Install Vista 32 bit now or wait for 64 bit

icehole

[H]ard|Gawd
I ordered a copy of Vista Home Premium Upgrade and am planning on ordering the 64-bit version from Microsoft as soon as I get the Key #.

I am planning to run Xp and Vista in dual boot and am in no hurry to get Vista installed.

Should I install Vista 32 bit now just to play around with or should I just wait for the 64 bit version to get here?

Also, can I install the 64 bit version while leaving my XP drive connected without the XP key being deactivated? I know if I install the 32 bit upgrade I will have to disconnect my XP drive.

I say go for 64-bit. Vista itself is kind of annoying, but go with the 64-bit version if you're going for it now.

RAM is dirt cheap, and you'll need the 64-bit version to address all the memory you'll buy this year. I have 6GB because I found 4GB for under $90 to go with my 2GB I bought in September. 6GB allows for nice precaching, and most of my apps start in 2-3 seconds now. It rocks.

Going for the 32-bit version will just be a burden and limit your future.

I'd hold off for the 64bit version, no sense installing it if you're only going to reinstall in another week or so (whatever time it takes).

Technically, you're not supposed to use the XP install after you've installed Vista. There are ways to do a clean install with an upgrade, just search the forum and you'll find it.

I'd hold off for the 64bit version, no sense installing it if you're only going to reinstall in another week or so (whatever time it takes).

Technically, you're not supposed to use the XP install after you've installed Vista. There are ways to do a clean install with an upgrade, just search the forum and you'll find it.

I have read the method of doing a clean install with the 32bit upgrade version but I have read some posts that say the 64bit version isn't an upgrade and can be installed without deactivating XP. I was wondering if anybody here knows that as fact?

The OEM copies are cheaper than the upgrades by $30 on Newegg.com anyway, and don't offer any advantages. Don't buy an upgrade version, get the full install OEM.

I have my WinXP install intact on my first hard drive and my Vista 64-bit on the second hard drive so they can dual boot. I just switch the booting hard drive order in the bios to switch between them.

I still say go 64-bit now so that you don't limit your future memory upgrading.

The OEM version is tied to my hardware. What happens when I decide to get a new motherboard and CPU?

The OEM version is tied to my hardware. What happens when I decide to get a new motherboard and CPU?

You could tell them you have to replace hardware, and you are running it on one machine (not untrue). If it worries you, go with the upgrade and ditch the XP. I don't think you'll miss it, I don't. I can't speak for you obviously, but going back to XP at this point isn't any more appealing than going back to Windows 2000, or 98, etc., as far as I am concerned.

The upgrade is a big hassle. Only get it if money is of big concern. Otherwise stick with buying a new OS not from your OEM as they tend to have the DVD locked with specific configurations (e.g. Vista 32 bit installation only or some other modifications).

Back