Install Vista SP1 and enable DX10.1! should I do it?

Chances are that the video card you have isn't even DX10.1 compatible. Even if it is, DX10.1 offers really nothing over DX10.

ya I know but it should be backward compatible so no harm, and maybe the SP1 will help make the Vista more….acceptable

You wont see any difference, nothing is written to use the extra features of DX10.1 yet.
As far as installing SP1 goes, I'd wait a short while to see if there are any major issues.
Each to their own though :)

When is that article from? SP1 is in release candidate form available from technet and is at build 17158 right now... I highly recommend installing it. It fixes a lot of little nagging bugs like Vista being unable to count worth a damn in file transfers, speeds those up as well, and introduces EFI support and boots quite a bit faster as well.

In order to upgrade to another version of SP1 you just uninstall it from add/remove, and then download and install the new one.

As far as I can tell, ATI's current drivers (7.12) don't report that they support 10.1. I think ATI may be waiting until SP1 is actually RTM before they release 10.1 supporting drivers.

When is that article from? SP1 is in release candidate form available from technet and is at build 17158 right now... I highly recommend installing it. It fixes a lot of little nagging bugs like Vista being unable to count worth a damn in file transfers, speeds those up as well, and introduces EFI support and boots quite a bit faster as well.

In order to upgrade to another version of SP1 you just uninstall it from add/remove, and then download and install the new one.

I found it
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb738089.aspx
so it's still RC not final, I thought it would be some kind of a leaked final
I'll wait the final ;) oh wait, so I can install this then remove it and install the final when it comes

I'll install it now :D, wait...it's time limited and the instructions confused me :confused: I'll wait for the final :D

I'd personally pass on installing non-final versions of service packs in case I have to reinstall the OS to install the final one, but if it's a machine you'd not be too bothered about doing that on then you could try it.

I have been using SP1 for over a month now with no real issues at all.

All my games play. All my programs run.

As to DX10.1, I don't think my 8800GTS512 supports it (or maybe I'm wrong)

I will need to check and see what my system says.

Also, SP1 does make the file copying MUCH faster between network drives, USB drives and even partitions.

Just do a backup before you install it if you are worried. Use the one built into Vista or something like Ghost.

Good Luck

SP1 RC Refresh, the latest release, went without a hitch and seems to have speeded up everything for me. Vista seems pretty SNAPPY now. Benches show increase as does Crysis bench (both DX9 and 10) Very pleased and unexpected. ALso solved several other problems for me.

SP1 RC Refresh, the latest release, went without a hitch and seems to have speeded up everything for me. Vista seems pretty SNAPPY now. Benches show increase as does Crysis bench (both DX9 and 10) Very pleased and unexpected. ALso solved several other problems for me.

Huh? What happened to the choir preaching Vista has no problems? According to bbz_ghost and the likes there weren't supposed to be anything to fix!

Inquiring minds want to know.. :rolleyes:

Where i can find this update? yesterday i ran the WINDows update and i saw like 48 important updates but none were the SP1.

It is official already? or this is beta?

its a release client, which means it is releasable, they are just holding it, looking for bugs.

Back