Install windows xp on one harddrive than transfer to another PC

acee

Gawd
Can I install XP on one harddrive from say PC #1 and then use that harddrive on PC #2 and it will run XP

It is possible, but there is a very high chance that you will have to re-activate XP when you move the hard drive over. This won't guaranteed to work though due to drivers, etc.

This would violate the license more than likely, unless you are doing this with a retail boxed version of XP.

as long as they have a similar setup it should work.

what do you mean by similar setup? from my knowledge as im going to be doing this on my friends PC or say PC #1.. his is P4, 1gb and integrated video card...

then im putting the harddrive with windows XP that I installed from PC #1 into my PC.. (PC #2) which is AMD 3200+ 2.2ghz, 1gb, ati radeon x800... would this work nicely?

and i'll be using the retail XP.. not OEM

If you start the install with the "WINNT32 /SYSPART" command Windows Setup will copy all the necessary boot files and temporary Setup files to the drive and mark the partition as active. You can then install the drive in another computer, turn the computer on, and continue with Setup. This will install the correct drivers.
To use the winnt32 /syspart command, the following conditions must exist:
You can run the command from a Microsoft Windows NT based computer.
The server or workstation must contain two hard disks; the second hard disk must be the destination disk.
The second hard disk must have a primary partition. The /syspart switch sets this partition as active..
The second hard disk must be formatted so that Setup can copy files to it.
There are no limitations as to the hardware in the target computer.

i have got it sorted out. It was the previous installed OS that was causing this. So I did a fresh new install of OS and now it works. Yay... now i just need to find the drivers haha.. this PC #2 is giving me problems almost each day :rolleyes:

Back