Installed 1080Ti & now comp keeps shutting down

Really should be considering 1000+ these days. I run 1350 watts. Gives some leadway seems psu tends be chimped on most systems. Running two 980ti gonna wait a bit till supply and price come down a bit.

You're only chimping if you're buying the absolute cheapest part at a particular advertised wattage- which is where GPU vendors get their numbers from. The 650W-850W range at Seasonic-grade is perfect depending on load (basically number of GPUs).

Never know when you will spontaneously decide to run tri-SLI.

That said I run an AX1200 for a 6700K and a 295x2, I don't mind overkill either.

Yea but why recommend 1000+ watt to someone who doesn't plan on running your setup. I don't understand people recommending 1000+ watts to someone who is running at single 1080 ti. Good 750 will do. Never recommend someone from your own preference. Recommend what they need. If he said he planned on running 2 in sli then yea sure 1000w to be fair. I don't think OP is looking for bragging rights.

Bad/lazy advise IMO. If that's the case no need to recommend anything sub 1kw PSU to everyone and anyone because "you never know"

That's why questions are important. Most people know if they ever plan to SLI, much less TRI SLI, and if they do, it's sound advise. If they don't, you're just throwing money away that could go towards something that is actually useful.

OP, I had a similar issue as yourself when I upgraded from a GTX 760 to a GTX 980.

My PSU was an Enermax EIN720AWT and 5+ years old. I upgraded to a EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 and haven't had an issue since.

Your purchase of a new SeaSonic SS-750KM3 will resolve your issue although I would have recommended a EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 or higher.

OP, I had a similar issue as yourself when I upgraded from a GTX 760 to a GTX 980.

My PSU was an Enermax EIN720AWT and 5+ years old. I upgraded to a EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 and haven't had an issue since.

Your purchase of a new SeaSonic SS-750KM3 will resolve your issue although I would have recommended a EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 or higher.

Evga psu's are good! Cant remember now but i think i put a SuperNova G2 1000watt into my last build with 6700k overclocked to 4.8ghz and evga classified sli overclocked to 2190mhz all water cooled with single custom loop. Its been totally solid!

Also have a supernova 750watt that ive been using for over 4 years thats been solid with a 4790k and gygabyte 980 sli setup.. total problem free as well.

Microcenter also sells some good refurbished power supplies . Got a great corsair 850watt gold rated psu a few weeks ago for like $80 i believe for a older retro build.

lots of good advice in this thread. I too had a pcie slot go bad some time ago -- though we know that's not your problem. Enjoy that beast of a card.

I was running a single GTX 1080 with a Corsair 750 watt PS without issue, but I know the Ti will pull some more power. That being said (for informational purposes only) I installed a Corsair AX1200 PS along with two GTX 1080 cards, and my total load is now running about 480 watts in game (Elite Dangerous). Seems like his TX750 should've been enough to power that single 1080Ti.

I was running a single GTX 1080 with a Corsair 750 watt PS without issue, but I know the Ti will pull some more power. That being said (for informational purposes only) I installed a Corsair AX1200 PS along with two GTX 1080 cards, and my total load is now running about 480 watts in game (Elite Dangerous). Seems like his TX750 should've been enough to power that single 1080Ti.

If his TX750 was brand new and in good shape but its old now and it degraded enough to fail him.

I experienced a very odd problem with a PSU that I'd sold to a guy. It was a PCP&C 950w that I had used for about a year running quad Radeon 7950's (mining crypto), then sold it for a build to a guy which powered a single Radeon 280x. It ran fine for him for about a year and a half, then the computer started having problems.

It was very sporadic and I had a hard time pinpointing it because I had swapped out the PSU and tested the PSU in a different comp with almost the same specs and it ran fine. I tested different video cards, and everything I did indicated that all his parts were good. But yet, when reassembled and tested together, it would crash. But not at my house. It only crashed at his house.
I thought maybe he had faulty wiring. But that didn't explain why the comp worked fine for him for 1.5 years.

I tried a new PSU then everything worked fine.

Maybe his electrical wiring was a little out of spec, and the PSU had degraded so it wouldn't tolerate it anymore. I don't know.
That's about the weirdest story I have about odd power problems.

I experienced a very odd problem with a PSU that I'd sold to a guy. It was a PCP&C 950w that I had used for about a year running quad Radeon 7950's (mining crypto), then sold it for a build to a guy which powered a single Radeon 280x. It ran fine for him for about a year and a half, then the computer started having problems.

It was very sporadic and I had a hard time pinpointing it because I had swapped out the PSU and tested the PSU in a different comp with almost the same specs and it ran fine. I tested different video cards, and everything I did indicated that all his parts were good. But yet, when reassembled and tested together, it would crash. But not at my house. It only crashed at his house.
I thought maybe he had faulty wiring. But that didn't explain why the comp worked fine for him for 1.5 years.

I tried a new PSU then everything worked fine.

Maybe his electrical wiring was a little out of spec, and the PSU had degraded so it wouldn't tolerate it anymore. I don't know.
That's about the weirdest story I have about odd power problems.

