Installed new windows version, fans run nonstop

Baredor

Gawd
I've got one of those crap Sony Vaios (yeah, I know, planning to build soon). As with many of the store bought PCs, the actual OS they give you is a copy of windows that's embedded into their software disks. IE - I have 3 sony cds, and the old windows home edition is stuck in there somewhere amidst all the sony software.

Last night I wiped, repartitioned, and installed a full version of XP pro. Now, the fan on my cpu and power supply run at full force nonstop, instead of cycling down after booting. Appently, whatever software fan controller that was on my system before isn't there now. I have no idea about this, and am quickly going deaf. Any help appreciated.

Update.. found a driver recovery cd that has a folder in it named "CPUFanControl".

Inside that folder are files sonyfkc.sys , sonyfkcinst.exe , and sonyfkc.inf

Looks like here are my drivers.. which I assume I need to instal through device manager somewhere under system devices... but what?

from the looks of the file names, you should just be able to run sonyfkcinst.exe (sony fan controller install?) and it will install.

Took about 3 attempts to install and reboot, but I think it's running now. /shrug. Thanks. :)

Back