Installed Media center 05. Media center isnt showing up in programs list...

MX-5 Dave

Gawd
I know its media center as if you go to properties of my computer it says media center, and it is from my buddy who has an MSDN sub, I watched him DL it for me from the MSDN site.
Its legit and updates and everything, its not a pirated copy or anything shady. I want to use media center for TV/video/music, but its just NOT THERE:confused: I have re-installed and everything.

SO... Any thoughts?

Is it because the PC doesnt have a TV card?
Is it the 512megs ram? (I will be upgrading, in a month or so)

Here are the specs on the machine just in case that matters (I dont think it does, does it?)

Sempron 3100+ (sock 754)
ECS mobo (crap but only 754 pci x mobo at the time)
2 sticks of 256 megs pc3200
PCI-X X800XL
Dell OEM sbi live (the SB0200 POS, Ill be replacing that as well)
Maxtor 250 IDE
Dell OEM DVD drive (not burner)
Netgear PCI 802.11G card (meh but works)

I've never seen it do that, but it has nothing to do with the hardware configuration. On a side note, this thread will probably be locked, because you are in fact using pirated software. You don't own a TechNet subscription, so you aren't authorized to use it. Your friend is also an idiot for giving out his TechNet software, as he could risk haven't his subscription cancelled.

But, it isnt pirated. Its his account he is authorized to use it on his machines. (yes I am aware of the HIS part of that, read on though) This machine was originally his, and it originally had this OS with the same key on it while it was owned by him. Technically should it still be there? Guess not, but it is far from pirated, and I dont think you have to uninstall the OS if you give a buddy the machine. Now if I started putting in on other machines and selling them, or if he was putting it on machines for other people and such...
Bottom line is he didnt "give out" his software. He gave me the machine and it was already on it. Yes I did re-install it trying to fix this, but I reinstalled the same OS with the same key.

Is it not cool? I guess I see your point, but its NOT pirated.

It wasnt obtained illegally, it wasnt copied, cracked or anything of the sort. It was a legit download on a legit acct, with a legit key, done by a liscenced MSDN acct holder. None of that fits the description of pirated software.

Anyway, all that aside, I dont know wtf is going on with this machine. Any other ideas??

If I was to go over to a torrent site, I could download an MSDN version of quite a bit of software that was originally downloaded from a valid account. How would this not be pirating? How is that different than you did, other than the fact you happen to know the person who downloaded? I have a TechNet subscription as well. If I was to download Vista Ultimate and give it to a friend, he would be using an illegal copy, breaking the licensing agreement. Tell me how that's ok?

Furthurmore, if you had read the rules when you signed up, you would see that discussions about this type of thing are forbidden here.

If I was to go over to a torrent site, I could download an MSDN version of quite a bit of software that was originally downloaded from a valid account. How would this not be pirating? How is that different than you did, other than the fact you happen to know the person who downloaded? I have a TechNet subscription as well. If I was to download Vista Ultimate and give it to a friend, he would be using an illegal copy, breaking the licensing agreement. Tell me how that's ok?

Furthurmore, if you had read the rules when you signed up, you would see that discussions about this type of thing are forbidden here.

There is a HUGE difference between going to a torrent site and DLing it and a real acct holder installing it on a machine. This was what happened. he DLd it himself, installed it on his own machine (this was his machine) which he ended up giving to me a few months later. I re-installed the exact same OS because I thought that maybe that would fix the problem. It was the EXACT same OS, I even did it at his house because he didnt want the discs leaving his place. It was the EXACT os (meaning the original one he downloaded, totally legally) that was on the machine to begin with.

if you cant see the difference between a legit acct holder installing it on his own machine, then giving the machine away a few months later, OR someone who is not a sub holder DLing it from a torrent site, then I cant help you.

If an acct holder isnt allowed to DL it and install it on HIS OWN MACHINE, I would love to hear what you think the acct is for. If you were to DL Vista and install it on your own machine, then decide that you dont need that machine and have a buddy that does, are you going to honestly sit there and say you would wipe the HD?

Regardless, if this is against the rules, the mods will decide it. I did read the rules. This isnt pirated or stolen. Because of this, I dont feel that is breaking the rules. Dont get me wrong, I understand what you are saying, however I disagree with it being the same as pirating. A grey area policy wise yes probably, but not stolen or pirated.

At this point the thread is more likely to be locked because of the massive off topic shift it has taken.
Im not flamin ya here, just saying that its not stolen/pirated

MSDN and Technet downloads are not licenses like normal OEM or Retail that you can give/sell to someone even if they are your friend.

Those licenses are meant for only YOU the SUBSCRIBER to use and if you give a machine that has been running it to another person you are expected to remove the OS totally from the machine.

So, since YOU are not the subscriber, your friend should have removed to OS and given the machine to you without a OS. It is how the TOS go for MSDN and Technet.

Anyhow, I have never heard of Media Center hiding like that even on machines without TV tuners. Have you tried going to add/remove programs --> windows components and making sure the Media Center component is checked and installed?

start>accessories>media center>media center

99.9% sure I went there and its not there.

