Installed Vista RC2, Hard Drive Being Accessed 99.9999% of the time

Headbust

[H]ard|Gawd
I know this happend with beta 2, I just installed RC2 and for the first 20 minutes after boot my PC was unusable, Hard drive stopped being accessed and everything is running pretty smooth now. Ive rebooted twice and its happend twice since. I do not want this happening every time. What service was it again that needs to be disabled?

In the performace tab in task manager its showing
Physical Memory
Total : 1022
Cached: 553
Free: 133

Kernel
total:69
Paged:47
nonpaged-21

Whats taking up all the memory?

AMD X2 4400
ASROCK DUAL SATA 939
WD 7200 300G SATAII
MSI Nvidia 6600GT
Antec P160
Antec 400 watt smart power
G-Skill 1024 PC3200

Sounds like indexing or the equivalent (if they changed the name in Vista).

this is horrible!, I installed the nvidia drivers, had to reboot and the same thing happend!, 25 minutes until usable almost!!, and its still accessing it like crazy, then stops for a like 30-60 seconds and my system is perfect, then starts accessing again :(

HELP!!

right click on hard drive, uncheck "Index this drive for faster searching". It will take awhile coz it has to basically remove the index tag on every file in the drive. Also, turn off UAC first so it won't ask you for permission to remove indexing on each file.

Headbust said:
Whats taking up all the memory?
Vista caches the graphics used in aero in memory and so it will also page it with normal memory use. Thats putting it pretty simplistically.. do a bit of research and you'll find the information about this. You can also look in computer management snap in, and look in the new performance area (I can't remember its exact name). That will show you more realistic view of how much memory is being used "for real".

Worst experience ever I must, Beta 2 was working better for me than this for some reason. Its got to be somethin with my system or whatnot. But RC2 would constantly access the hard drive even after disabling everything that would cause it to index.
RC2 was retrieved from a T file

So i figured oh well, I will install the RC1 DVD that microsoft sent me, I install disk 32bit, 3 minutes into install it says files are missing off the dvd and cant continure, I try it a few more times the same thing happens, So i say WTF :mad: , I then try the 64bit dvd and the same exact thing happens.

Then to top it off, I go to install XP this morning ive lost my cd-key :mad: :mad: , After calling a few friends one of them finally found me a customer service number for microsoft, of course its the one for buisness users. Luckily the lady was nice enough to help me out, After a few questions gave me a new XP cd key :)

Have you thought about letting it just index? After it's done the initial indexing, it doesn't do that huge grind anymore and you get a smoother experience in general than if you hadn't indexed.

ChronoReverse said:
Have you thought about letting it just index? After it's done the initial indexing, it doesn't do that huge grind anymore and you get a smoother experience in general than if you hadn't indexed.
Yes I let it sit over night figuring that would happen.

Basically what happend after i disabled indexing on all drives and windows search whenever I would open or try to open a program(something as simple as just navigating through explorer) it was put the hd into overdrive and last 2-10 minutes at a time.

Simple things like just hitting the start button would put it into overdrive and unusable mode.

Oh well, Im done with it i guess until final release, I did really like it even in the beta form and it didnt give me any problems with the beta actually, but im not going to even try to install that and run it for my main OS.

Thanks for the help anyway!

Strange indeed. I have a very similar system to your's except slightly weaker versions of everything. 6150 instead of 6600, 3800+ instead of 4400+ and 250GB instead of 300GB.

A fresh install of RC2 didn't have this problem. Rather odd. Could you see if you can report this problem if you have time to? This would be something MS should be fixing.

I sorta have the same problem. Lots of disk activity but it doesn't kill the machine like the OP said. But its still fairly annoying.

Uusally after the 5 minutes or so comes up with a task bar item "Check Security on your System"... I click the close button. Usually starts up 5 minutes later and grinds away for a 2nd time...

How do you turn off all that Security checking stuff? I went into control panel and disabled the Windows Defender and such.

