Install Vista x64 on my new Raptor, not working!!

Frostex

2[H]4U
I've got a P5E mobo which i've currently got 2x WD Rator 36Gb SATA drives enabled for a RAID 0 array, i've also got a 3rd IDE 200Gb WD drive. I've just added a new Velociraptor 300Gb drive to the mix and tried to boot off my Vista x64 disc and install and everything goes according to plan except for when it gets to the copying files part.

The first stage of "copying files" works, but the 2nd stage of "exapnding files" just sits at 0% for ever.

I've tried unplugging all my drives and just leaving the 300gb Velociraptor on there by itself and I get the same behaviour.

Booting back into my windows install on my RAID 0 array with the 300gb plugged in, I can see the drive and the few mb of temp files the vista installer put on there, and i've written several Gb of data and read it back from the drive and it sounds OK.

Im a system administrator and have worked with PC's for 10 years, I've handled all this kit well and Im fairly certain its not broken, its just Vista x64 Ultimate isn't playing ball :/

Any ideas?

I have a Q9450 @ 3.6ghz in there, 4x1gb corsair ram and as i said a Asus P5E motherboard.

Any help much appreciated.

First, try formatting the drive using the Vista setup. If that works fine and it still doesn't copy, take your overclock DOWN TO DEFAULTS. There's reason to believe that a previously proven stable OC will not be stable in Vista x64 ONLY, for whatever reason.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1321434

Also, make sure you're using a copy of Vista x64 that has SP1 slipstreamed, or you'll have problems because of the amount of memory you have in the system. Vista x64 still has some issues with amounts of memory over 2GB, and Microsoft released patches to address that, which would only be included in the service pack or after you installed Windows and did the Windows Update.

The OC is prime95 stable, i've already tested that.

I set clocks to default, took out 3 sticks of ram leaving 1gb, switched the mobo from SATA RAID to ICHA, made sure the drive was in SATA port 1 and disabled all my other drives and it installed OK.

I'm fairly sure it was an issue with not using SATA port 1 (or 0) whatever.

Thansk for the input though, got it all up and running nicely :)

You can boot from any SATA port. My guess is, since you had the original drives in RAID0 (ugh), the controller was set for RAID functionality, and by switching controllers, you eleiminated that part of the equation. And yes, never installed while overclocked, even if you believe it is stable.

Back