottom-right corner has a permanently-overlaid message that reads "System requirements not met. Go to Settings to learn more." This is visually similar to the watermark you get when you haven't activated Windows with a valid license."

That is literally the same article that was linked to in the very first post of this thread. Welcome to the conversation? Again, showing that you have basically not read any of this thread nor have you actually been following this topic at all. Even just looking at the screenshot that TechPowerUp posted clearly shows 21H2. The date on the bottom right also shows that the screenshot is nearly a year old. I've been active in the comments section for that article also, and thus far the only person who is actually showing a watermark confirmed that they are running 21H2 (specifically build 22000.1574), which is identical to the build being run by the only person in this thread who is showing a watermark. If you find even one single person with a watermark who is running 22H2 and can actually produce a screenshot, feel free to link to it.

I realize that your only motivation to post here is to bash Windows and promote Linux, but believe it or not, some of us are actually searching for facts and trying to help people.

This post didn't age well.

I suppose I was "wrong" in the sense that some old versions are now displaying the watermark, but only those who remained on 21H2 long after 22H2 had already been released. If they simply updated to the current version, there would be no watermark. Why would someone go through the trouble of running Windows 11 but not update to the current version? I've confirmed that 22H2 runs even on a single-core 64-bit Pentium 4, so there are no hardware obstacles at play here.

Last edited:
That is literally the same article that was linked to in the very first post of this thread. Welcome to the conversation? Again, showing that you have basically not read any of this thread nor have you actually been following this topic at all. Even just looking at the screenshot that TechPowerUp posted clearly shows 21H2. The date on the bottom right also shows that the screenshot is nearly a year old. I've been active in the comments section for that article also, and thus far the only person who is actually showing a watermark confirmed that they are running 21H2 (specifically build 22000.1574), which is identical to the build being run by the only person in this thread who is showing a watermark. If you find even one single person with a watermark who is running 22H2 and can actually produce a screenshot, feel free to link to it.
Just making sure you didn't forgot how to read. You going by a photo is stupid. It's clearly stated that Microsoft is rolling this out now, and has experimented with it in the past.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-watermark-unsupported-systems

"Since the January 2023 Patch Tuesday update, users running the production version of Windows 11 2H22 on unsupported hardware have reported, via the Windows Feedback Hub and Microsoft's forums, seeing a watermark that says "System requirements not met. Go to Settings to learn more" in the lower right corner of their desktop. "

https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/...-not-met-watermark-is-reportedly-rolling-out/

"As part of the January 2023 update, Microsoft has now started showing the “System requirements not met” watermark on desktops of unsupported PCs running Windows 11 22H2 (production, not Insider preview)."
I realize that your only motivation to post here is to bash Windows and promote Linux, but believe it or not, some of us are actually searching for facts and trying to help people.
Then tell Microsoft to stop giving me ammunition for me to work with.

Just making sure you didn't forgot how to read. You going by a photo is stupid. It's clearly stated that Microsoft is rolling this out now, and has experimented with it in the past.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-watermark-unsupported-systems

"Since the January 2023 Patch Tuesday update, users running the production version of Windows 11 2H22 on unsupported hardware have reported, via the Windows Feedback Hub and Microsoft's forums, seeing a watermark that says "System requirements not met. Go to Settings to learn more" in the lower right corner of their desktop. "

https://www.windowslatest.com/2023/...-not-met-watermark-is-reportedly-rolling-out/

"As part of the January 2023 update, Microsoft has now started showing the “System requirements not met” watermark on desktops of unsupported PCs running Windows 11 22H2 (production, not Insider preview)."

Then tell Microsoft to stop giving me ammunition for me to work with.

What "ammunition"? A single rumor that keeps spreading via click-bait articles? I mean, if this is actually occurring, then this should be happening to tons of people, right? Why has it not shown up on any of the 20+ 22H2 systems that I've checked so far? How come not even one single person has been able to produce a screenshot?

A single rumor that keeps spreading via click-bait articles?
Note the article claims people with 22H2 are seeing this, but doesn't show screenshots. Admittedly, there are links to the Feedback hub, but I can't access it.

Note the article claims people with 22H2 are seeing this, but doesn't show screenshots. Admittedly, there are links to the Feedback hub, but I can't access it.

Yes, all of the articles are either quoting some vague claim made on a feedback hub or simply quoting other articles. This is how rumors spread. It's also being perpetuated by people who obviously want it to be true because they hate windows. Quoting an article that is quoting a rumor isn't proof. Zero of them are providing any evidence whatsoever that this is occurring on 22H2. Two of the articles provided screenshots, both from 21H2, one that is even from an old developer build. If this is happening on 22H2, I'd love to know because it would affect a lot of people that I care about. I'd also like to know why it's not happening to any of the systems that I personally set up.

What "ammunition"? A single rumor that keeps spreading via click-bait articles?
It's a lot of articles.
I mean, if this is actually occurring, then this should be happening to tons of people, right?
Assuming that a lot of people actually upgrade to Windows 11, and have even gone through the trouble to bypass TPM requirements to do so. Including noticing it and then taking the time to report it.
Why has it not shown up on any of the 20+ 22H2 systems that I've checked so far?
Are those systems bypassing TPM? Running the latest update and not Insider preview?
How come not even one single person has been able to produce a screenshot?
Because laziness? The screenshots are of old builds when Microsoft has attempted this in the past. It's reasonable to assume they'll attempt it again. Which makes sense considering how important it is for Microsoft's future in DRM. I wonder how long this TPM nonsense will last before Microsoft caves in and makes TPM optional. Either Windows 11 becomes the next Vista/Windows 8, or TPM will get bypassed so much that it won't make sense to enforce it.

Back