Installed two new 230MM fans and now my OC results in boot loop

Background: I've had an i7 920 OCd to 3.8GHz with an EVGA motherboard for years. I got this thing 4-5 years ago and the OC has been stable and fine since that was done. Never had any issues installing new hardware. I've gone through at least 2 GPU upgrades as well as additional RAM and never had problems. I'm running a 650watt modular Corsair PS.

Issue: I recently picked up some replacement case fans to replace the old ones. After removing the old ones and plugging in the new, I started up my machine, Machine starts to boot but resets and continues in this endless loop. I don't even see the BIOS info screen.

Troubleshooting:
1. Reset the CMOS so it's all default as far as the OC settings go. Machine boots fine but my CPU is now running at a measly 2.6GHz. But it works fine and boots up properly.
2. Re-enabled my OC profile. Same issue as above. Endless loop with no boot up.
3. Reset CMOS again, went into the BIOS and enabled the Dummy OC option which brings the CPU up to ~3.0GHz. This also works fine and my machine boots up as it normally would.
4. Removed new fans and plugged the old ones back in. Enabled my OC Profile in BIOS. Machine doesn't boot and has the issue.
5. Reset CMOS so it's default, removed old fans and plugged in new fans. Machine boots fine with no issues.
6. Enabled Dummy OC again after removing old fans and replacing with new fans. Machine boots up fine with no issues.

Anyone ever experience something like this? It seriously makes zero sense to me why or how this would happen. I originally thought it might be my Power Supply being at it's limit but removing the fans and replacing them with the old one would have ruled that out right? This thing has been fine for 4+ years. Why would replacing the fans with nearly identical ones cause this type of issue? And finally, why would it break the OC completely even when I put the old fans back in?

I've had issues booting with an extreme overclock if I went straight into it instead of slowly increasing the bclk (AMD, though). The board would go into another mode, apparently, then attempt to boot up...soon after failing, returning to the previous mode, and booting into the firmware. When it changed modes it looked like it was booting, but would quickly reset before attempting to boot again. However, if I increased the bclk just enough for it to switch modes, then started increasing it from there to where I wanted it, it'd behave just fine. Maybe it's something like that?

Also, I've noticed that (at least with my Gigabyte board) if the RAM overclock is unstable it'll enter a bootloop and never enter the firmware, but if it's an unstable core multi/bclk setting it'll usually fail once or twice then enter the firmware. Have you tried dropping your RAM clock or loosening timings to see if it boots like that?

Last edited:
I've had issues booting with an extreme overclock if I went straight into it instead of slowly increasing the bclk (AMD, though). The board would go into another mode, apparently, then attempt to boot up...soon after failing, returning to the previous mode, and booting into the firmware. When it changed modes it looked like it was booting, but would quickly reset before attempting to boot again. However, if I increased the bclk just enough for it to switch modes, then started increasing it from there to where I wanted it, it'd behave just fine. Maybe it's something like that?

Also, I've noticed that (at least with my Gigabyte board) if the RAM overclock is unstable it'll enter a bootloop and never enter the firmware, but if it's an unstable core multi/bclk setting it'll usually fail once or twice then enter the firmware. Have you tried dropping your RAM clock or loosening timings to see if it boots like that?

Have not tried adjusting my OC profile. It's just odd that fans would cause that type of issue considering everything was fine prior to them being installed. I'll try to drop the RAM speed to see if that helps.

Thanks!

Back