Install video card and sound drivers only without control panel/control center.

Super Mario

Limp Gawd
I am looking for a way to customize driver installations so that only the dirvers are installed and not the customized application that comes with many of them.

Like I would like to install NVIDIA video card driver only without the NVIDIA service and control panel. I also want to do so for ATI video cards where only the driver is installed and not the Catalyst Control Center. I do not even want the ATI service installed which still installs anyway even if you select to not install the CCC during installation. Also I want to be able to install Realtek AC97 and HD audio drivers without the Realtek sound.aduio manager software installing with it.

Basically, I want to install the sound and video card drivers just so the drivers only are installed and Windows Device Manager recognizes the device for what it is and nothing else at all is installed kind of like when Windows has its own driver built in for video card and sound cards that are older then the current version of Windows.

I am looking to do this for both Windows XP/2003 64-bit and Windows Vista/7 64-bit.

I have looked everywhere online for information about how to modify the inf files to do it, but have not found anything able to help me.

Does anyone have any suggestions or links to download drivers only that won;t install the associated application/services with it for ATI/NVIDIA video cards and Realtek sound controllers?

With ATI, if you visit their site, you can download just the driver. Go to their download section, input graphics, OS and series, then view results. Scroll down page until you find 'Display Driver Only'.

For Nvidia, you can do the same thing. First download a program called 7-Zip, which is an Archiving program. Then download whatever Nvidia driver you want. Right click the driver package and go to 7-Zip -> Extract to (name of driver). It will create a folder with the same driver name in the directory. Then simply open the folder, Delete the PhysX_(version).msi file, the NVCPLSETUPINT file (control panel), the 3D Vision setup file, and the HD audio setup file. Then run the setup file within that to install the driver, or point the Device Manager driver update to the folder.

For some stuff, your simply not going to get rid of services. I have Nvidia display driver service running (NVSVC). You can't disable that and still have the driver to work. Not installing the control panel might keeps some of the helper services from running though (not sure).

Back