Install OS X on PC?

xphantg0d

Gawd
Is it possible to install OS X on pc? and if it is how? I am pretty sure you can do this since my friend told he he did it a while ago.

You cannt install OSX on a pc, but there was a project working on an emulator similar to virtual pc, but I haven't heard about it in a while, and it would run extremely slow.

You could install Darwin, the underlying core, but it's no OSX.

It's called PearPC, and it works with some caveats:
  • It's an emulator, so it's slow.
  • In Windows, you don't get networking support... yet. (new version claims support)
  • Not all parts of the MacOS are fully functional in the emulator... yet.

I like it. It works pretty well for me. I would like to mention that I have a legal copy of OS X, and would suggest anyone who uses PearPC get a legal copy of OS X—I'm not just a legal advocate when it comes to Windows, but for all OSes. ;)

There it is.
So...is it slow?

- I am just not spelling anything right today.

Lemme put it this way: imagine running Windows XP on a 486. Now, that's version 0.1.2 that I have, so the newest may be a bit snappier (practice makes perfect-er). But yeah, it's slow.

I still love it. It's the only physical access to MacOS I have until I get this iMac I got for free fixed.

Yesterday evening at 23:00 one of my best friends, one of my best critics, one of the most valuable programmers of PearPC, the one who could help me in all situations, the one with whom I had the best time of my life, died after getting hit by a train.

Stefan 'steveman' Weyergraf -- Rest In Peace. We'll never forget you.
So are they still working on the program. I was told that this person was one of the main developers who passed away? Also where can i get instructions on installing it? and installing OS X on it?

Read more than the first paragraph in on the page. There exist pretty detailed instructions on the documentation page. Read slowly and carefully.

GreNME said:
Lemme put it this way: imagine running Windows XP on a 486. Now, that's version 0.1.2 that I have, so the newest may be a bit snappier (practice makes perfect-er). But yeah, it's slow.

I still love it. It's the only physical access to MacOS I have until I get this iMac I got for free fixed.
notthing will happpen if you xp on a 486 atleast i dont think so. tomshardware ran xp with pentoum 1 100MHZ with 512 with no problems

Isn't that special that Toms said so. What will happen is that it will run like ass. Trust me, I've done this myself. I even did someone the favor of removing XP from a machine that was running at a whopping 66Mhz and stuck on something that would actually get adequate performance (a GUI-less *nix).

It runs slow. That's the point.

Let me give you a slide show from PearPC starting up to starting an app:
  • Step One: booting up from the exe and config file off the disk image
    loading.jpg

• Step Two: getting to the graphical screen
    loading2.jpg

• Step Three: logged in and ready to rock
    loaded.jpg

• Step Four: trying to start Safari
    loaded2.jpg

Total elapsed time from beginning startup to getting Safari opened: roughly 15 minutes

Machine specs: Athy XP 2600+ (Barton); 1256 MB RAM; GF FX 5200

Your times may vary depending on your machine specs. However, the performance is slooow. Apps take minutes to start. The OS takes forever to initially load. However, for those curious to see how OS X works (not how fast), this is a good first step. Like I said, I'm playing with this until I get the iMac I now own fixed, to get some of the feel down. It is not a fully-functional, completely useful emulation of the MacOS yet.

xphantg0d said:
Is it possible to install OS X on pc? and if it is how? I am pretty sure you can do this since my friend told he he did it a while ago.
May I ask why you want to install OS X on a PC?

You don't read too well, do you? Not only is it possible, but a link was given, and I even showed pictures of it.

Gawd, I hate people who read the first post and then reply.

GreNME said:
You don't read too well, do you? Not only is it possible, but a link was given, and I even showed pictures of it.

Sorry, but even if darwin is open source your going to have a problem getting all of the nice things that live on os ten ( quartz etc ) over to the x86 world. Emulation doesn't cut it since the emulated version of os ten runs about 40 times slower than it should.

Its going to take time, but to have the same os ten that mac users enjoy on a AMD box is a wishful fantasy for you right now.

Mushroom Prince said:
Sorry, but even if darwin is open source your going to have a problem getting all of the nice things that live on os ten ( quartz etc ) over to the x86 world. Emulation doesn't cut it since the emulated version of os ten runs about 40 times slower than it should.

Its going to take time, but to have the same os ten that mac users enjoy on a AMD box is a wishful fantasy for you right now.
You == still effing illiterate

Allow me to repeat: I already covered this. I repeat again: I already covered this. One more time:

I already covered this!

He did already cover it. I'm going to say to that this should be kept a civil discussion guys.

We've gone over this already. OSX will run in emulation on a PC. It works. Is it fast? No, but that wasn't the question. The question was can it work and the answer is yes, it will. It's useful for people that want to see the OSX environment and maybe lean a little about it. Is it useful for everyday applications? No, I think that has already been covered.