Did you test his system at your house?
Did you test with the quad Radeon 7950s again?
Were you running the quad 7950s 24/7 for a year? That PSU must be closer to 5+ years due to the stress done to it for that one year.

i have 2 PSUs in my system, 1200 W and a 900 watt. i had at some point tri 280x overcloked watercooled, a massive loop (1 480 and 3 360 radiators )with tons of fans , a 3820K at 4.7 GHZ and many many HDDs, for sure the 1200W wasn't enough.

it is always good to have the psu running at 85% max of its capacity, its capacitors ususally degrade with time and its rating goes lower. clean power is crucial for overclocking and system stability.

Did you test his system at your house? yes, I said "but not at my house"
Did you test with the quad Radeon 7950s again? no, didn't have them and didn't see a need to. I tested it with a Radeon 7970Ghz instead of a 280x. It worked fine with the 7970Ghz at my house. I didn't test the psu with the 7970 at his house.

Were you running the quad 7950s 24/7 for a year? That PSU must be closer to 5+ years due to the stress done to it for that one year.

more or less, around a year with quad 7950's. PSU was warrantied for 9 years. Running a component at 95% for a year doesn't mean you burn 5 years of life off the psu. Show me reference data otherwise.

I remember the psu drawing about 1020-1040W at the wall. That's about 10% less than what [H] tested it to. So, I was running it at about 90% capacity.

The psu was rated to output 950w, and I ran it under that. Whether or not a manufacturer selected components with expected lifespans and assumed 20% utilization, then that's on the manufacturer. They provided a power rating and didn't say it's only good for that power rating for 1420 hours.

Besides, the psu still works fine. I have it running in a different computer now. It just didn't work reliably at his house with that video card. Like I said, it doesn't make sense, but the fact is, the computer is stable with a new psu.

Last edited:
If his TX750 was brand new and in good shape but its old now and it degraded enough to fail him.

Maybe, maybe not. He'll find out soon enough. The odd thing is he's getting crashes when watching YouTube with the 1080ti while running fine playing games with his 970. The PSU load in these two situations would be far greater with the 970.

Corsair 850HX and 1080 Strix, same issue. I took the Strix back and an have a new computer with a Seasonic. Now I just need an AIB Ti to test with. :)

Currently running 680's in SLI. No issues at all. I don't know what it was, the HX would shut down, reboot, and go from there. I did hear a definite 'snap' from the PSU. Like a relay or something. It would 'snap' off then 'snap' back on again.

More powerful PSU's won't necessarily run more efficiently. Peak efficiency is right around 50% load which you would be under 100% of the time on a single 1080Ti using a 1000 watt power supply.

If you're anticipating 400-500 watts of consumption, 650-750 is going to be your sweet spot. You'll be a bit over 50% load when gaming, and quite a bit under during idle states which ends up averaging you out to slightly less than 50% load overall, and still plenty of overhead while not having spent more money then you needed to.

This. For a single card scenario with an OCd CPU, I feel like 750ish is going to be most peoples' sweet spot (assuming you're not running 10000 hdds or something silly). You can definitely get away with lower though. Going much higher than 850 is generally a waste for most folks.

Corsair is worst possible PSU you can have in my experience. I had the HX1050 and that thing screamed with cards in SLi even though all calculators will have you believe that you only need 800 watts tops w/ two 780s/970s/980 Tis in SLi. Replaced it with an EVGA 1300 W G2 el-cheapo edition and since then I have thrown everything at this comp without issue. I would never skimp on a PSU part. I suggest going EVGA G2 1300 or P2 1200 and just never thinking about this part again for the next 10 years. That's what I have done. I am on my year 3 with this PSU.

I am waiting on delivery of a Seasonic 850, hopefully today. The PSU did ok until I installed the 1080Ti. Guess that card was too much for the PSU.

I am waiting on delivery of a Seasonic 850, hopefully today. The PSU did ok until I installed the 1080Ti. Guess that card was too much for the PSU.

The power draw at full load for the GTX 970 should have been around 275 watts. Since they've made improvements in efficiency of the 10xx series cards the power draw of the GTX 1080Ti should be around the same if not a little less, should it not?

EDIT: Possibly not, since I just looked at another review of just the GTX 1080 (non-Ti) and it showed a draw of over 300 watts. Just doesn't seem right since I'm running two 1080's and my load was about 480 watts total in SLI.

Last edited:
The power draw at full load for the GTX 970 should have been around 275 watts. Since they've made improvements in efficiency of the 10xx series cards the power draw of the GTX 1080Ti should be around the same if not a little less, should it not?

EDIT: Possibly not, since I just looked at another review of just the GTX 1080 (non-Ti) and it showed a draw of over 300 watts. Just doesn't seem right since I'm running two 1080's and my load was about 480 watts total in SLI.

They have made improvements but a 1080ti is more than twice as fast as a 970, you aren't going to get 2x the performance with reduced power consumption from a single generation worth of development.

