install win7 on my new macbook pro

jarthel

Limp Gawd
I just got the laptop today. It's a work PC and as such, I need to install win7 for some of the software we used.

When I said install, I meant I'll wipe the disk (or maybe just delete the HFS partition) and then install Windows 7. Is this the correct way of doing it? I thought of boot camp but I really have no use for a dual-boot laptop.

Can someone tell me which hardware didn't work because win7 doesn't come with the driver? Also, where did you get the driver?

Thank you :)

so you plan on only using win7 on your new mbp?

drivers are on the install disc that came with your mbp.

Why not use VirtualBox and have a Windows 7 VM instead of getting rid of OS X? Why get a MacBook Pro if you have to use Win 7? Why not get a Thinkpad or Latitude or something like that?

Use boot camp and dual boot. The Win 7 drivers are on the Snow Leopard disk.

I'm using Boot Camp to install Win 7 right now. So far, it's a very smooth install.

You could wipe the OSX partition completely off, but I would just dual boot, as it will be easier to go back to OSX in the future.

I'm confused too, why not just get a thinkpad?

Oh man the questions...

WHY would you get a MBP if you are going to run Windows on it and dump OSX?

???

Oh man the questions...

WHY would you get a MBP if you are going to run Windows on it and dump OSX?

???

Because those other laptops look fugly.... I have yet to see a nice looking windows laptop besides the voodoo envy, but those cost way more than a macbook.

Just wait until you start using the touchpad with Apple's Windows drivers!
I can safely say it's unusable. It almost feels usable, but it's just too touchy and frustrating. It's actually dangerous, I've come close to accidentally deleting things or moving them inadvertently.. like system files and such.

I have Win7 x64 on my Unibody 17", and like many people it's not extremely stable. The most popular symptom is a total system freeze for no apparent reason. All drivers are the latest. No idea what's causing it, and it's over all Windows (32-bit and 64-bit) on the unibodies.

Just wait until you start using the touchpad with Apple's Windows drivers!

QFT I have windows 7 on my 13MBP, but I won't boot into it if I don't have my vx nano in my bag. Come to think of it, I've only ever booted into it a couple of times. Have yet to find a need!

You could wipe the OSX partition completely off, but I would just dual boot, as it will be easier to go back to OSX in the future.

I'm confused too, why not just get a thinkpad?
Cuz MBPs are just kewl, man!! :cool:

No doubt they are cool, but even a fanboy like me wouldn't have purchased one if I was going to run windows on it all the time.

The machine is seriously sexy, that isn't debatable. But to buy it solely for that reason? Give me your job!

whatever reasons why I choose a mac, it's my own and completely unrelated to the topic :)

whatever reasons why I choose a mac, it's my own and completely unrelated to the topic :)

I'd dual boot first, just so you are sure that you enjoy the windows 7 experience on your mac. But, like the choice of computer, the choice of dual booting or not is completely yours. ;)

I'd dual boot first, just so you are sure that you enjoy the windows 7 experience on your mac. But, like the choice of computer, the choice of dual booting or not is completely yours. ;)

I thought I already made my intentions very clear as mentioned in the 1st post?

No doubt they are cool, but even a fanboy like me wouldn't have purchased one if I was going to run windows on it all the time.

The machine is seriously sexy, that isn't debatable. But to buy it solely for that reason? Give me your job!
You took me far too seriously. ;)

Just wondering why else other than looks is there to get a MacBook Pro for you? Honestly Apple's, Windows drivers are god awful, the trackpad sucks, the keyboard backlight doesn't turn off, the sound is much quieter than it is on OS X. It just seems like a complete waste of time and money to get a MacBook Pro for the sole use of running Windows 7.

But in the end it is your choice and your money, I just dont understand why you would need a MacBook Pro for that battery life can be found on ThinkPads, that is for sure.

Just wondering why else other than looks is there to get a MacBook Pro for you? Honestly Apple's, Windows drivers are god awful, the trackpad sucks, the keyboard backlight doesn't turn off, the sound is much quieter than it is on OS X. It just seems like a complete waste of time and money to get a MacBook Pro for the sole use of running Windows 7.

But in the end it is your choice and your money, I just dont understand why you would need a MacBook Pro for that battery life can be found on ThinkPads, that is for sure.

Vanity

Back