Who knows it could be the torrent file I download that caused all those problems, I havent heard anyone else having these probs with RC2 to the point where its unusable. I wish the CDs microsoft actually sent me for RC1 actually would install so I could find out.

same thing was happening to me on the Beta release, i think this is why i read somewhere that the recommended storage device for Vista will be some new Hybrid HDD's with 50Mb or more integrated flash type memory, apparrently Vista is going to be hard on the storage system

We've installed RC2 on a couple machines at work and they had the initial "thrashing" of the drives as well. It by no means halted the system or made it unusable, but was kind of annoying.

What we did was disable the indexing on one machine and leave it alone on the other. After the indexed machine finished (took about 3-4 reboots really) it was just as fast as the non-indexed machine, depending on what was being done, it may have been slightly faster as well. We didn't run any benchmarks or anything on them, only some of the standard applications the business uses.

btw, the machines were simply Dell GX520's. Stock P4 3Ghz socket 775, 512mb ddr2, 80gb SATA3gb/s. Since they didn't come with DVD drives, we used an external USB drive to install RC2 (which was, to say the least...painful)

nst6563 said:
We've installed RC2 on a couple machines at work and they had the initial "thrashing" of the drives as well. It by no means halted the system or made it unusable, but was kind of annoying.

What we did was disable the indexing on one machine and leave it alone on the other. After the indexed machine finished (took about 3-4 reboots really) it was just as fast as the non-indexed machine, depending on what was being done, it may have been slightly faster as well. We didn't run any benchmarks or anything on them, only some of the standard applications the business uses.

btw, the machines were simply Dell GX520's. Stock P4 3Ghz socket 775, 512mb ddr2, 80gb SATA3gb/s. Since they didn't come with DVD drives, we used an external USB drive to install RC2 (which was, to say the least...painful)
I did disable anything related to indexing and rebooted the machine probably 15 times. I also let it sit for about 10hrs figuring maybe it would finish anything it was trying to do.

Ive concluded it must have been the torrent file.

If anyone has a copy that is working and could mail it to me that would be appreciated!!

I dunno about your HDD, but the memory usage is normal. Running Vista on a system with 1GB of memory is painful, 2GB makes it usable (I speak from experience). I can't even image how it would run with 512MB. :eek: With my 2GB system, it hovers at 600MB of memory usage when idling. Crazy, huh?

If you think you got a bad DL, you can easily find out by comparing the ISO file hashes.

InorganicMatter said:
I dunno about your HDD, but the memory usage is normal. Running Vista on a system with 1GB of memory is painful, 2GB makes it usable (I speak from experience). I can't even image how it would run with 512MB. :eek: With my 2GB system, it hovers at 600MB of memory usage when idling. Crazy, huh?

If you think you got a bad DL, you can easily find out by comparing the ISO file hashes.

I ran beta 2 on 512megs and it ran fine, Again when I used beta 2 i had no problems at all with it, I dont game at all anymore so I basically just play with some software here and there and web browse, Beta 2 was fine for that but of course im not going to run a beta for my main OS.

RC2 after a few boots used about 650megs of RAM on my system

Eh. I've run it on both 512MB and 1GB. 512MB is painful once you start launching a lot of applications, but 1GB is smooth as butter.

Vista is bloated but only up to about 300MB at most (compared with <128MB for XP). 1GB should be fine unless you've installed a number of memory resident programs. Remember, although it says it's using 600MB, a lot of that is actually just cached memory.

I have build 5744 running on about 10 comps in my computer lab I run at a school for troubled teens that they use for typing out whatever ..listening to music ..making pics in Tux paint or ms paint or the gimp ..and for gaming older titles like Halo , Serious Sam se, NFSU 2 ..etc

they range in 2.8celerons to xp +1900's with vidcards ranging from Radeon 8500/Ti4200 to 9800pro ..all the systems only have 512megs of ddr ..and they all run just as good as they did with xp installed on them... (meaning that the same computers that would lock up occasionally in xp still lock up occasionally in vista and no noticeable performance loss when gaming that I could visually detect)

never really noticed any hdd thrashing ..that caused system to hang anyways

Back