People and their over-rating of PSU requirements, never changes. Go for quality of component first, features/price second, excessive wattage third. Desktop socket and single card? A premium seasonic, superflower, etc 600ish platform won't even break a sweat for its entire 10 year warranty.

People and their over-rating of PSU requirements, never changes. Go for quality of component first, features/price second, excessive wattage third. Desktop socket and single card? A premium seasonic, superflower, etc 600ish platform won't even break a sweat for its entire 10 year warranty.

Yup, I've met too many people that seem to think they NEED a 1000w+ PSU for their gaming PC. In most cases they'd be better off putting the money toward a higher quality, lower wattage PSU (and maybe even get some nice QoL features like modular cables).

What was your old card? Still have it to test the system?

I just replaced an Evga Supernova 750w, 3 years old. Died 2 days after I sold the system to a friend. Short circuit protection kicked in at boot. Then when I disconnected everything it would turn on but not post. Pulled the unit and replaced with a Brand New Seasonic 600w and all is good now.

Corsair is worst possible PSU you can have in my experience. I had the HX1050 and that thing screamed with cards in SLi even though all calculators will have you believe that you only need 800 watts tops w/ two 780s/970s/980 Tis in SLi. Replaced it with an EVGA 1300 W G2 el-cheapo edition and since then I have thrown everything at this comp without issue. I would never skimp on a PSU part. I suggest going EVGA G2 1300 or P2 1200 and just never thinking about this part again for the next 10 years. That's what I have done. I am on my year 3 with this PSU.

My Corsair HX850 has started giving me issues, too. I'm going to replace it with an EVGA P2 650 (can't go wrong with a PSU sourced from Super Flower). Going to also replace my case while I'm at it. I used to SLI a pair of GTX 780 when I bought the 850W Corsair unit, which pulled around 600W from the wall. My current system only peaks around 400W.

How many amps does the 1080Ti need in 3D on the 12v rail is what you need to find out before you pick any power supply to do the job as I know some cards like a 290x would need close to 50 amps.

Now I have been running a Corsair TX 950 for 7 years now pushing a X58 chipset running a Xeon X5660 over clocked to 3.7 Ghz with boost to 4.1Ghz and a Tri X 290X New Edition clocked at 1150 /1350 .. yes they make a good power supply but you got to pay for good.

Last edited:
How many amps does the 1080Ti need in 3D on the 12v rail is what you need to find out before you pick any power supply to do the job as I know some cards like a 290x would need close to 50 amps.

Now I have been running a Corsair TX 950 for 7 years now pushing a X58 chipset running a Xeon X5660 over clocked to 3.7 Ghz with boost to 4.1Ghz and a Tri X 290X New Edition clocked at 1150 /1350 .. yes they make a good power supply but you got to pay for good.

There are 0 cards that need anywhere close to 50 amps. Thats 600 watts. No card needs that. All modern power supplies are heavily skewed towards 12v, pick the wattage necessary from a good quality PSU and be done with it.

i can highly recommend the Evga P2 750. Sure it's more power than you need, but isn't that what [H] is all about? Determining what is necessary, adding to that, defining it as overkill, than decising on something at or above that amount.

I had a Corsair TX 750 and my voltages were all over the place; I plugged this baby in and boom - steady as a rail (power supply pun). This was taken using the same program, HWMonitor, so change should be valid

Do we know what the windows event logs state at the time of shut down? This may provide some guidance on where to start.

I used to run Corsair PSUs, but the HUGE supply of refurbs at my local Microcenter - and the great reviews of EVGA PSUs - convinced me to move to EVGA last year. My Microcenter actually has an entire aisle full of Corsair refurbs.

I do though swear by Corsair RAM, cases, AIO coolers, and keyboards.

My Titan X only needs 18 amps, max. Reviews I've read of the 1080 Ti show it using up to 20 amps. Both of these cards have a TDP of 250W. The 290X has a TDP of 290W, or 24 amps of +12V power. I don't know where you got the 50 amp figure from. The only card I know of that needs 50 amps of power is the R9 295X2.

Overkill gets old really fast, take it from me. I've been running my current psu (sig) for over about a year and decided to downsize to a Seasonic Prime 650w Titanium. With my Kill-o-watt showing my max draw from the wall is maybe 380w, the 650w will do me just fine with wattage to spare.

I ain't going SLI/Xfire so really no need for anything more than say 700w. 1350w is really overkill.

I'll be putting up my 1350w motor home on the chopping block soon.

Upon reading other comments, I recommend EVGA G2 650w or the Seasonic X psu's are nice as well. If you want top of the line, BeQuiet! Dark powers would be my choice of PSU. Cheers!

Just wanted to chime in - Running the Corsair 750HX with Titan XP and no issues at all.

I had lots of PSU problems for many years. Had to be wiring. Once I connected to a UPS, never had another issue. I would have them blow out all the time, didn't matter which brand either.

Just wanted to chime in - Running the Corsair 750HX with Titan XP and no issues at all.

My Corsair HX 750 just started to coil whine when loading games up It the fan doesn't run all the time so it's not a big problem.

Back