GreNME said:
You == still effing illiterate

Allow me to repeat: I already covered this. I repeat again: I already covered this. One more time:

I already covered this!

take some zoloft with some green tea why don't you ?

Get "Hooked on Phonics" and learn to read, why don't you?

Now, you have two options:
  1. Simply say, "sorry, I didn't read," and be done with it. Issue over.
  2. Start trying to one-up with inane little flames and get the topic closed after a moderator has already made it clear to keep it civil.

The choice is yours.

Man, I love PC people.
Always complaining about Apple and how it sucks, but then wanting to attempt to install OSX on a PC.
Please stick to Unix, Linux, Windows. Us Apple people will never bother you with equally stupid questions like "can we load OS2 warp on the PPC platform?"

With the ever dropping prices of used Apple equipment, you can get an iMac for 200.00 and have all the fun you want with OSX, or even OS9 if you care to. I hate reading threads across the web like this. However, that is cool that there is an emulator to put OSX on a PC, it wont work like a real Mac, so you wont be happy anyway.

So whats the point?

The-Hole said:
With the ever dropping prices of used Apple equipment, you can get an iMac for 200.00 and have all the fun you want with OSX, or even OS9 if you care to.
Or you could put a PPC build of NT4 on an iMac, just because. I'd like to do that some day.

The-Hole said:
Man, I love PC people.
You really don't want to open that can of worms.

The-Hole said:
Always complaining about Apple and how it sucks, but then wanting to attempt to install OSX on a PC.
Please stick to Unix, Linux, Windows. Us Apple people will never bother you with equally stupid questions like "can we load OS2 warp on the PPC platform?"
Because the answer is clearer when regarding the powerpc platform—the answer is no. You're not allowed to run anything but what Master Jobs allows.

The-Hole said:
With the ever dropping prices of used Apple equipment, you can get an iMac for 200.00 and have all the fun you want with OSX, or even OS9 if you care to.
You mean an old, slow, first-rev iMac? You know, the ones that can't run X in anything but the lowest mode possible visually? Gee, that's not much different than running it emulated. Having seen both, I can attest to that. Can you say you've seen as much?

The-Hole said:
I hate reading threads across the web like this. However, that is cool that there is an emulator to put OSX on a PC, it wont work like a real Mac, so you wont be happy anyway.

So whats the point?
What's the point of you posting here just to flame? Just because something is emulated does not mean it won't work the same. I use VMWare and VirtualPC quite often, running various Windows and *nix on them, and have had the same functionality as running on real hardware. And those are commercial programs. The people working on projects like PearPC are doing this for free, simply because they want to, and they've gotten as far as getting key features of an OS that was only supposed to work on a Macintosh running in emulation on a PC—something plenty of people said couldn't be done in the first place.

Yes, they'll probably not have Altivec emulated any time soon, nor the video abilities to take advantage of visual goodies in the latest X builds. However, from a development standpoint, these guys—who are doing this project for free and for fun—have already shown that they can accomplish what most people thought was a pipe dream.

Obviously, this thread has outlived its usefulness when people come here from the Apple section just to piss on the "PC People" they seem to hold in such disdain.

The-Hole said:
So whats the point?

Point is some of us have to support various platforms to different degrees, emulation like Pear PC, VMWare, and Virtual PC allow us to mimic many different environments without the need for dedicated hardware running each OS or having to reload the OS and applications over and over for testing.

GreNME said:

Ya It is especially annoying if your the one who has the question.

The-Hole said:
Man, I love PC people.

With the ever dropping prices of used Apple equipment, you can get an iMac for 200.00 and have all the fun you want with OSX, or even OS9 if you care to. I hate reading threads across the web like this. However, that is cool that there is an emulator to put OSX on a PC, it wont work like a real Mac, so you wont be happy anyway.

So whats the point?
I never said Apples suck I just prefer PCs. But obviously I am interested in learning more about the capabilities of a mac and i think the easiest way and best way to start is by trying out os x.

xphantg0d said:
I never said Apples suck I just prefer PCs. But obviously I am interested in learning more about the capabilities of a mac and i think the easiest way and best way to start is by trying out os x.
That is one of the reasons I gave when opining about its continued existence. And I quote (myself):
Like I said, though, I seriously hope this doesn't happen. I hope Apple realizes that a) no matter how hard you try to lock something down, people will always find ways around it, and b) this has the large possibility of being a Good Thing™ for Apple, getting a whole new audience of people who have probably always wondered what was so great about their product, but never curious enough to seek out a Macintosh to try it out on. I really think that this is going to be a positive influence for Apple.

Back