Install XP on an internal drive in an external enclosure to run internally?

therealdrag0

Weaksauce
Would there be problems in doing this?
I have a computer that wont boot. And I can't even run a boot disk, but the drive works fine when accessed by another running puter.
So I want to know if it would work to install xp via a USB external enclosure. And then after it's installed put it back into the computer and boot it like normal?

Thoughts
Thanks.

I don't think you can install XP to a USB drive. You'd also have some other options with a newer OS, which would handle a hardware swap from one computer to another. You could install XP on another computer, and if the drive controllers are of the same type, you could pull the drive and move it back to your main system.

The bigger issue is why the drive won't boot a disc, if I'm understanding it right. If it won't boot from the XP CD, fix that problem first, and you'll be able to install like normal.

You can install Xp to a USP device. But as far as I have seen, it requires Bart's PE, and the install is a pre install environment. Good for a utilities thumb drive but little else.
If we were talking about an e-sata external, it would be no problem at all. The most you would prolly have to do is change boot order in bios.

Is there a particular reason you wish to do this this way? Do you not have access to the computer in question or something? Just experimenting?

Last edited:
You could probably do it with an eSata external HDD as long as the bios allows you to boot to external devices (most new ones will).

Yeah I get the blue screen of death when windows tries to load, and when I try to boot from the current hd or the xp cd. It starts to load. From the HD it gest into the Windows XP loading screen and loads a while and then boom. And from the CD or Safemode it loads a lot of files and then boom. Think it could be a heat issue?

Last edited:
Back