Ill go double check though. On this machine (which for the record has a copy that I bought a long time ago, when I bought the mobo/proc/vid cards/mem, from neweggg)
its under the main programs list as well.

BRB, gonna go look at the other one.

MSDN and Technet downloads are not licenses like normal OEM or Retail that you can give/sell to someone even if they are your friend.

Those licenses are meant for only YOU the SUBSCRIBER to use and if you give a machine that has been running it to another person you are expected to remove the OS totally from the machine.

So, since YOU are not the subscriber, your friend should have removed to OS and given the machine to you without a OS. It is how the TOS go for MSDN and Technet.

Anyhow, I have never heard of Media Center hiding like that even on machines without TV tuners. Have you tried going to add/remove programs --> windows components and making sure the Media Center component is checked and installed?

I wont argue with any of that, but I still dont feel that this is a pirating/theft situation.
A TOS violation on his part sure, but I didnt steal or pirate anything.

start>accessories>media center>media center

I am, at the moment, hanging my head in shame. Looking at my resume which has a couple years as a PC tech on it, tearing it up, thinking back to the big lan parties I helped set up, the job I had as a JR admin, and being totally embarrassed to be alive right now.

Its there:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

How could I have not looked there? How could I miss that??? I was good at my job. I was hired to that admin job because of my hardware expertise.
This seems to be yet another case of me falling prey to my biggest flaw. I overlook the simple things and go right for big problems. Its in the main list on this machine, so I never bothered checking deeper. Or just a temporary brain dead condition...

IDIOT.:mad:

I still say its not pirated, but Ill tell ya what, I am about to order a few parts from newegg anyway, Ill pick up an OEM copy for that machine while I am at it.

Happy?:cool:

You have your answer above, so do as you wish...it's your computer. I'd suggest doing some of your own reading before coping this kind of attitude. Laws aren't usually meant for interpretation. If I kill a child rapist, it's still murder, whether I personally feel it was warranted or not. And that's exactly the stance you are taking here. If you personally don't feel it's wrong, then it truly isn't. Like I said, do what you want. However, drop the attitude if you do expect to stick around and ask people for help. We've had a recent rash of noobies popping off with attitudes, and that's exactly what you're doing. Most of them have disappear soon after joining. Enjoy your MCE PC, drop the attitude, and enjoy your time here.

You have your answer above, so do as you wish...it's your computer. I'd suggest doing some of your own reading before coping this kind of attitude. Laws aren't usually meant for interpretation. If I kill a child rapist, it's still murder, whether I personally feel it was warranted or not. And that's exactly the stance you are taking here. If you personally don't feel it's wrong, then it truly isn't. Like I said, do what you want. However, drop the attitude if you do expect to stick around and ask people for help. We've had a recent rash of noobies popping off with attitudes, and that's exactly what you're doing. Most of them have disappear soon after joining. Enjoy your MCE PC, drop the attitude, and enjoy your time here.

Dude I so am not having an attitude.:confused:

I am saying that you are blowing it way out of proportion, and really, you are essentially calling me a theif. The only person I see having an attitude here is you.
Yes if you kill someone its murder, but if someone else kills someone then dumps the body at your place, you arent a murderer.
I dont see how defending my stance on the subject means that I have an attitude, yet you pushing your point of view isnt.

BTW, I was a member here before you (not long, but before). I left and dropped the other screen name when Kyle went to the pay system for a bunch of forums that I used.
I picked a new name because I use it elsewhere. (just saying that I am not a newbie and unfamiliar with this place)

Regardless, the original question is answered. And obviously we arent going to agree on the other part, so I guess this thread can just die now. Unless a mod wants to give their 2c on the rules and if they feel this was a piracy situation.

See, that's the thing. You aren't seeing the whole debate. I'm not pushing my point of view. I said in the very beginning that it is against the TOS (fact) and such discussions can be locked around here (fact, again). My point of view, and factual information may not be the same, in this issue, but they certainly aren't interchangeable. You're also trying to twist my points and argu semantics, which is deflecting the real issues.

If I pirate some software, let's say Adobe Photoshop. If I give it to my friend and install it for him, he's not the theif...I am. Never did I call you a theif (a twist by you). That doesn't change the fact that my friend would be using pirated software, whether he knows it or not. Your analogy doesn't fit the picture.

I don't argue points of view or opinions, because there's no right or wrong. Facts are facts though, regardless of viewpoint. You've been trying to twist this into a debate on point of view, and that's not what's going on. My own personal POV, if that it's not a big deal and happens quite often, I'm sure. If you're friend wants to break his TOS, that's his choice. No where did I call you a thief..so stop twisting things around to makes yourself appear the victim. I gave factual info, so that maybe you'd take the needless info out of your OP and avoid having it locked. No one needs to know where you got MCE from. So, why put in that you're using a less than legal copy? Why invite the thread to be locked? Just say you have MCE2005 and get on to the question. After my first post, you flew off the handle after missing the point, and yes, copped an attitude.

Back